Options

County Cricket 2015

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Decent day for Lancs.........317 for 5 at the close against Kent

Still haven't quite got past that problem with the first 3 batsmen as we were 38-2

Last week's win against Derby was largely due to middle and lower order runs and last year's relegation was mainly due to early batting collapses. The lower order can't rescue you every time !

we really need a couple of steady openers........:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    That was one hell of a debut in first class cricket for Oliver Robinson. Batting number nine ,he gets a ton and then grabs two wickets late on. I see he played a few OD games for Yorkshire , but then got sacked for indiscipline last year. Interesting to see how he performs from now on as he is unlikely to ever top such a performance.

Another reminder to the selectors from Alex Hales , though he is not opening the batting for Notts. 450 runs in three games ain't too bad. With so many tests to come over the next 12 months he may get a chance.

That guy Harris from Middlesex once again had a magic spell as he did against Notts a few days ago. I saw him when he was 17 and he looked pretty impressive then , but his career has gone backwards, let's hope he can continue his good form, he's only 24 and could come into the England reckoning at some stage .
  • Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So at the end of day two at Taunton - Middlesex are 306/7 (Voges 98 and Gubbins 92) and still trail (Somerset) by 102 runs.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another big score for Martin Guptil with 227 for Derby at Bristol

Wonder if he'll make the New Zealand Test side this summer

Has to be an advantage for him warming up around our County grounds
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gale misses out on what would have been a well earned 100 but Yorkshire avoid the follow on.
  • Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So at the end of day three at Taunton - Middlesex are 31/0 in their second innings.

Somerset were all out for 310 (Hildreth 86 and Trescothick 76) in their second innings for a lead of 401 runs.

Earlier in the day Middlesex were all out for 317 in their first innings.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lancs racing against the clock to secure victory over Kent

60/1 needing another 44
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    Lancs racing against the clock to secure victory over Kent

60/1 needing another 44

They've just looked at the light, however here in Salford, we've had a brief hail shower a few moments ago. Lancs traditional enemy the weather may beat us rather than Kent.>:(

The weather and Kent beaten... good win for Lancs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    phew........Lancs win with a couple of overs to spare and the light meters out....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Lancs

A positive start to the season that can only bring confidence (..and success)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warwickshire had the better of the drawn game with Yorkshire, and a personal triumph for long serving (since age 9) Ian Westwood with 280 runs to add to an unbeaten 155 in a university match. Great start to his benefit year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PDS1985 wrote: »
    In the County Championship match at Taunton - Middlesex are 10/0 at the close of play.

Somerset were all out for 408 (Hildreth 187 and Trescothick 140) in their first innings.

It was Trescothick's 56th and Hildreth's 32nd first-class centuries in their careers.

Trescothick and Hildreth also put on a 261 run stand in a third wicket partnership (of a run rate of 5.40 in 48.2 overs) as well.

It was a terrible batting collapse though (for Somerset) from 312/2 to 408 all out - with five (of our) batsmen getting ducks in the scorecard.

I don't imagine Somerset could have thought they could lose a game after being 312-2.

Sadly Notts game was rained off , though no guarantee that Notts would have won . Hales has about 600 runs this season, and our new opener , Brendon Taylor has already got two tons. We are lacking a spin bowler, Samit Patel is taking a few expensive wickets and having a poor run with the bat .
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good batting start from Scott Borthwick for Durham.
    His winter in Sri Lanka was interesting in that it appeared he was employed primarily as a bowler, not to great success.
    I noticed he was always, I think number 8, only the once appearing at/near number 3 where he scored a century. Maybe that time he came in as night watchman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange old day at Lords

Middlesex bowl Durham out for 294 gaining a lead of 169 but don't enforce the follow on

Middlesex are then bowled out for 89 with a last wicket stand of 39 getting nearly half their runs
    Durham, needing 259 to win, are 24/2

18 wickets so far today. Does that mean that Lords will send a pitch expert to Lords.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strange old day at Lords

Middlesex bowl Durham out for 294 gaining a lead of 169 but don't enforce the follow on

Middlesex are then bowled out for 89 with a last wicket stand of 39 getting nearly half their runs
    Durham, needing 259 to win, are 24/2

18 wickets so far today. Does that mean that Lords will send a pitch expert to Lords.....

Even if Middlesex win , that has to be the weirdest follow on decision for a while . Chances are they'd all be in the pub by 6 and have a day off today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Even if Middlesex win , that has to be the weirdest follow on decision for a while . Chances are they'd all be in the pub by 6 and have a day off today

Looks like they might make it for lunch:o

Durham 53/9 with Young England Lion James Harris taking 8/25 so far and Steve Finn 1/26

Dunno if it's the pitch or overhead conditions

Could be an interesting First Test
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Durham 71 all out with Harris taking 9/34

Raining in Northampton but hoping to start after lunch with Lancs on 216/4, still 169 behind
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like they might make it for lunch:o

Durham 53/9 with Young England Lion James Harris taking 8/25 so far and Steve Finn 1/26

Dunno if it's the pitch or overhead conditions

Could be an interesting First Test

Harris gets 9 -34, why not stick him in the test team, it is at Lord's . It would show some left field thinking, rather than going with the next on the taxi rank. I did mention him a couple of weeks ago as a possible test player, go for it..

Somerset 30 something for about 6, they are having a terrible start. Mick Newell was there checking on Overton and Gregory
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Harris gets 9 -34, why not stick him in the test team, it is at Lord's . It would show some left field thinking, rather than going with the next on the taxi rank. I did mention him a couple of weeks ago as a possible test player, go for it..

Somerset 30 something for about 6, they are having a terrible start. Mick Newell was there checking on Overton and Gregory

Isnt Harris one of the players whose toured with England and/or been in a few squads and never got a game. I didn't know who he was when Eng first picked him then was incredibly disappointed when i saw him in quite a few televised Middx T20 games last summer just running in and dropping it on a spot at 80mph. Obviously not a T20 player but blimey did he go out the park in the games i saw.

Judging by the weather (wind, dampness etc) i get the impression even my incredibly lower club league medium pace could get wkts at the mo. 3 innings less than 100 in last 24hrs and county players like Norwood, Rushworth, Harris, Shantry cleaning up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alfamale wrote: »
    Isnt Harris one of the players whose toured with England and/or been in a few squads and never got a game. I didn't know who he was when Eng first picked him then was incredibly disappointed when i saw him in quite a few televised Middx T20 games last summer just running in and dropping it on a spot at 80mph. Obviously not a T20 player but blimey did he go out the park in the games i saw.

Judging by the weather (wind, dampness etc) i get the impression even my incredibly lower club league medium pace could get wkts at the mo. 3 innings less than 100 in last 24hrs and county players like Norwood, Rushworth, Harris, Shantry cleaning up.

I first saw him when he was 17, he looked good then , but he has gone backwards since, but he is now in prime form so let's give him a go for England
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Durham 71 all out with Harris taking 9/34

Raining in Northampton but hoping to start after lunch with Lancs on 216/4, still 169 behind

Lancs have nearly caught Northants now but time running out for anyone to force a win with almost a full day having been lost so far.......I suppose the best chance of a result is for Lancs to declare when they reach Northants total then try and bowl them out cheap in two sessions with two more sessions to get the runs.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Lancs have nearly caught Northants now but time running out for anyone to force a win with almost a full day having been lost so far.......I suppose the best chance of a result is for Lancs to declare when they reach Northants total then try and bowl them out cheap in two sessions with two more sessions to get the runs.......

No, I think we should try and get as big as lead as poss

That well known Australian batsman, Peter Siddle, going well on 80*:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I think we should try and get as big as lead as poss

That well known Australian batsman, Peter Siddle, going well on 80*:)

Yeah, I had a rethink.........probably best to try and get runs now while we have somebody scoring fairly quickly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lancs managed a lead of 51 before grabbing a couple of early wickets
    Northants recovered to 42/2 at the close

With the weather likely to play a part, the draw still looks fav.

Just noticed that Someset lost their 3rd successive game as they were bowled out by Worcs for 90.

Lots of good bowling conditions around it seems (seams..:D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Northants just batted all day and didn't bother declaring and putting Lancs in to try and win the game......

by the end of the game they were nearly 350 ahead

seems strange not to at least have a go at bowling Lancs out once the game was 'safe'

As it is the draw keeps Lancs at the top of the table with Northants in 2nd