Options

"You can't tax your way out of a deficit"

Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
Forum Member
But you can reduce the income of 10 million families.

Doesn't it amount to the same practice, except those who can least afford it are the ones targeted?

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can of course tax your way out of a deficit if you increase taxes by the amount of the deficit, there are of course significant issues with doing that. The OP's attempt to tax rises are the same as cuts to benefit spending is neither new nor correct.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tax increases for the highest earners would be a great benefit. The impact on their reduced spending would be hardly felt.

Tax cuts for most people of moderate means would be very useful as well.

And cutting benefits is a very significant impact on the economy, negatively.

So what have the Conservatives done? The complete opposite of that which needed to be done to help the economy pick-up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    You can of course tax your way out of a deficit if you increase taxes by the amount of the deficit, there are of course significant issues with doing that. The OP's attempt to tax rises are the same as cuts to benefit spending is neither new nor correct.

Whether you reduce a person's tax credits by £300 or take £300 in tax the net result is the same and the same issues apply.

By suggesting you can't tax your way out of a deficit the tories are simply avoiding affecting the more wealthy sections of society.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    So what have the Conservatives done? The complete opposite of that which needed to be done to help the economy pick-up!

Its the fastest growing economy in Europe, how fast are you expecting it to grow? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether you reduce a person's tax credits by £300 or take £300 in tax the net result is the same and the same issues apply.

Except the tax is revenue, the tax credit is spending.
    By suggesting you can't tax your way out of a deficit the tories are simply avoiding affecting the more wealthy sections of society.

And your suggestion you can tax your way out of a £100b deficit by taxing the more wealthy sections of society is pie in the sky. Tax increases of that magnitude would require taxes to be raised on all of society.

The options at the next GE appear to be; Labour will increase taxes and cut spending a bit and reduce the deficit a bit, the Tories will increase taxes less, cut spending more and reduce the deficit by more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's funny, because the argument to support the idea also applies to public spending. You cannot cut your way out of a deficit.

The time for cuts is during a boom, the time for tax increases for the wealthy few is during a recession.

These Conservatives are just pursuing an ideology regardless of how nonsensical it is.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,595
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Its the fastest growing economy in Europe, how fast are you expecting it to grow? :confused:

Food banks on the increase, zero hours contracts, gap between richest and poorest higher than at almost any time since the days of Dickens, major companies and individuals avoiding and evading tax at epic levels, wages for millions frozen or reduced
    Yeah let's hear it for this wonderful growing economy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's funny, because the argument to support the idea also applies to public spending. You cannot cut your way out of a deficit.

The time for cuts is during a boom, the time for tax increases for the wealthy few is during a recession.

These Conservatives are just pursuing an ideology regardless of how nonsensical it is.

Ideologies exist on both sides so by all means take your pick but don't pretend they don't.

Btw the last recession was under the last government.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tax increases for the highest earners would be a great benefit. The impact on their reduced spending would be hardly felt.

Tax cuts for most people of moderate means would be very useful as well.

And cutting benefits is a very significant impact on the economy, negatively.

Your understanding of economics is really upside down. The people who pump money into the economy are those with high disposable incomes and who spend that money in shops, restaurants and on leisure activities. That spending creates a lot of jobs. Governments don't create jobs. Businesses do.

People on benefits don't have much disposable income so denying them of a few pounds extra a week is very harsh but has bugger all impact on the economy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Except the tax is revenue, the tax credit is spending.
    Right, but your not actually explaining why that makes a difference. Giving someone £300 in tax credits and then taxing them £300 isn't any different.
    And your suggestion you can tax your way out of a £100b deficit by taxing the more wealthy sections of society is pie in the sky. Tax increases of that magnitude would require taxes to be raised on all of society.
    My suggestion? Where did I suggest that? Raising taxes on everybody is perfectly acceptable. Why shouldn't everybody share the burden proportionately?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more inefficient government becomes (and it doesn't matter who is in government), the more libertarian I seem to become.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, but your not actually explaining why that makes a difference. Giving someone £300 in tax credits and then taxing them £300 isn't any different.

The net result of that is someone pays £0 in tax. It is a ridiculous situtaion because it costs money to adminster, just don't take the tax off them in the first place.

Btw the difference is clear, taxes are a revenue, benefits are a spending.

My suggestion? Where did I suggest that? Raising taxes on everybody is perfectly acceptable. Why shouldn't everybody share the burden proportionately?

Well if you think the Tories are opposed to increasing taxes on everybody just because it would also impact the better off you, which you implied in an earlier post, you are deluded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The net result of that is someone pays £0 in tax. It is a ridiculous situtaion because it costs money to adminster, just don't take the tax off them in the first place.

Btw the difference is clear, taxes are a revenue, benefits are a spending.

Well if you think the Tories are opposed to increasing taxes on everybody just because it would also impact the better off you, which you implied in an earlier post, you are deluded.

Are you one of these posters who just post a variation of "I'm right, you're wrong" with no depth or explanation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you one of these posters who just post a variation of "I'm right, you're wrong" with no depth or explanation?

Are you one of these posters who when they don't like the reply posts stuff like the above?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

so now is the correct time for tax cuts - the economy is growing at over 3%, it aint gonna get any better than this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you one of these posters who when they don't like the reply posts stuff like the above?

Your replies aren't very conducive to discussion are they? You're just repeating things like "one is spending, the other is revenue" without actually putting forward an argument as to why that matters. You seem to think your own opinion is a self evident truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your replies aren't very conducive to discussion are they? You're just repeating things like "one is spending, the other is revenue" without actually putting forward an argument as to why that matters. You seem to think your own opinion is a self evident truth.

If you don't like my replies that's fine and your last sentence reminds me of pot calling the kettle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you don't like my replies that's fine and your last sentence reminds me of pot calling the kettle.

I've provided an explanation for my position, which is kind of the opposite of thinking it's self evident ;)

Conversely, you've just said things like "the difference is clear, one is spending the other is revenue." If it's so clear you should be able to explain it and justify your position.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I've provided an explanation for my position, which is kind of the opposite of thinking it's self evident ;)

Conversely, you've just said things like "the difference is clear, one is spending the other is revenue." If it's so clear you should be able to explain it and justify your position.

High taxes can make revenue go down instead of up, money can leave the country, take a look at France.
    Cutting spending will always save the country money.
    The realities of economics can be harsh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    High taxes can make revenue go down instead of up, money can leave the country, take a look at France.
    Cutting spending will always save the country money.
    The realities of economics can be harsh.

That's true for cuts to services, but cuts to benefits reduce the disposable income of those affected just as increased taxes would.

Reducing benefits instead of increasing taxes means some people will have their income reduced a lot rather than everyone having their income reduced a little. It also means those least able to manage that reduction have to do so, while those best able to manage it don't have to.

As far as the economy goes, poorer people tend not to save as much as the wealthy. In other words they spend all their income, so reducing it is pretty much guaranteed to reduce spending.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can reduce the income of 10 million families.

Doesn't it amount to the same practice, except those who can least afford it are the ones targeted?

I thought we were freezing tax credits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is will millions of working people consider that their income is being reduced deliberately by the Conservatives.

The answer of course is yes.

If this is actually intended to get votes I would suggest those in charge are insane.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »

So say the ONS. They also say fall in living standards is greater than previously thought.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is will millions of working people consider that their income is being reduced deliberately by the Conservatives.

The answer of course is yes.

If this is actually intended to get votes I would suggest those in charge are insane.

I think most working people will only swallow this so far & David Cameron has got to have a positive message tomorrow. The one thing the Tories can claim credibility is on the economy however they are split over europe, something Labour has to play on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    So say the ONS. They also say fall in living standards is greater than previously thought.

whose stats would you rather use?