Freesat & freetime+ in rural France

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Ahh, yes I think there's still more to do. My main machine I'm typing on is working well, but my wife's laptop and our son's are either going slowly or not working well. They are still accessing the SFR wi-fi network, but I think it might be a DNS problem. I've flushed the DNS cache a few times and that seems to cure it for a while, but soon it slows down again. The new Foxsat is set up, but I'm waiting for enough ethernet to be delivered in the morning to hook it up to the dd wrt router in the office. I'm not sure how to go about setting up the two networks right now, but I imagine that will help with the crosstalk that seems to be going on? B PS. I copied a bunch of recordings off the old foxsat box, but there doesn't seem to be a file manager on the new one at all, which means we're probably going to have to hook the old one back up just to watch saved stuff.
    Forum Member
    great news

Yes, I have internal 2 networks.
    In simple terms the BBOX ISP router has 2 networks, one has an Internet address from the ISP and the other the internal private network 192.168.1.x for my devices to access the Internet using NAT. The TP-link router also has 2 networks sides, 1 with an IP for the 192.168.1.x and the other has the 2nd private address range 192.168.2.x.

Ahh, so I set up the NAT on the SFR router to translate the 192.168.2.x addresses into 192.168.1.x addresses? Right now, I have the SFR router at ...1.1 and my new tp-link router at ...1.3 but while my wired connection to the sfr router seems to be fine, and my wifi connection to the sfr router from *my* laptop also seems okay, my wife and son are complaining of dropouts on their laptops are they are only a few feet away from the router (sfr). I have flushed DNS cache a few times, which seems to improve things for a while, but then it all goes horrible again. I'm actually wondering whether my dd wrt router needs to serve dns at all? B
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    You should use the DNS servers provided by SFR, no need to set any addresses, the SFR router runs a DHCP server to assign addresses and DNS settings automatically, DNS IP will be the same address as the default gateway of the SFR router. If you want to try different DNS servers then use the public google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
    Forum Member
    I tried to draw an ascii picture of the network but with the way that the forum clears out extra spaces and returns, it was all screwed up, so I drew a picture... :D This is how the network is right now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ryzdh2y2y1cdoa/network.png?dl=0 Does that look right? Obviously I'm bound to have forgotten vital points... B
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BeeVee wrote: »
    I tried to draw an ascii picture of the network but with the way that the forum clears out extra spaces and returns, it was all screwed up, so I drew a picture... :D This is how the network is right now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ryzdh2y2y1cdoa/network.png?dl=0 Does that look right? Obviously I'm bound to have forgotten vital points... B
    My guess is that your problem is related to the two wifi networks.
    Have you separated the channels that each router can use?
    There is a good Netgear app that will let you see your and other Wifi signals.
    Forum Member
    Actually I have, I have no control over the SFR router (to that degree) but on the dd-wrt it's set to 5GHz-only. I'm getting the Netgear wi-Fi Analyzer for my phone, thanks. B
    Forum Member
    I split the channels (dd-wrt on 6 and sfr on 11) and things seem to have improved. Thanks for your help everyone, it seems to be going okay. Also Repassac? I live in Pessac, so your username looks hmm, like a mispelling of our town (or something) :D B
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BeeVee wrote: »
    I split the channels (dd-wrt on 6 and sfr on 11) and things seem to have improved. Thanks for your help everyone, it seems to be going okay. Also Repassac? I live in Pessac, so your username looks hmm, like a mispelling of our town (or something) :D B

REPASSAC is the name of a Lieu-dit where I used to Live
    Currently living at a Lieu-dit called Job.
    A lieu-dit is a collection of houses, in the current case about 20, Frequently taking the name of a wine producing house name. The post office know which family name live in which house, delivery services don't and usually phone.

Repassage is the French word for Ironing so possibly connected with the name.
    Forum Member
    I know lieu dits well, my mum lives in St. Amant de Montmoreau in the 16 and she's actually opposite where the post lady lives... :) B