Options

Improved 5.1 audio on Sky Movies

atannatann Posts: 231
Forum Member
Having recently watched Armageddon & The Lost Boys via Ondemand, I was surprised how great the audio sounded. Have they upgrade the bit rate for Dolby Digital? Had SKYMovies for years in 5.1 and it has never sounded this good. Audio via HDMI.

Comments

• Options
    Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I've been using the digital audio out since 2002, then using Acoustic Solutions box and now LG bluray, and haven't noticed any difference in the quality. If you've been using the HDMI out then it only went 5.1 recently, the past year perhaps, can't remember exactly when. That could maybe explain it.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The audio bitrate is still 384Kbps.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Sky Movies HD 5.1 audio is shambolic quality IMHO.
  • Options
    shaun_lenchshaun_lench Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    All i can hear is the bloody music in the films and voices are are so low i have to keep turning the volume up and down.

Oh and adverts are loud too lol
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Are you using a 5.1 amp?

I am and is not an issue I've noticed
    All i can hear is the bloody music in the films and voices are are so low i have to keep turning the volume up and down.

• Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Turn the volume on your center speaker up if you're using a 5.1 system!
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atann wrote: »
    Having recently watched Armageddon & The Lost Boys via Ondemand, I was surprised how great the audio sounded. Have they upgrade the bit rate for Dolby Digital? Had SKYMovies for years in 5.1 and it has never sounded this good. Audio via HDMI.

They probably finally been provided a version from the movie distributer with and audio mix containing a lot more dynamic range. what you and i might call great, might be deemed to loud in patches and too quiet in parts, by average joe

DD.5.1 @ 384kbps has been fine for movie theatres for 2 decades finally being retired due to going to the new DCI format with lossless audio.
  • Options
    atannatann Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    They probably finally been provided a version from the movie distributer with and audio mix containing a lot more dynamic range. what you and i might call great, might be deemed to loud in patches and too quiet in parts, by average joe

DD.5.1 @ 384kbps has been fine for movie theatres for 2 decades finally being retired due to going to the new DCI format with lossless audio.

I quoted those two films Ondemand because they sounded so great. Compared to the audio I get on Blu Ray in DTS Master HD, which always sounds massively better compared to Sky, unsurprisingly!