[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
yay or nay ?

are they nice, who like mushy peas ? Can't remember what they taste like

fish n chips from chippy tonight, but just seeing what mushy peas are like

Comments

• mccfluffmccfluff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    i don't mind them if i make my own but i don't like the look of the stuff from the chippy, it glows....:o
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    yay or nay ?

are they nice, who like mushy peas ? Can't remember what they taste like

fish n chips from chippy tonight, but just seeing what mushy peas are like

It's love/hate time really and I LOVE 'em:D. Most chippy's tend to use Marrow-fat peas which have a better flavour then the normal garden variety .
    Go on, treat your self they are usually 80p to £1 a tub . A light sprinkling with the vinegar
    works wonders as well. Enjoy!😻
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yey for me. Always have some in the cupboard
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a Southerner who moved oop north, it took me a while to try this exotic local delicacy - they serve plates of it with mint sauce around here:o
    I've still not had a plate of peas, but I do now like mushy peas with my fish 'n chips - though I'm still holding out against gravy or curry sauce:p

Anyway I hope the OP reports back on their culinary exploits!:D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mushy peas were an essential addition to any chippy dinner in Lancs where I grew up

Now I'm down South I make my own.......dried marrowfat peas are dirt cheap. I get them at Tesco for about 80p for a 500g pack

I don't go for exact measurements.......I reckon a handful is one portion and there's about 10 or 12 handfuls in the pack

Soak overnight in a bowl with a teaspoon of bicarb and plenty of water

simmer the next day for about 40 minutes until the peas start breaking up

start with a little water and add more as you go along to keep it thick

Generally I add more water and some powdered stock to make pea soup........which is basically watered down mushy peas
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This could be one for the Fussy Eating thread for me.

I can eat them but wouldn't usually.
    I'd prefer garden peas - even a modern mushy pea using mashed or whizzed up garden peas.

but every now and then I will fancy them. Maybe with fish n chips but probably more when I fancy pie & mash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only peas to have with fish and chips. I usually cheat and mash up tinned marrowfat peas. Dont know anything about it being a northern thing though. I rarely have them now but I lived in S London for 50 years and it was always mushy peas in the chip shop. Now I'm in the midlands and I can't do the curry sauce or cheese on chips. Gravy is OK if the chips are with a pie but then it has to be petit pois. God, its complicated isn't it? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    hi..thanks for the replies( bit late lol)..I just had the fish and chips..But next time i might try them..I have had them in the past years ago, and still remember what they tasted like..wasn't in the mood for them as i have been full of headcold and been out just once..feel better now just lol
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love them. Always get them with my chips from the local chippy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definatley yay, asked for fish, chips & peas in Brixham Torbay a few years ago & was given garden peas, yuck, theres a place for them but not with chippy fish & chips, mushy all the way
  • bunny93bunny93 Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    LOVE them :)
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a southerner I have obviously never tried them. I just looked them up on Google Images though and am astounded that they look like Waitrose guacamole dip. Are they not one and the same thing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basically dried marrowfat peas, bicarb of soda, salt, pepper & water

http://britishfood.about.com/od/tzrecipes/r/Traditional-Mushy-Peas-Recipe.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a southerner I have obviously never tried them. I just looked them up on Google Images though and am astounded that they look like Waitrose guacamole dip. Are they not one and the same thing?

You are Peter Mandelson and I claim my £5! 😸
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fish, chips & mushy peas is my death row meal.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're making a habit of this :D

I will only eat the ones made by putting sugar snap peas in a blender.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,913
    Forum Member
    I either like making my own i.e soaking a pack of Leo peas with a steeping tablet and adding salt and sugar or I like tinned Bigga marrowfat peas, which are looser and not as stodgy as other tinned mushy peas.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife and I had Fish n chips in the park and sunshine this evening and we had them with some very delicious mushy peas. (and chip shop curry sauce too)

A grand meal indeed. We had them in the paper while sat on the grass. A perfect way to end this extremely hot day. Then an ice cream from the van and then the pub for a cold pint.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curry, ice cream and beer sounds a potential recipe for disaster :D
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,913
    Forum Member
    My wife and I had Fish n chips in the park and sunshine this evening and we had them with some very delicious mushy peas. (and chip shop curry sauce too)

A grand meal indeed. We had them in the paper while sat on the grass. A perfect way to end this extremely hot day. Then an ice cream from the van and then the pub for a cold pint.

Yum :). Would skipped the ice-cream personally. Chipshop curry sauce is lush :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't mind them once in a while but I much prefer garden peas.

Can't stand processed peas though.
  • catzooocatzooo Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Love the individual frozen packs of mushy peas. Just microwave a few mins. Yummy
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love mushy peas.

Not sure where the North/South divide is coming from - Way down in Berkshire I was eating them 40 years ago, when I was small.

Mum would serve them with bangers and mash, yum.

I recall years ago, one could buy a tinned variety with added mint.:confused: bit random, a mushy peas do not need mucking about with:p
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    I recall years ago, one could buy a tinned variety with added mint.:confused: bit random, a mushy peas do not need mucking about with:p

Pretty sure I tried them

I've never found any tinned one to be much good........I usually find them too wet, like peas in juice.......and if you try and cook them long enough to reduce the liquid it just all sticks to the pan

Mushy peas should be solid, the same consistency as mashed potato
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love mushy peas, either with fish and chips or with pie and chips. i don't really have them with anything else though, and prefer garden peas to marrowfat. Better still are fresh pea pods. I made a pea and ham soup with fresh pea pods recently and was surprised at how much it tasted like mushy peas. I don't know why I was surprised really when I thought about it,. it's just blended peas afterall, I just wasn't expecting the taste to be so similar with using fresh garden peas..