Options

Upgrade or replace PC?

I'm not sure how long I've had my MSI Hetis G31 desktop but it feels like the best part of ten years (:o) and I'm wondering whether I can breathe a bit of fresh air into it with an upgrade or two.

It's current specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz (socket 775)
RAM: 4GB (max 4GB)
HDD: 298GB SATA (80% free, OS and software only, everything else is on external drives).

Clearly I can't add any more RAM as I'm already at the max. Assuming I can just drop any socket 775 CPU in there I could maybe upgrade to a quad core or something if that would help. I could also maybe replace my SATA HDD with an SSD as that might give me some additional speed.

Or I could replace the whole thing with something like this. I've no idea if that's value for money or much of an improvement though.

Edit: I should add that I use this computer as a media player (local Plex server and local Plex client hooked up to TV) and a server (remote/mobile Plex and Subsonic clients). It doesn't really get used for much else.

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you go for a new PC go for something a little more modern than what you posted, the Pentium D was discontinued in 2008!

For example - http://www.ebuyer.com/643320-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-8001 which is £189.99 or £129.99 if you trade in an old PC.
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: I should add that I use this computer as a media player (local Plex server and local Plex client hooked up to TV) and a server (remote/mobile Plex and Subsonic clients). It doesn't really get used for much else.

This is the key point. The PC is being used for a specific purpose.

Is it doing that job well or not?

If it is then keep it until it dies, if not then upgrade it to a more powerfull sytem addressing the weaknesses of the current set-up.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    If you go for a new PC go for something a little more modern than what you posted, the Pentium D was discontinued in 2008!

For example - http://www.ebuyer.com/643320-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-8001 which is £189.99 or £129.99 if you trade in an old PC.
    Oh! :blush: That's exactly why I need to ask on DS lol.

Thanks for the suggestion, I could do with something that's small factor though as it will sit in a TV cabinet along with the skybox and game consoles.

Do you think upgrading some of the hardware is an option or not worth doing?
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Alan F wrote: »
    This is the key point. The PC is being used for a specific purpose.

Is it doing that job well or not?

If it is then keep it until it dies, if not then upgrade it to a more powerfull sytem addressing the weaknesses of the current set-up.

Plex (specifically, transcoding videos for local or remote viewing) can be pretty heavy on the processor. I don't tend to have any issues with actual playback but halfway through a movie the computer fan will go into overdrive which I've assumed is because the processor is being worked pretty relentlessly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh! :blush: That's exactly why I need to ask on DS lol.

Thanks for the suggestion, I could do with something that's small factor though as it will sit in a TV cabinet along with the skybox and game consoles.

Do you think upgrading some of the hardware is an option or not worth doing?

It's so old I would say its not worth it.

If you want small form factor that shouldn't be an issue and the new pentiums hardly heat up at all even under load so that will remove the noise problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you put your plex server in a different room where size and noise isn't an issue and then use something like a £9.99 NowTV box as a plex client?