Options

How do you dress your christmas tree?

Comments

• Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't dress mine as it's a small fibre optic tree. Much less hassle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is purple and silver, all matching. It'll be our second christmas in our first home so everything's dead new.

My parents tree is covered in loads of un matched things, me and my sister would get to choose a new decoration each year, so there's everything from a pine cone to a beanie baby!
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have it full of home-made things. Things my son made at nursery and school, knitted and felt Christmas bits I had made, salt dough decorations we had made and painted and hama bead decorations. One year I even spent ages threading pink popcorn on long threads of cotton.

A few years ago I decided to go for a more modern look and bought a new tree (still green) with lights attached to it. I put on everything in red or gold and it looked lovely.

Last year, I had a change and did it all in blue, silver and white and everyone seemed to admire it, so I am doing it like that again this year. I have always added in the right colours the little soft Christmas toys that you buy for charity and find in boxes in shops and chemists etc. I buy one or two every year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just bought a real tree and decorated it today. We use the same decorations we bought for our first christmas together, this year will be our 9th. White lights first. Chunky silver tinsel at the bottom with thinner silver tinsel towards the top. Red and silver baubles of various sizes, some really big some very small. Simple but christmassy.

I've lost 3 baubles already though as its Stanley, Wilfred and The Franks' first ever tree so it's a bit of an intrigue!
  • Options
    Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinsel first - different colours.
    Lights next.
    Bead chains - different colours.
    Ornaments (non baubles)
    Baubles - big baubles at the bottom and middle, smaller ones near the top.
    Angel/star at top.

I put the tinsel on first as a base and likethe lights to go on top of the tinsel to minimise fire risk.

I like all the different colours. Is very difficult to acquire sets of eclectic decorations these days.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of red and gold tinsel..two lots of lights..red and gold baubles and a gold star at the top.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't do Christmas but I saw an impressive tree in the shopping mall earlier. Black, with black sparkly baubles and minimal lighting. Looked good.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dress mine in S&M gear!
  • Options
    Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I dress mine in S&M gear!

The branches make good spanking implements. mmm spikey spikey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike Hawke wrote: »
    The branches make good spanking implements. mmm spikey spikey.

That's what I thought too :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's what I thought too :D

Is it now?

*throws tree in car boot, checks M4 traffic news* :D

OK I haven't got a tree yet. But I suppose an S&M themed tree would be a nice conversation piece, mini gimp at the top, ballgags hanging from the branches. Proudly lit up in my living room window for all passers by to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it now?

OK I haven't got a tree yet. But I suppose an S&M themed tree would be a nice conversation piece, mini gimp at the top, ballgags hanging from the branches.

lmao!! Yeah, my nana, auntie and uncle are coming over this xmas so I'm sure they'll really appreciate it :D Ballbags,lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lmao!! Yeah, my nana, auntie and uncle are coming over this xmas so I'm sure they'll really appreciate it :D Ballbags,lol.

Ballbags as well, now that is hardcore! lol.

Then we all play that traditional Christmas parlour game of "Guess where I've hidden the turkey leg".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ballbags as well, now that is hardcore! lol.

Then we all play that traditional Christmas parlour game of "Guess where I've hidden the turkey leg".
    :eek::eek: Where is it? lol.
    I'm vegetarian :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek::eek: Where is it? lol.

Somewhere very safe.
    I'm vegetarian :eek:

That's what my guests say when they find out where I was hiding it!

lol, and this thread was going so well, a lovely conversation about creating the perfect Christmas ambiance, then boom, kinky tree branch whippage.

But then I'm the kind of guy who has to stick his finger in the melted wax of a candle. Only my finger though, anything else doesn't really go down well at the dinner table, you know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somewhere very safe.

That's what my guests say when they find out where I was hiding it!

lol, and this thread was going so well, a lovely conversation about creating the perfect Christmas ambiance, then boom, kinky tree branch whippage.

But then I'm the kind of guy who has to stick his finger in the melted wax of a candle. Only my finger though, anything else doesn't really go down well at the dinner table, you know?

Hehe. I thought I was dirty minded,lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hehe. I thought I was dirty minded,lol.

;);):D
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    I couldnt have a tree with all the same colour deccies.

All mine mean something to me, they dont match but I can remember when and where I bought each one, from the one I took with me from home before we got married, our first set of balls after we got married, the ones we bought on holiday, to the new ones we got this week which are the first ones we bought on the Island.

They all mean something different and all have memories

Know what you mean. Mine are mostly what my kids made at school. One is a wire coathanger covered in tinsel with 5 paintings dangling from the base. Numerous multi coloured snowflakes, plasticine smurfs, papermache angel, and a few shop bought ones.

I wouldn't swap them for the most expensive matching sets :)
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a beautiful set of about 100 matching baubles and other things like bows, and lovely beads, all in purple and silver. I don't have tinsel as I find it a bit tacky. I love it all to look beautiful.

My Mums tree, however, still has things from before I was born hehe and the angel from when my 40 year old brother was a child.
  • Options
    kjh84kjh84 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it now?

OK I haven't got a tree yet. But I suppose an S&M themed tree would be a nice conversation piece, mini gimp at the top, ballgags hanging from the branches. Proudly lit up in my living room window for all passers by to see.

:cry: that's something i can't do, due to the fact my living room window faces out onto the main road (i'm in a masionette) & i reckon people on the top deck of passing buses would be in for a serious shock :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas is usually based at my sister's place as she is the one with kids (albeit now almost adult). She and her husband are both architects and very precious about their tree which is decorated with gold, bronze and clear baubles, all of which have to pass the taste test. Since discovering the joys of the interweb, over the years I have been subverting this scheme with little presents such as this:

http://www.trendytree.com/old-world-christmas/hot-dog-christmas-ornament-32050-merck-family-old-world-christmas.html

and the beefburger, lemon meringue slice, etc.

These have been allowed on the tree as they are well made. Doubt if what I've seen this year will be, though:

http://www.amazon.com/PINK-FLAMINGO-tropical-CHRISTMAS-ORNAMENTS/dp/B000TF2I1U
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite neurotic about my tree ! -- my hubby isn't allowed to touch it !

Artificial tree for me !
    lights on - mutli-coloured ones that flash
    then tinsel (red-gold-red-gold etc etc)
    important decorations ! (when me and hubby got our first tree I decided that we would buy 1 special tree decoration each year with the view that once we get old every decoration on the tree will be special !)
    normal decorations (multi-pack baubles that aren't special but still needed as not enough important ones to fill tree yet - see above !)
    then star for the top
    then the all important lametta
    Lights get turned on with a glass of champers each !
    Oh and all the decorations have to be red or gold - or it doesn't get on my tree !!!

Yes, yes I know - I am a sad sad woman !!!
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We traditionally have two trees. One in the living room and one in the dining room. Both are fake trees - but the newer type with the PVC needles that look quite realistic.

The living room is dressed in traditional red and gold with multicoloured lights and loads of baubles, trinkets, icicles, candy canes, cinamon stick bundles, crackers and red/gold tinsel.

The dining room is dressed with blue and silver baubles, silver tinsel with twinkling white LED lights.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Muslim clothing.

Really annoys the people who rant about "PC gone mad..."

:p
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real tree, snow flake lights, lots of shiny silver and black decorations (bought a few years back in John Lewis in honour of our first Christmas living together) some silver beads.

All very stylish and colour co-ordinated until the cat gets near it - she ate all my sparkly, silver buterflies last year (I know silver butterflies aren't technically festive but hey ho :D)

Mum's tree, on the other hand, has no theme or colour code, the decoarations do not match (and some of them are as old as me) she'll have multi-coloured lights, multi-coloured tinsel, lament, chocolate decorations, sugar canes - the whole shebang! It is a bomb site but alas it is tradition. :p