Options

Loud pops and burning smell from circuit breaker box

shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
Forum Member
✭✭
Is this a simple fuse replacement or do I need someone to take a look at it? I heard two loud pops and then noticed a burning smell from my Volex Protector box (similar to the one I found in this image).

Consequently the light in the hallway doesn't work but funnily enough none of the switches actually moved and everything else is working.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a sparky out. If you do not know what you are doing electricity can be very nasty. If the breaker for the faulty light is identified on the box then I would advise turning it off even if the breaker itself hasn't tripped. Just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    If in doubt with electrics get someone out. If you've got anything like Homecare from British Gas that may cover the electrics (ours does but we've never used it for that)..

The breaker box should never smell and pop (it should click/thunk if the breaker trips).

However are you sue the smell wasn't from the light, as they can smell/pop if they fail.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought the only time a light would smell would be if the current had melted the rubber surrounding the wires. I'd definitely isolate that light and call an electrician.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    Is this a simple fuse replacement or do I need someone to take a look at it? I heard two loud pops and then noticed a burning smell from my Volex Protector box (similar to the one I found in this image).

Consequently the light in the hallway doesn't work but funnily enough none of the switches actually moved and everything else is working.

If you have a burning smell coming from it you need a electrician to check it out ASAP