How far does the main Mendip transmitter travel?

iceolaiceola Posts: 1,315
Forum Member
✭✭✭
excluding Wales
Worcestershire Warwickshire Oxfordshire Berkshire Hampshire?

Comments

• kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a lot according to https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Mendip
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people in Swindon get mendip (usually with a big aerial).

As in all these situations, it's not just about distance which determines signal strength....obstructions such as hills or very tall buildings sitting between u and the signal is more important.....so, I am closer to the mendip signal than Swindon yet the signal strength here is weaker - to the point of being unusable for most people - which is why there is a local relay mast for this area. The city of Bath is even closer to mendip yet due to very big hills, the city has its own relay mast.
    Argos recently printed a diagram (don't know if it's still in there) in their book, illustrating signal strength over distance, so u could get a rough idea of which aerial u needed. But clearly, that's rubbish as it doesn't take into account obstructions such as hills.
  • David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have receved it at my Grandmonthers place in the westbourn part of Bournemouth with a viertical polarised aerial pointing at the westbourn realy which was in the same direction as Mendip. That was in analogue days.
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,146
    Forum Member
    I used to pick it up just about (BBC channels) on a set-top aerial out of a south-facing upstairs window on the North side of Worcester.

It also comes in most of the time at my parents' place in Brixham, Devon on their Stockland Hill facing log periodic antenna (Mendip is pretty much exactly behind Stockland from there, with about a degree difference in bearing so the aerial is pointing in the right direction already)!
  • JonCollettJonCollett Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    A lot of people in Swindon get mendip (usually with a big aerial).

As in all these situations, it's not just about distance which determines signal strength....obstructions such as hills or very tall buildings sitting between u and the signal is more important.....so, I am closer to the mendip signal than Swindon yet the signal strength here is weaker - to the point of being unusable for most people - which is why there is a local relay mast for this area. The city of Bath is even closer to mendip yet due to very big hills, the city has its own relay mast.
    Argos recently printed a diagram (don't know if it's still in there) in their book, illustrating signal strength over distance, so u could get a rough idea of which aerial u needed. But clearly, that's rubbish as it doesn't take into account obstructions such as hills.

Most people in Swindon can probably get Mendip, the signal is strong, but Oxford is a viable alternative in those parts of the town where Mendip is not so good (usually the east of Swindon). The Northern area of the town has a local Mendip relay (Seagry Court). Hannington is also receivable in parts of the town too.

In the old days it meant that 3 ITVs regions were receivable HTV, Central (or ATV if you are old school) and Meridian (TVS/Southern). I used to live on high ground and could also receive Crystal Palace (LWT/Thames) under normal conditions and Stockland Hill (TSW) during a lift. A friend lived in old town and could get good pictures from Wenvoe. I could also receive Ridge Hill under normal conditions in Rodbourne, but I used that for Central because the Oxford signal wasn't great there.

As has already been said, height and obstacles greatly impact whether a distant signal can be received or not. During lift conditions I now regularly receive Dutch TV, but I have a sea path with no obstacles in between (obviously I don't still live in Swindon :D ).