Athletics 2015

Comments

• FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onions is now down for the 400 now. Right move IMO, especially with her strong finish
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's that?
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »

We moan about Gatlin but some of these eastern Europeans seem to be on yo-yos, compete, short ban, compete, longer ban, compete, life ban in their 30s when they've already had a decent career.

That's what I thought about the Russian swimmers in the European games last week. Get them doped up early, have the drug ban out of the way by their early twenties, then they have the rest of their career ahead of them. Same thing for their cyclists.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here's the squad for the European U23 Championships in Tallinn (9-12 July). Note that a few U23s are targeting individual events in the WCh and therefore aren't selected for this event.
    MEN

200m - Leon Reid (James Hillier)

800m - Jamie Webb (Adrian Webb); Theo Blundell (Craig Winrow)

1500m - Neil Gourley (Gordon Lockie); Cameron Boyek (David Lowes)

5000m - Jonathan Davies (Rob McKim)

10,000m - Marc Scott (Steve Gulley); Kieran Clements (Ricardo Santos)

110mH - David Omoregie (Benke Blomkvist); David King (James Hillier); Khai Riley-La Borde (Ray Gibbins)

High Jump - Chris Kandu (Fuzz Ahmed)

Hammer - Nick Miller (John Baumann)

WOMEN

400m - Kirsten McAslan (Trevor Painter); Seren Bundy-Davies (Stephen Ball)

800m - Katie Snowden (Alasdair Donaldson); Adelle Tracey (Craig Winrow)

1500m - Melissa Courtney (Mark Pauley); Rhianwedd Price (Houston Franks)

5000m - Calli Thackery (Joe Franklin); Bethan Knights (Shayla Houlihan)

10,000m - Rhona Auckland (Joyce Hogg); Alice Wright (David Walker); Becky Straw (Bud Baldaro)

100mH - Yasmin Miller (Lloyd Cowan)

400mH - Shona Richards (Marina Armstrong)

3000m S/C - Iona Lake (Pauline Ash); Elizabeth Bird (Peter Farrell)

Long Jump - Jazmin Sawyers (Alan Lerwill)

Shot - Sophie McKinna (Mike Winch)

Hammer - Rachel Hunter (Ian Hunter)

4x400m Relay - Kirsten McAslan; Seren Bundy-Davies; Zoey Clarke (Eddie McKenna); Victoria Ohuruogu (Chris Zah); Amy Allcock (Nick Dakin); Jessica Turner (Dakin)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onions is now down for the 400 now. Right move IMO, especially with her strong finish
    Who's that?

omg it was meant to say Onuora... bloody autocorrect! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavitar wrote: »
    The standard for Beijing is 4:06.5, although there is this new thing they're doing for the Worlds this year in the 800, 1500 & steeplechase so she might only need something in the 4:07-4:08 range. Too difficult to explain it succintly so just read this if you're interested - http://www.letsrun.com/news/2015/06/dont-have-the-2015-iaaf-world-championships-standard-dont-worry-about-it-you-can-still-go-to-worlds-particularly-if-you-are-american/

Interesting... I wasn't aware of this. Of course, British Athletics will probably be strict and just send people with standards/top 2 trials and will probably not accept these athletes invitations from the IAAF unless they have top 8 potential in Rio... silly I know.

Here is a good website showing all the qualifiers and those currently in the top 56 or 48 etc who may not have the standard but will get an IAAF invite to fill spaces:
    http://toplist.leichtathletik-mehrkampf.de/
  • GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting... I wasn't aware of this. Of course, British Athletics will probably be strict and just send people with standards/top 2 trials and will probably not accept these athletes invitations from the IAAF unless they have top 8 potential in Rio... silly I know.

Here is a good website showing all the qualifiers and those currently in the top 56 or 48 etc who may not have the standard but will get an IAAF invite to fill spaces:
    http://toplist.leichtathletik-mehrkampf.de/

Ah, cheers for that. That site seems to be suggesting the IAAF are aiming to fill the spaces for all events? Makes more sense. I did wonder why they would only do it for the 800, 1500 & Steeple. Maybe Let's Run focused on those events because that's where they're uncertain of the USA having 3 athletes meet the standard?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they'd started avoiding each other but, no, Ayana & Baby Dibaba will go to head to head in Paris on Saturday in pursuit of the 5k WR! :) - http://paris.diamondleague.com/en/news/single-news/news/ayanadibaba-main-dans-la-main-a-la-poursuite-du-record/

Startlists for all events here - http://www.watchathletics.com/article/9090/entry-lists-paris-diamond-league-meeting-areva-2015/
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    omg it was meant to say Onuora... bloody autocorrect! :D

I was wondering who Onions was as well. :D:D
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So annoying that Bolt injured and out of Lausanne & Paris Diamond League and our lovely Adam likely to miss worlds but Gatlin & Gay strutting around and bloody bullet proof it seems. :cry:

So frustrating for Adam - with nobody apart from Twatlin running crazy fast a medal was there for the taking in the 200.

Will take an interest in the Brits (Kilty excepted) but other than this I have little interest in Mens sprints right now.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    So annoying that Bolt injured and out of Lausanne & Paris Diamond League and our lovely Adam likely to miss worlds but Gatlin & Gay strutting around and bloody bullet proof it seems.:cry:

So frustrating for Adam - with nobody apart from Twatlin running crazy fast a medal was there for the taking in the 200.

Will take an interest in the Brits (Kilty excepted) but other than this I have little interest in Mens sprints right now.

Adam could have really done something exceptional this year.

What a shame his injury is.

The less said about Twatlin the better.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    So annoying that Bolt injured and out of Lausanne & Paris Diamond League and our lovely Adam likely to miss worlds but Gatlin & Gay strutting around and bloody bullet proof it seems. :cry:

Hope Bolt's feigning injury so that he can build up his form in secret.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Hope Bolt's feigning injury so that he can build up his form in secret.

I wouldn't put any money on that...sadly I think years of taking it easy and not putting the hard work in have caught up with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the British Athletics selection policy document, it says all field events and track events of 200m and longer will be accepted if they have the qualification standard for this event indoors.

That puts people like Jenny Meadows, Lee Emmanuel etc in good standing then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone wanting to build up to Beijing & relive World Championships past, there's a 52 min IAAF World of Champions film for each of them, up to Daegu in 2011. Find them at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuDpMu_Pc0-5AWOAE2dLoENMbbvyfX8Bh

And while we're at it, there's official Olympic films at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-292yfpAFGZL-9pqXzDUDxzPdy7o0sdw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, there's a jam packed fortnight of televised/broadcast athletics coming up ...

4 Jul - Paris Diamond League
    5 Jul - British Champs & Trials (final day)
    8-12 Jul - 2015 Universiade athletics (World University Games; No British team here) (EuroSport)
    9 Jul - Lausanne Diamond League
    9-12 Jul - European U23 Championships (Eurovision)
    11 Jul - Madrid IAAF World Challenge meet (Eversport)
    14 Jul - Lucerne EAA classic meeting (EuroSport)
    15-19 Jul - World Youth Championships (not on EuroSport but no doubt available somewhere on the internet ;) )
    16-19 Jul - European Junior Champs (Eurovision)
    17 Jul - Monaco Diamond League

Phew!
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    But on a brighter note keeping an eye on twitter and it seems that Ashleigh Nelson and Jodie Williams are on course to compete this weekend in the British Championships.

Oh, dear I've jinxed them, both are out of the Championships, also seems Nelson is doubtful for the WC's.

And Jack Green has failed to recover from his fall in Geneva and won't be competing the weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entry lists for the Euro U23 Champs are out - http://tallinn2015.org/assets/EU23CH%20-%20Final%20Entries%20List.pdf

Is Britain alone in not allowing athletes to compete in both an age group champs and Beijing? It seems we may be.

There'll certainly be quite a few athletes there who I also expect to see in Beijing with chances of making finals, e.g., Belocian (M 110H), Mark English (M 800), Ennaoui (W 1500), Kuchina & Trost (W HJ), Lamote (W 800), Bengtsson (W PV).

Is the British selection policy with regards to young athletes this summer just messed up, or is there a logical rationale to it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the British selection policy with regards to young athletes this summer just messed up, or is there a logical rationale to it?

I don't know what the rationale is. Certainly the Americans, Africans, West Indians, east Europeans etc all compete a lot more than ours athletes do. No one else in the world has such precious, pampered athletes as ours, and yet somehow they usually manage to beat us. I think it's probably down to the fact that UK Athletics employ lots of people to make rules, so the rules must be as complicated as possible because otherwise we wouldn't need so many people to make them.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For anyone wanting to build up to Beijing & relive World Championships past, there's a 52 min IAAF World of Champions film for each of them, up to Daegu in 2011. Find them at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuDpMu_Pc0-5AWOAE2dLoENMbbvyfX8Bh

And while we're at it, there's official Olympic films at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-292yfpAFGZL-9pqXzDUDxzPdy7o0sdw

Thanks for these links. :) Definitely going to watch them before Beijing.
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angelo Taylor and Felix Sanchez won their second Olympic gold medals eight years after the first. Gatlin could feasibly 'achieve' the same twelve years apart.

I think the message is clear......Go Gatlin!
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nevada wrote: »
    Angelo Taylor and Felix Sanchez won their second Olympic gold medals eight years after the first. Gatlin could feasibly 'achieve' the same twelve years apart.

I think the message is clear......Go Gatlin!

Yes go Gatlin - go out of the sport you have disgraced twice forever.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entry lists for the Euro U23 Champs are out - http://tallinn2015.org/assets/EU23CH%20-%20Final%20Entries%20List.pdf

Is Britain alone in not allowing athletes to compete in both an age group champs and Beijing? It seems we may be.

There'll certainly be quite a few athletes there who I also expect to see in Beijing with chances of making finals, e.g., Belocian (M 110H), Mark English (M 800), Ennaoui (W 1500), Kuchina & Trost (W HJ), Lamote (W 800), Bengtsson (W PV).

Thing is it's a new thing. If you look at the U23s from 2013 you had the likes of Adam Gemili, KJT & Jodie Williams competing & winning gold and then also competing at worlds where Adam & KJT finished 5th and were not far off bronze.

I've always been a great believer if you're good enough you're old enough and when it comes to Juniors you're only ever talking about the odd competitor here & there. Other than Morgan lake the only other juniors good enough to challenge for a spot in Beijing are Laviai Nielson (and more likely in the relay rather than individual) and Shannon Hylton and in her case that's more down to the fact that senior women sprinters are dropping like flies at the moment. Championships experience is invaluable - anyone think competing at London 2012 after World Juniors did Gemili or KJT any harm? No, the opposite I'd say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, seems daft not to allow them as much as experience as possible in a championship setting where the pressures and experience are very different to a one-off competition. And they'd hardly be over-competing with 6 weeks more to go until Beijing. Not to mention the (presumed) confidence that can be drawn from winning a title and handling the expectation.

I can only think it comes down to money. Someone at British Athletics wants to keep a tight grip on the purse strings, though it shames us a bit that less wealthy nations like Poland can send 15 more athletes than we're sending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good news at last, guys! Chris Tomlinson is rested, fit and ready to rumble at Birmingham trials! After his triumphant appearance in the North Yorkshire and South Durham meet at Middlesbrough on Tuesday, he's ready to roll out the big 7.80 jumps this weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33371533