Options

Sliders

Anyone remember this multiverse sci-fi show from the 90s?

The early seasons were fantastic but it seemed to tail off towards the end as they dragged it out and experienced cast changes.

For me it incorporated a lot of qualities that I enjoyed in other shows, like the Twilight Zone/Outer Limits "what if" scenarios, along with Star Trek type "monster/phenomenon of the week" stories, and Quantum Leap "single episode crisis" stories in a totally different setting every week.

About 10 years ago I watched the box set but didn't make it all the way through as the later years were as poor as I remembered them. The early years really were great though. :)

Comments

• Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an ok show, but it squandered it's potential a lot of the time due to it's cheesiness. The idea of different multiverses was mostly portrayed here as slightly quirky different realities, most of which were too implausible to exist.

The first Kromagg episode was a glimpse of how much better this show could have been, had it tried to expand it's horizons.

Seasons 1-2 were certainly the best, whilst Season 3 was awful. Season 4 had it's moments and I thought Season 5 wasn't too bad, despite the further cast changes.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the first two series
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're spot on with your assessment... for anyone interested they are available on Netflix US
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the first 3 seasons on DVD but I refuse to believe season 4 and 5 exists lol.

Loved watching this show when I was younger, the first 2 seasons were brilliant. Season 3 was ok but it started going downhill from there and it wasn't the same once the casts started to leave, oh and the whole Kromaggs also helped ruin it.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I've got the first 3 seasons on DVD but I refuse to believe season 4 and 5 exists lol.

Loved watching this show when I was younger, the first 2 seasons were brilliant. Season 3 was ok but it started going downhill from there and it wasn't the same once the casts started to leave, oh and the whole Kromaggs also helped ruin it.

Completely Agree - wish a remake was on the cards
    would work perfectly in today's schedules.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I'd love a remake but would it appeal to today's audience?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love a remake but would it appeal to today's audience?

Not sure about a remake but we could definitely do with a new scifi series that deals with alternative realities.

That was the best thing about Sliders but as another poster says they were sometimes done too cheesy. Like the one where the UK had beaten the US and it was too much like Robin Hood with the wicked Sheriff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best episodes for me was the world where women ruled rather than men, as I think it truly showed what it would be like.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about a remake but we could definitely do with a new scifi series that deals with alternative realities.

I wonder if someone will dust off the scripts for George RR Martins "Doorways".

That was Sliders before Sliders was made. They only ever filmed a Pilot for it though.

Could we actually see a version of Doorways on HBO as GRRM does have a development deal with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I wonder if someone will dust off the scripts for George RR Martins "Doorways".

That was Sliders before Sliders was made. They only ever filmed a Pilot for it though.

Could we actually see a version of Doorways on HBO as GRRM does have a development deal with them.
    Sounds interesting, hopefully they may take it up.

I hope Scyfy don't do anything though as they've treated their series poorly lately.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh man. This and Heart-Break High we're my fave programmes when I was a kid.

I always thought the fat prof guy was Pavarotti though.. Haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh man. This and Heart-Break High we're my fave programmes when I was a kid.

I always thought the fat prof guy was Pavarotti though.. Haha

Ah, Heart Break High. I remember being on holiday in Australia when that was first launching and seeing endless promotions for it on hotel televisions. I felt like I was a fan before it started and watched it for a while when it came on over here.

And John Rhys-Davies could well play Pavarotti in a biopic. :D I think the prof may have been my favourite character.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got them recently, and anybody who does should find the REAL epiosde list. The one on the DVD set is totally out of wack and continuity.
    It means changing the discs a bit it's better that episodes that don't make any sense order wise.

I enjoyed it except for the last season. I won't give nothing away though in case people here haven't seen it.
    Very Cheesy but very good. The acting is terrible in places and the special effects aint great but I never let that ruin my enjoyment of it. So many backstage problems throughout its run kind of messed things up.

Great show though.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth watching the first two seasons then forgetting about the rest, or at least until partway through season 3 where the first cast changes started. I thought it was great show with so much potential for a long run, but it never happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I got them recently, and anybody who does should find the REAL epiosde list. The one on the DVD set is totally out of wack and continuity.
    It means changing the discs a bit it's better that episodes that don't make any sense order wise.
    Great show though.

Yes I had to get the real list to watch the first 2 seasons in the proper order.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think BBC2 only showed the first 3 seasons

I saw Season 5 on Bravo (possibly Syfy) a few years ago
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could basically work like Doctor Who, visiting new places each week. To keep it grounded, so there's always the "my god this is so different from OUR Earth!", the wormhole device is encoded to occasionally sweep back home, or when the amount of sliders becomes less than when it started it goes back to the starting place (Earth Prime) to pick up new sliders, since for some reason it might need matter/energy balance on those going through it.

There's a specific site that goes into all the problems incurred when making Sliders, and after reading it you'll understand why things ended up the way they did. Then you'll feel like murdering the bastards responsible for slowly murdering the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member

When I did the box set years ago I thought there was something a little iffy about it but couldn't put my finger on it. I've just googled it and apparently FOX originally aired them out of order and the DVD just reflects that. Very strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's a specific site that goes into all the problems incurred when making Sliders, and after reading it you'll understand why things ended up the way they did. Then you'll feel like murdering the bastards responsible for slowly murdering the series.
    I have read the real reason why it turned out how it did and it is a shame.

Cleavant Derricks stuck with the show for the fans, but it really wasn't the same and the story arc changed for the worse and again I do know why it happened sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could basically work like Doctor Who, visiting new places each week. To keep it grounded, so there's always the "my god this is so different from OUR Earth!", the wormhole device is encoded to occasionally sweep back home, or when the amount of sliders becomes less than when it started it goes back to the starting place (Earth Prime) to pick up new sliders, since for some reason it might need matter/energy balance on those going through it.

Do you have a link to that site?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make me sad hearing all the problems making the series. Alot of ego-maniacs didn't have a clue what they were doing.
    The first 2 season are fantastic. Then it gets odd and doesn't feel the same show.

I really enjoyed it but as soon as season 5 raced through it quickly. People who have seen it will understand. Explanations of certain events at the start of season 5 made me angry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember this multiverse sci-fi show from the 90s?

The early seasons were fantastic but it seemed to tail off towards the end as they dragged it out and experienced cast changes.

For me it incorporated a lot of qualities that I enjoyed in other shows, like the Twilight Zone/Outer Limits "what if" scenarios, along with Star Trek type "monster/phenomenon of the week" stories, and Quantum Leap "single episode crisis" stories in a totally different setting every week.

About 10 years ago I watched the box set but didn't make it all the way through as the later years were as poor as I remembered them. The early years really were great though. :)
    I should have really mentioned in this OP, when making the comparison to QL, that Sliders shared the "finding their way home" trope. You could say they were hoping each time that their next slide... would be the slide home! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the topic of Sliders, I have another question.

I can't remember the title of the episode but it's the one with Arturo evil double. Which one do you think that slid, the real one or the evil one?

It always plays on my mind when I think of Sliders lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't remember the title of the episode but it's the one with Arturo evil double. Which one do you think that slid, the real one or the evil one?

I always thought they would explore this or make more of it. A missed opportunity I reckon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I always thought they would explore this or make more of it. A missed opportunity I reckon.

Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome
    In the second season episode Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome, the vortex had opened on Quinn's front lawn as the Arturos had a showdown. Quinn wanted to "take them both (and) sort it out after we slide," but one of the Arturos said "Like hell we will," and attacked his counterpart. After a brief scuffle, one of the Arturos slugged the other one and jumped into the vortex alongside Quinn. Once the vortex closed, the remaining Arturo said "Oh my god" with a worried look on his face.

When it was left as a possibility that a double of Arturo's had slid instead of the Earth Prime Arturo, controversy has been generated among fans about which Arturo actually slid. In an interview done in 2009, the show's creator, Tracy Tormé, stated that he intended that the Arturo who slid should not be the original Arturo. But due to Tormé losing control of the show and John Rhys-Davies leaving the following year, this issue was never resolved.