Options

New York this weekend.........

alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi - I am taking my godkids to NYC on Friday and it looks like the weather is going to be just terrible - we are lucky we have a pool at the hotel - anyone got any ideas on what else we can do inside somewhere? Obviously cinema and theatre - not keen on art galleries or museums though.
Will be doing shopping but there does not appear to be many indoor malls in NYC.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi - I am taking my godkids to NYC on Friday and it looks like the weather is going to be just terrible - we are lucky we have a pool at the hotel - anyone got any ideas on what else we can do inside somewhere? Obviously cinema and theatre - not keen on art galleries or museums though.
    Will be doing shopping but there does not appear to be many indoor malls in NYC.
    Thanks.

Forget the weather and just do all the great touristy stuff - empire state building, statue of liberty, central park. Ride the underground if it's raining - and take a rain coat. Go and see a show on broadway. Go to Times Square and St Patrick's cathedral. Have fun x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

Unfortunately there are no large indoor malls... Just take an umbrella and enjoy :)
  • Options
    ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the aircraft carrier on Pier 86, 12th Ave. & 46th - don't know how old your Godkids are, but it is a fab experience - and if wet, being in the submarine isn't a problem (what with it being under water and all).

There are malls - though mostly not huge, there is Macy's there is FAO Schwarz Toy Shop (you may have to queue just to get in - it was the one in BIG).

As others have said, sod the weather - see the sights, get wet, buy an umbrella... if you want (and will pay) I will come with you just to carry it, LOL !!
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no point going to NYC purely for the malls and cinema, what a waste!! As others have said, grab and umbrella and do the touristy stuff otherwise you'll regret it! We went to Paris recently and the weather was far from great, in fact it chucked it down when we were queuing for the catacoombs in particular, didn't stop us enjoying it though.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect it will be much too windy for an umbrella to be of any use!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget the weather and just do all the great touristy stuff - empire state building, statue of liberty, central park. Ride the underground if it's raining - and take a rain coat. Go and see a show on broadway. Go to Times Square and St Patrick's cathedral. Have fun x

The queues (or "lines" in American) at the Empire State Building can be horrendous. You can easily waste the best part of a day there. The Top of the Rock (http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/) isn't as busy and the view is much better, especially of Central Park.

The subway is certainly "interesting". Confusing as hell (makes the London Tube seem simple) and you'll encounter all kinds of weirdos down there.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member

Exactly this :)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no point going to NYC purely for the malls and cinema, what a waste!! As others have said, grab and umbrella and do the touristy stuff otherwise you'll regret it! We went to Paris recently and the weather was far from great, in fact it chucked it down when we were queuing for the catacoombs in particular, didn't stop us enjoying it though.

Agreed!

We went to Rome in November - it was wet and freezing!

We still spent 8 hours a day seeing the sights though. There is no way I'd go to Rome and stick to indoor activities :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CNBC have just had their weatherman talk about this - looks as if the effects of the storm will be at their height in NY from midday on Sunday until Monday morning.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    CNBC have just had their weatherman talk about this - looks as if the effects of the storm will be at their height in NY from midday on Sunday until Monday morning.

In which case just find the nearest bar and stop there.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't let a little distraction like rain put you off exploring one of the greatest cities in the world.

Get a brolly, or get wet, but enjoy yourself. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clunk wrote: »
    Go to the aircraft carrier on Pier 86, 12th Ave. & 46th - don't know how old your Godkids are, but it is a fab experience - and if wet, being in the submarine isn't a problem (what with it being under water and all).

There are malls - though mostly not huge, there is Macy's there is FAO Schwarz Toy Shop (you may have to queue just to get in - it was the one in BIG).

As others have said, sod the weather - see the sights, get wet, buy an umbrella... if you want (and will pay) I will come with you just to carry it, LOL !!

I'll carry the bags. :D

OP: I would visit as many places as I could. As for shopping malls, you may as well stay at home and shop on-line. Enjoy NYC!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not going to NYC for the malls or the cinema - but its going to be tricky with a hurricane rushing down 5th Avenue!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly - a rain shower is one thing - torrential rain and wind is another!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going to NYC for the malls or the cinema - but its going to be tricky with a hurricane rushing down 5th Avenue!

I don't check the forecast for NYC, but if it's going to be as bad as your saying, then you'll be pretty much confined to your hotel, so not an awful lot you can do!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're taking this very seriously - the man on CNBC has just said that this has the potential to be the most severe hurricane to hit New York since 1821.

I think I would quite like to go for the experience, but it might be worth contacting whoever you're going with as they might be prepared to offer you an alternative date - though I know you don't have much time to sort this out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're taking this very seriously - the man on CNBC has just said that this has the potential to be the most severe hurricane to hit New York since 1821.

I think I would quite like to go for the experience, but it might be worth contacting whoever you're going with as they might be prepared to offer you an alternative date - though I know you don't have much time to sort this out!

Doesn't sound very safe at all in that case. However if she's thinking of cancelling and claiming on insurance, it's worth remembering that acts of god are excluded under most travel policies. they could perhaps offer an alternative date of travel for a small fee, the travel company that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound very safe at all in that case. However if she's thinking of cancelling and claiming on insurance, it's worth remembering that acts of god are excluded under most travel policies. they could perhaps offer an alternative date of travel for a small fee.

I know, and the trouble is that it might not take exactly the course predicted, but they are talking about possible disruptions at airports because they could be badly affected by floods. Not sure when the OP is coming back but that might be a factor the organiser would take account of.

However I think I'd go anyway as I like a rainy day. :D
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    We are meant to be leaving Heathrow at 11am on Saturday to fly into New York :S
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    We are meant to be leaving Heathrow at 11am on Saturday to fly into New York :S

You might be seeing the early signs but I think it will still be further down the coast at that time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leaving tomorrow at 2pm -Oh Lordy really hope its not too bad - like someone above said it will be an interesting experience - and if it was just me I would not be worried - but godkids are 16 and 13 and I certainly don't want them stressed.
    When I originally posted I thought it might be bad but it seems to be getting more serious by the moment.
    Oh well - like I said before got a lovely hotel with a roof top pool - under glass I hasten to add - so will hole up there if its really bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like the hurricane won't hit until Sunday afternoon, but I guess that's dependent on how big the storm is, you could be in real trouble though! Especially for getting a flight home, it's meant to be Cat. 2 as it makes groundfall, and it's pretty high up it's making ground fall too, so shouldn't weaken too much!

I'm quite jealous of you, I'd love to be there for a hurricane, there should be plenty of malls about, it's not what you're traveling transatlantic for, but it might be the best you can make of it, that's even if the malls are open!

Give it a watch here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl#contents
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is there won't be anything left in the shops as - according to the financial channels - everyone's panic buying. The shelves will be empty!

(Mind you I don't suppose many tourists buy milk, batteries and generators! :D )
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to NYC in the middle of winter once. Snow everywhere and the cold went straight through you, regardless of the fact I had about 4 layers on. Didn't stop me doing all the touristy things, though. Nor should a bit of rain stop you. You'd regret missing it all just because of a bit of rain.

I'd go to Little Italy, too, just for the pizza!
  • Options
    allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive experienced a few hurricanes in the States - although not in NYC. They do tend to shut down the entire area - so shops, restaurants etc will likely all be closed and your hotel will be giving out hurricane safety tips - usually they advise staying in your room with blinds down (in case something smashes the glass).

I have been in NYC during a couple of epic storms though - and wind just whistles down the streets between the sky scrapers - I can only imagine what it will be like in really high hurricane force winds. Stay safe.