America's biggest female record executive Sylvia Rhone to judge X Factor USA

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sylvia Rhone has worked herself up in the business, and has gain a renowned reputation in the industry, as a vicious but highly influential figure in the Urban market. She was the CEO for Motown Records, and has been a long time nemesis of LA Reid. She is known as the female Simon Cowell of the record industry. Well she has now moved from Motown to join LA Reid by opening her own label Venture to Culture Records in partnership with LA Reid. It is now believed she will be the replacement for LA Reid's seat on the panel, with the final seat going to a male popstar.

Source:- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sylvia-rhone-announces-joint-venture-416843

Here is some facts about Sylvia.

Sylvia Rhone is an American music industry executive who served as president of Universal Motown Records until 2011.

She has overseen a roster of artists in the Universal Motown lineup including Lil Wayne and the Cash Money artists Nicki Minaj, Drake, Kid Cudi, Nelly, Melanie Fiona, Akon, Erykah Badu, and Stevie Wonder.

October 2004, Rhone was appointed president of Motown Records and executive vice president of Universal Records. Prior to her Universal Motown role, Rhone served as chairwoman and CEO of the Elektra Entertainment Group,[1] transforming the boutique label into one of the most eclectic rosters in the music business. Rhone's appointment in 1994 as chairwoman and CEO of EEG established her as the only African American and the first woman in the history of the recording industry to attain such a title

Rhone managed such artists as En Vogue, The System, Levert, Brandy, Yo Yo, The D.O.C., MC Lyte, Chuckii Booker, Miki Howard and Gerald Albright and The Rude Boys. It was under her watch that Billboard Magazine named Atlantic the #1 Black Music Division in 1988.

The Los Angeles Times called Rhone "the most powerful woman in the music business", citing her as the only African American and the first woman in the history of the recording industry to attain the dual title.

Rhone was directly involved in the launch and guidance of multiple best selling artists, including Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes, Tracy Chapman, Yolanda Adams, Metallica, Natalie Merchant, Gerald Levert, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Fabolous, Jason Mraz, and Third Eye Blind, among others.

In 2004, Rhone was appointed president of Motown Records, executive vice president of Universal Records, with chairman of Universal Music Group, Doug Morris, calling her "a rainmaker", and Universal Motown Record Group chairman Mel Lewinter citing Rhone as a "natural to lead Motown's evolution into the future".Under Rhone's stewardship, Motown reinvigorated both roster and staff, re-tooling the label into one of the more savvy digital music business platforms. Rhone added Akon, India.Arie, Erykah Badu, Lil Wayne, Chamillionaire, Stevie Wonder and others to the label.

2012 Opened own label via EPIC Records

She has an amazing Record and could be the type of judge X Factor USA needs, getting it back to being about the contestants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Rhone

Comments

• C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing there to really indicate that she'll be doing it. But I do think it would be interesting to get a strong, successful, older woman on the panel from the business side and free up the second male spot for a younger male popstar.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doug Morris on Sylvia Rhone..

"Sylvia is one the most talented and gifted creative executives in the industry," Morris said in a statement. "She is a proven success who time-and-again has displayed a special understanding of how to inspire great artistry and develop hits. We are excited to be working with her on this new venture, and we are proud to call her a member of the Sony Music family."

"It gives me great pleasure to work alongside the most successful female record executive of all time," remarked Reid. "She has taste, style, vision and she has my complete support."

"The partnership between Vested in Culture and Epic Records marks an exciting new chapter in my career," stated Rhone. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Doug Morris and L.A. Reid, and couldn't ask to work with better music men than them. I look forward to building a great label and being a part of their continued success."

Source :- http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/record-labels/1536265/sylvia-rhones-epic-joint-venture-officially-announced-vested
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    There's nothing there to really indicate that she'll be doing it. But I do think it would be interesting to get a strong, successful, older woman on the panel from the business side and free up the second male spot for a younger male popstar.

It is looking more and more likely though, she decided to change to Sony and they are really bigging her up, there is no female out there with as much experience as her. And also im sure she would like to find some new artists for her label via X Factor, and Sony would still be benefiting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia is a trendy chick through looking at this promotion done by EPIC RECORDS themselves.

http://www.epicrecords.com/news/sylvia-rhone-announces-joint-venture-epic-records
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I dont get the need of talent shows of having big stars or label executives as judges lately. Them all end up being boring. In the specific case of X Factor they dont need that kind of "credibility", the format and the performances have to speak for itself. The judges just need to make good tv.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Simon will want a strong woman on the panel. Female judges on his shows are either his "pets" like Cheryl or those he can belittle and patronise like Nicole and Paula.
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say she is a lock to be X Factor judge. The lady looks great, but she is almost 61 years old and completely unknown to the public (more unknown than LA Reid was before X Factor in the US).

I think Simon generally prefers younger females for XF judges. Also, they will be looking for more known names. Might not be stars as big as Britney, but maybe on Demi Lovato's level.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Wow she sounds amazing, it's a shame she can't be on the panel WITH LA Reid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow she sounds amazing, it's a shame she can't be on the panel WITH LA Reid.

I think LA has left to make room for her, however she has signed every type of artist, Young/old artists, and also older acts as well. Off course she won't be known to everyone, but is probably even more respected than Simon and LA in the actual music market, due to what she has achieved. I think she would bring something different to the show, and having two older more experienced professional and then two popstars on the show, would really balance the panel out IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look, record label executives, A&R people etc. move from label to label, from one company to the other all the time. This woman's move to Sony/Epic probably means nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mateja wrote: »
    Look, record label executives, A&R people etc. move from label to label, from one company to the other all the time. This woman's move to Sony/Epic probably means nothing.

If you read her Bio she has been with Universal for over 20 years in some manner, always with motown, for some record executives this would mean nothing, but for a person with Sylvia Rhone's career it is a huge step, of a massive magnitude. She is highly respected as seen on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIBw9ekR4V4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmImJtGvgNg

She also is a very charming lady as can be seen in the interviews she has given. - starts at 1 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlnvzd4ank
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I think she would be perfect. However they'll probably end up with Leanne Rimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you read her Bio she has been with Universal for over 20 years in some manner, always with motown, for some record executives this would mean nothing, but for a person with Sylvia Rhone's career it is a huge step, of a massive magnitude. She is highly respected as seen on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIBw9ekR4V4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmImJtGvgNg

She also is a very charming lady as can be seen in the interviews she has given. - starts at 1 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlnvzd4ank

Doesn't matter. These people change labels and record companies. Some more often than others. Industry sites, like HDD, Billboard.com, Billboard.biz etc. report about it all the time.

Again, this lady is old: 61. That's older than Simon. And I think she is even more unknown to the public than La Reid. They will be looking for known names, maybe not the biggest stars like Britney, but not complete unknowns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a record executive - there to make money I would suspect above anything else. With her experience she should know what sells and how to market it to whom. I think that given that X Factor is a commercial venture I can personally see why she would be chosen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    She is a record executive - there to make money I would suspect above anything else. With her experience she should know what sells and how to market it to whom. I think that given that X Factor is a commercial venture I can personally see why she would be chosen.

Totally Agree :) Very few if any females can compete with her industry experience.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason she is on the move is because Doug Morris, who was her boss at Universal, is now at Sony Music. He was the one that brought LA Reid in as well and Sylvia Rhone's departure was announced around the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    The main reason she is on the move is because Doug Morris, who was her boss at Universal, is now at Sony Music. He was the one that brought LA Reid in as well and Sylvia Rhone's departure was announced around the same time.

Dough Morris is a VERY influential man :) he is smart getting these two on the same side.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    I doubt Simon will want a strong woman on the panel. Female judges on his shows are either his "pets" like Cheryl or those he can belittle and patronise like Nicole and Paula.

Not true at all. Did you see Dannii and Sharon? Dannii was soft spoken but was clear when she disagreed with him. And Sharon! She was definitely not his pet nor someone who he could belittle without some sort of response! Sharon and Dannii weren't controlled, they were incredibly strong characters (I don't like Dannii as I've made clear in many threads but I still think she needs to be given a little bit of credit at least).
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Katy Perry please. :)
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love this. She'd be perfect.
    JustArun wrote: »
    Katy Perry please. :)

NEVER over Sylvia Rhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original poster stated in the thread title that this lady is 100% replacing LA Reid on the X Factor panel. That Hollywood Reporter article didn't mention X Factor in any way. Jumping to conclusions much?

I really don't think unknown old female record label executives are on the minds of producers.

Considering Miley Cyrus just left Disney for RCA (Sony), Miley is going to replace Britney on the panel. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    The only evidence to this happening is this thread. This thread is #2 on a google search for "Sylvia Rhone X Factor." I'm skeptical.