DWTS Week 7, 2nd May UKTV

martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some impressions of this week's show:

Marissa & Tony

Tango: Marissa had her hair in a bun, still wasn't sure about it. And Tony looked like a bus conductor. Dance was traditional and very competent. Len made a quip about the History channel. We've heard Len make references to the History channel before - wonders if this is a serious secret passion of Len's or just a remark he's repeating.

Rhumba: I'd have thought that someone with wide hips could have produced a very strong hip action, but it wasn't there.

Christian & Cheryl

VW: only a small proportion of the performance was close-hold twirling. OK, but it didn't excite me.

Samba: thoughts about this are dominated by what happened when Christian got injured. First, he seems to have such muscular arms - I couldn't get over the idea that these beefed up muscles, that he's obviously so proud of, had gone wrong. Then there's the idea that samba is a latin dance and earlier in the series he seemed to think of himself as some iconic latin dancer. Samba can be hard for a man, so his pride was at stake here too. I wondered if he wasn't glad of an opportunity to excuse himself from not getting full marks. Not convinced that he wasn't taking some advantage from that injury.

Kristi & Mark

VW: not keen on the officer's uniform, a bit cheesy for my taste. Kristi in a nice flowing chiffon dress, and flowing hair - quite a modern feel to the dress. This dance was more traditional than mamy VW's we've seen, with lots of twirling, and even more extra solo twirling from Kristi. I enjoyed it. Scored low by Len. Len seemed to give quite a lot 8's tonight - maybe he's making his marking a bit more realistic, and leaving the high scores for performances that really are exceptional, later in the series.

Cha-cha: nice turquoise/jade costumes. I was expecting Kristi's cha-cha to very precise and technical and maybe to lack the fun element. But I thought this performance was great. Liked the musical arrangement and the sort of syncopation it had (perhaps that was the hip-hop element that Len disliked).

Mario & Karina

Foxtrot: Karina's dress was very low on her hips, and with hair flowing, didn't really notice Mario much throughout the dance. But in that sense it was a convincing performance - I was transported away.

Mambo: in this performance I felt Mario was almost as good as Karina; this dance suited his temperament; whenever he goes out clubbing I can imagine he will be doing some of the moves Karina tought him (and its probably a bit similar to the styles he uses in the pop videos that we saw briefly)

Shannon & Derek

Tango: nice seniorita make-up for Shannon. She looked great. Choreography seemed to be more ambitious tham Marissa's, and have more Argentinian-type flicks md moves in it than Marissa's. A good performance.

Mambo: more nice seniorita make-up for Shannon, very attractive. They had the misfortune, in my mind, to follow Mario, with the same dance, and so looked a bit weak in comparison.

Very sorry to see them go. They were my favourite couple. I'd have preferred to see Christian or Marissa go. But even if Shannon had stayed in, I don't think she would have been able to beat Kristi or Jason in a couple of weeks time.

Jason & Edyta

Quickstep: Jason was suprisingly light and nimble on his feet. Very good performance. Edyta had toned down her costume a bit and wasn't the centre of attention this week (perhaps Edyta was so confident about Jason in this dance she felt there was no need for any distractions).

Paso: the quite striking music used is apparently the theme tune from a US football TV show, and the colours that Edyta and Jason were wearing were the colours of Miami Dolphins, the team Jason plays for. I suppose an equivalent here would have been if John Barnes had come on in a Liverpool shirt, to do the salsa to strains of "Match of the Day" - that would have brought the house down here, irrespective of the dancing. As for Jason's paso, I didn't care for it that much. Jason looked big and strong, but it lacked sharpness and aggression, and Spanish atmosphere. I felt the use of the football theme here was a bit like Edyta's use of the Superman theme in her paso from the last series, both actually quite clever and original. Getting the impression that Edyta is a smart girl.

Results Show

The kiddies feature seems to have disappeared (wonder if that's permanent or temporary), and the time slot filled in by Dance Centre. Not sorry to see the kids go. Some of the Dance Centre was quite funny. Especially liked the clips of Mark fish-mouthing it, and Jason's pose that he does in many of the dances.

Def Leppard - their music is not to my taste, but their first number made a great backing track for the pros' paso, and danced enthousiastically.

"Behind the Scenes" - always an interesting item - the TV director's job - precise real-time cutting on every scene in every dance - must be a nightmare.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got hooked to this show, I love it :) The same as SCD but yet so different...

I can't take to Marissa & Tony. Ok she's a good dancer but she's talks nineteen to the dozen and she's tiring to listen to.

Christian does a fine job, but did he get through this week with sympathy votes :confused:

Kristi is amazing with Mark. From what I've seen of her so far, I think she looks so serious when she's dancing and needs to lighten up a bit. Her partner is gorgeous and loved the way she took him on the ice to chill. She'll probably win overall.

Shannon & Derek - well I was sorry to see them leave but their fired up comments last week couldn't have done them any favours. She comes over as being a spoilt brat with the way she turns on the tears.

Jason's huge!

Mario was amazing and I think he could give Kristi a run for her money. I can see him being in the final with her.

The results show seem much better than SCD. I'd enjoyed the kiddies feature but loved the Dance Centre and see how they rip the celebs to shreds. Tony would be good in a toothpaste advert.

I found a couple of interviews on youtube with Shannon and Derek from week 7, after their elminiation, on other shows. One was from Regis and Kelly and the other was from the Jimmy Kimmel show. If anyone's interested:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdDfK53YHUg

and

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NoOHMOPs2I4
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that Jason's music was actually the music for the old BBC programme Superstars originally - did think it was a bit odd
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marissa & Tony
    She is improving & I liked her hair up, she was better at the Tango than the Rhumba, unfortunately her very short limbs don't look right with her attempting the sinuousy stuff. I really can't stand her shrieking & screeching, hopefully the "jokey" (snidey) comments in the results show might make her realise & she'll tone it down next week.
    Christian & Cheryl
    I think he has improved too but I get annoyed (like Len) when they do the smooth versions of ballroom dances with loads of faffing intro - it's boring! Lets see the proper VW like on SCD with reverse turns & fleckles (sp?).
    The samba started off quite well, started to go flat & then the injury. I could tell it was n't a put-up job cos I saw the muscle tension in his arm where it had gone into spasm. Also the perspiration & shock in his eyes with the pain - he'd have to be a very good actor to put that on!
    For some reason I've really gone off Cheryl this season & have to try to look beyond my dislike. I loathe her hairstyle & my hatred of it has taken on biblical proportions :eek: :o.
    It's difficult to know if he got a sympathy vote as personally I don't think the Americans are as pathetic as us in that area (they like a winner not an under-dog).
    Kristi & Mark
    Very good performances all round, thought the VW choreography was better than Cheryl's & Mark looked hot in that uniform (don't care if it was cheesy :D).
    The Cha-cha was my fave & really good for her cos she was n't so robotic - love her speed & precision.
    Mario & Karina
    He is getting better too, Karina needs to concentrate on his precision as his natural rhythm, musicality, sexuality & grace are already there. Foxtrot was visually nice but as I said above not quite on the button.
    Mambo was really great, suited his personality & style. I thought he & Karina really gelled together in this dance. Starting to wonder if these two are flying under the radar, everyone is so focused on the Der-non showmance are they missing the clues here? I've heard Karina was single, is Mario? (Mind you that has n't stopped celebs in the past!).
    Shannon & Derek
    Liked their tango but the mambo was not her dance. Unfortunately she is not improving & her long limbs are not being controlled enough, making her look gawky. It probably does not help that she was paired with a man smaller than her tbh. Their ranting the week before did not do them any favours imo because really she is not as good as most of the others left at latin & no one likes to see a sore looser.
    Jason & Edyta
    Liked the quickstep but hated his long-line box jacket, could not see his shape properly & made him look like a brick!
    Hated the paso interpretation, obviously an American thing cos of the football music & costume but I felt it did not suit the dance at all & spoiled it for me - too gimicky.
    I'm not as enamoured by Jason's dancing as some of the judges. I think Mario is nearly as good but they seem to have this obsession with athletes/sports persons imo.
    Results Show
    Did not think I'd like the rock music but actually I did, I was so annoyed when I was ogling Mark & Tony in their "pleather" & they cut to the aging, overweight singer with his dark glasses on (in the dark :rolleyes:). I was shouting at the TV camera man "back to the dancers you plonker" but it was not to be :(. Obviously I had to rewind it & watch their bit at least 3-4 times to ensure they danced well ;).
    I found the "Dance Centre" spoof hysterical & was hooting with laughter at Mark's fishmouth, Marissa's speedtalk & Jason's Greek God statue "pose". Who says we have n't got the same sense of humour over the pond?
    The professional couple whose names I did not catch were very sensual & reminded me a tad of the Jordans.
    I think the right couple went for my money but it's all down to personal taste really as they were all the best of the original bunch. As I've mentioned I think Shannon was quite good at the ballroom but not improving in the latin & was right to be in the bottom 2.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also didn't like Shannon's mambo. I didn't like the way she "shook" her fake hips at the judges table. It was as if she was trying to prove a point.

Also, did she really have to admit to having fake everything except for her nails.... Very OTT:rolleyes:
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I think it's reached the stage where whoever goes, it's going to be a real loss to the competition.

Hard to gauge what may have happened without Kristian's injury, and I just hope that now he has been saved it does not impede him, especially considering that presumably if he'd withdrawn this week, he'd have spared someone else an elimination. That sounds harsh when you consider that I like his attitude and his dancing!

I think on balance, much as Marissa has improved, I was not surprised she was in the bottom two, as the rhumba in particular did not seem very engaging.

Shannon's tango was great, but once again her Latin dance let her down, so it was not that surprising to see her in the bottom and also going (emotional meltdown of the week before aside). A shame in many ways, as I would have enjoyed seeing a few more ballroom dances from her.

I guess Kristi had to have an "off" week sometime, although it's clearly a matter of degree as she wasn't as "off" as some of the others are when they're "off"! I did enjoy both dances, but have to agree with Len at least a little about going off tack.

I loved Jason's quickstep and although I admire Edyta's creativity in the paso (following on from last year with Cameron) I do feel that there needed to be a bit more of a traditional feel to their movements in places, otherwise there was a danger you could forget it was a paso! I am not that surprised he's challenging Kristi at the top now, though.

I think Mario did a great job this week and all things considered I'm glad he didn't end up in the bottom two again.