Options

Latest HDR1000S Update / Display issue

JRTCJRTC Posts: 136
Forum Member
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone else has had any issues with the front panel display on the HDR1000S since the firmware update a couple of days ago? The icons along the top of the display which show the units status and whether the unit is recording seems to have disappeared, and all that displays now is the program name / channel.

It has been a bit temperamental in the past, however powering it down and back on usually bought it back on and I've always put it down to a bug in the firmware, but I've powered it down a few times since the update and there is nothing.

So I just wanted to know if anyone else had noticed the same before I do a reset on the box, and lost my recordings and planner info and find it is no different!

Thanks,
James.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep missing icons and reboots and box just shutting down. Some 3rd party WiFi dongles don't now work. Loads of posts at MyHumax.
  • Options
    JRTCJRTC Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I'll hold on for the time being then as it looks like I've been one of the lucky ones then as I've not had any rebooting, and my 3rd party Floureon dongle is still working.

Made me smile looking at the humax forum where someone said they had reported the icon issue to Humax and they replied that they were aware of it but there was no fix - Strange how there is no fix when it worked before! :D
  • Options
    andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    JRTC wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll hold on for the time being then as it looks like I've been one of the lucky ones then as I've not had any rebooting, and my 3rd party Floureon dongle is still working.

Made me smile looking at the humax forum where someone said they had reported the icon issue to Humax and they replied that they were aware of it but there was no fix - Strange how there is no fix when it worked before! :D

The loss of the (Dolby, playback, resolution) icons are annoying, but the loss of the recording icon is something else entirely.

The front display icon would tell you immediately whether the box is (or isn't) recording a programme without going through the rigmarole of booting up connected equipment then navigating to the "Recordings" menu.

If the loss of the icons are an unwanted side-effect of the update, it can more than likely be fixed but if it's a "feature improvement" it's a retrospective one, and seems counter-intuitive for the user to lose this facility IMO...
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JRTC wrote: »

Presumably they just mean they don't have a fix for it and there will be no fix until the next firmware issue, obviously it is fixable. If this affects everyone then it is an amazing bug and makes you wonder if they test anything at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Presumably they just mean they don't have a fix for it and there will be no fix until the next firmware issue, obviously it is fixable. If this affects everyone then it is an amazing bug and makes you wonder if they test anything at all.

At a guess it's down to Freesat rushing to release frankly poorly tested software. Their reputation is frankly poor, they insisted for weeks there wasn't an issue with the first recording of the day consistently failing. They said they couldn't reproduce the issue despite many experienced users reporting it could be replicated every time. The Freesat user forum was frankly a joke, not surprised they closed it :o

Incompetent idiots in my humble opinion. :cry:
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the display annoying, especially when it moves across. I've blanked mine out with Black Tape, much better. i can just see the red power led peeking over the top of the tape, that's all I need.
  • Options
    brush-headbrush-head Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I find this latest situation appalling. This is after all a consumer unit & you should not need to become expert in the demarcation lines twixt Freesat & Humax. I'm still considering whether to downgrade or not.
    I have noticed in between reboots that once it gets past the initial startup that it seems a tad quicker (or is this wishful thinking?). The missing icons are just an inconvenience but something I wish could be restored.
    Are there any other options to Humax for Freesat? Or is it all Freesats fault?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brush-head wrote: »
    I find this latest situation appalling. This is after all a consumer unit & you should not need to become expert in the demarcation lines twixt Freesat & Humax. I'm still considering whether to downgrade or not.
    I have noticed in between reboots that once it gets past the initial startup that it seems a tad quicker (or is this wishful thinking?). The missing icons are just an inconvenience but something I wish could be restored.
    Are there any other options to Humax for Freesat? Or is it all Freesats fault?

There are other makes of box for Freesat+ but only Humax have the Freesat+ freetime units. Rolling back the software using a usb stick is a very simple procedure. The issue is complex, my box has only rebooted twice since the update and has recorded dozens of programmes without issue during a 2 week holiday.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    The new Humax Freesat/freetime boxes i.e. 1100s have no display at all (same as my Humax Freeview 2000T).

This is the future, so I would get used to not having those icons. Speaking personally I don't know why people need to know if the box is recording or not - presumably some sort of comfort blanket?

If I set the planner then I know it's recording. Let's put it this way in 2 years of ownership I don't think it's let me down yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    The new Humax Freesat/freetime boxes i.e. 1100s have no display at all (same as my Humax Freeview 2000T).

This is the future, so I would get used to not having those icons. Speaking personally I don't know why people need to know if the box is recording or not - presumably some sort of comfort blanket?

If I set the planner then I know it's recording. Let's put it this way in 2 years of ownership I don't think it's let me down yet.

There is LED under the front of the 1100S shows red when on and blue when recording. I don't know if it is used when recording in sby. Perhaps someone with a box could confirm.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/134607-freesat-is-alive-and-well-in-the-humax-freesat-hdr-1100s-wi-fi-cheaper-and-more-compact
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is LED under the front of the 1100S shows red when on and blue when recording. I don't know if it is used when recording in sby. Perhaps someone with a box could confirm.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/134607-freesat-is-alive-and-well-in-the-humax-freesat-hdr-1100s-wi-fi-cheaper-and-more-compact

Thanks to Barry at MyHumax.

LED colouring

Red - Standby
    Blue - On
    Purple 'ish' - Recording (standby and on)
  • Options
    IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    This is the future.......

Actually it is the present
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    Actually it is the present
    But not the future.

Barry on My Humax Forum has said
    "A fix for the icon issue, and edimax dongle support has been engineered, along with improvements for the reboot problem.

No news on when it will be released, currently being tested, watch this space. "
  • Options
    IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    But not the future. "

No not the future, if the future included the present it would make everything very predictable.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    No not the future, if the future included the present it would make everything very predictable.
    See https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-software-version-20246-available
    Software available for download for those that want it. Not generally released yet. The predicted future is now the present :)
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    See https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-software-version-20246-available
    Software available for download for those that want it. Not generally released yet. The predicted future is now the present :)

Seems to make everything work again on mine, including the edimax dongle :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/data/product/1353386106/HDR-1000S_2.02.46.zip

I upgraded two days ago.

Today I lost channel 119 (ITV HD) from favourites & EPG Planner, this has not happened before.

A 10 minutes delayed reboot cured the problem..

However, I had to re-enter all the timers.

No other channels appear to have been affected.

Could this be a fault of the new software ?
  • Options
    tonyyoungtonyyoung Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I didn't lose itv HD but today did lose all the planned recordings on that channel. I had to re enter them all. I have not upgraded to the new software.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going mad then !!

Did you happen to have ITV HD as a favourite, if so, did that favourite disappear ?