Options

Is it the end for the comma?

Comments

• Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    The semi-colon IS useful. Just because we don't use it everyday, doesn't mean we should get rid of it.

I typically use it if I'm reeling a list of things off; ...., ...., ..... For example.

I didn't say we should get rid of it, and besides, that's probably the wrong way of looking at it. How would we "get rid of" a punctuation mark? It will either continue to be used or it won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Well, I think the first post, Mr Slartibartfast, did indeed need a few commas!
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I think your post could do with a few commas, to make it easier to read and assimilate. Correct punctuation, including the use of commas, helps to make text flow more naturally, like speech.
    Go on, I'll bite: where were the commas needed?
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Commas are essential in the written word, however I do see a case for getting rid of semi-colons.
    Does anyone actually use these in everyday life?
    Yes, I always use them where appropriate...

I'm afraid all too often on here I find myself faced with a wall of text containing no punctuation whatsoever. At that point I just stop reading the post.

Lack of capitalisation is another major annoyance, although I can quite understand some people referring to themselves with a lower case 'I'. :D
  • Options
    TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    No, in a word, it is not.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    "A Panda eats shoots and leaves."

"A Panda eats, shoots and leaves."

The importance of punctuation, an entire sentence can be read completely different without it.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Link

Just been reading this interesting article which suggests that dropping the comma would make so little impact on the clarity of a text as to render it redundant. It also gives some interesting insight into the way punctuation in general is being repurposed and reimagined by the yoof.

On the one hand I find the evolution of language interesting and exciting and think that it should grow to reflect its usage and purpose (like it has regarding txt spk). On the other hand I lament changes that eradicate a part of our system of communication.

What do you think about the comma?

Just been reading this interesting article, which suggests that dropping the comma would make so little impact on the clarity of a text, as to render it redundant. It also gives some interesting insight into the way punctuation, in general, is being repurposed and reimagined by the yoof.

On the one hand, I find the evolution of language interesting and exciting and think that it should grow to reflect its usage and purpose (like it has regarding txt spk). On the other hand, I lament changes that eradicate a part of our system of communication.

There its a matter of opinion I think, but...

I may add a few more but, it is opinion, I am just placing where I would see them, I am on the laptop now :D
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say we should get rid of it, and besides, that's probably the wrong way of looking at it. How would we "get rid of" a punctuation mark? It will either continue to be used or it won't.

I know, I was agreeing with you. :)

I will not let these young whippersnappers erode punctuation because they are LAZY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just been reading this interesting article, which suggests that dropping the comma would make so little impact on the clarity of a text, as to render it redundant. It also gives some interesting insight into the way punctuation, in general, is being repurposed and reimagined by the yoof.

On the one hand, I find the evolution of language interesting and exciting and think that it should grow to reflect its usage and purpose (like it has regarding txt spk). On the other hand, I lament changes that eradicate a part of our system of communication.

There its a matter of opinion I think, but...

I may add a few more but, it is opinion, I am just placing where I would see them, I am on the laptop now :D
    The vast majority of the commas you've inserted are incorrect as far as my understanding of their usage goes. For example, "interesting article which suggests" is correct and has no need of a comma. The only two which have any merit are "the way punctuation, in general, is being repurposed" but the way I intended it to read was "punctuation in general" not "punctuation, in general".
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast majority of the commas you've inserted are incorrect as far as my understanding of their usage goes. For example, "interesting article which suggests" is correct and has no need of a comma. The only two which have any merit are "the way punctuation, in general, is being repurposed" but the way I intended it to read was "punctuation in general" not "punctuation, in general".
    I would've perhaps rephrased it "punctuation is being generally repurposed" to try and avoid confusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The importance of punctuation, an entire sentence can be read completely different without it.

The problem with that is it's a contrived sentence like the one presented earlier in the thread. Having to contrive it and present it without context undermines the point being made. Another favourite is "Let's eat Granny."
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, Slarti, that is a fair point, if that is indeed the way you meant for the comments to come across. To be fair I am probably pretty out of date in the usage,it has been a long time, meh I think I will need to pay for a course.

I wasn't picking out of disrespect, just on what I have been taught etc.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I would've perhaps rephrased it "punctuation is being generally repurposed" to try and avoid confusion.

What confusion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, Slarti, that is a fair point, if that is indeed the way you meant for the comments to come across. To be fair I am probably pretty out of date in the usage,it has been a long time, meh I think I will need to pay for a course.

I wasn't picking out of disrespect, just on what I have been taught etc.

:)
    Oh I know you weren't being disrespectful or anything! :) Your revision of my post, however, reads very wrong to me because of the comma placement (but then I suppose mine must have read wrong to you).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    What confusion?

None :)

Punctuation is generally being used for a different purpose, it works either way..

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I know you weren't being disrespectful or anything! :) Your revision of my post, however, reads very wrong to me because of the comma placement (but then I suppose mine must have read wrong to you).

I am a bit old fashioned, I shall take my telling off :D I think I do have a bit of the old superfluous comma rub going on to be honest, I had a very old fashioned boss at the uni.. :o

I think I will work on it :D
  • Options
    TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member

You know America's got a problem when even the zoo animals have access to firearms :p
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Link

Just been reading this interesting article which suggests that dropping the comma would make so little impact on the clarity of a text as to render it redundant. It also gives some interesting insight into the way punctuation in general is being repurposed and reimagined by the yoof.

On the one hand I find the evolution of language interesting and exciting and think that it should grow to reflect its usage and purpose (like it has regarding txt spk). On the other hand I lament changes that eradicate a part of our system of communication.

Needed one after hand IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Needed one after hand IMO.

To denote what, exactly?
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    Trying to read almost any sentence not properly formulated with commas is difficult, and can often be misread. The examples are humorous and obvious, but less clear options are still valid.

The comma is dying because we are becoming illiterate as a nation. Our reliance on txt spk for lazy people is massively increasing peoples inability to correctly form written sentences.

I would say there are far more people on my Facebook feed that cannot correctly spell and form sentences, than there are that actually can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trying to read almost any sentence not properly formulated with commas is difficult, and can often be misread. The examples are humorous and obvious, but less clear options are still valid.

The comma is dying because we are becoming illiterate as a nation. Our reliance on txt spk for lazy people is massively increasing peoples inability to correctly form written sentences.

I would say there are far more people on my Facebook feed that cannot correctly spell and form sentences, than there are that actually can.
    Shouldn't that be "is difficult and can often be misread"? There should be no pause--and thus no comma--between "difficult" and "and". The same goes for the comma between "sentences" and "than" in your last sentence (in which, ironically, you berate the inability to correctly form a sentence).
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to read almost any sentence not properly formulated with commas is difficult, and can often be misread.

I do believe you didn't need that oxford comma there... ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I do believe you didn't need that oxford comma there... ;-)

FYI, that wasn't an Oxford comma. ;)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To denote what, exactly?

A pause
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's already embarrassing to see just how much better the Scandinavians, Dutch etc. are than the British at speaking and writing in English. Are we really wanting to hasten that process?

Keep the comma. Stop the rot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    A pause

There was no pause though, nor any need for one.