MotoGP

LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
Forum Member
✭✭
Couldn't find the old thread, so had to start a new one!

Historic day today - huge congratulations to Cal Crutchlow, the first British rider to win in the top class since Barry Sheene in 1981. John McPhee won in Moto3 and Sam Lowes took a 3rd in Moto2: a British rider on the podium in every race.

Scott Redding rode an excellent race, but drying track trashed his tyres, (and those of many others), so the Brits had a great morning.

Very brave riding in dreadful conditions, and 3 really exciting races. And just 2 weeks to the British MotoGP. Let's all pray for rain again!

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1240622&page=26

Went to Silverstone last year in the wet so no thank you. Two years before that was blazing hot and I was falling asleep by the middle of the last race (Moto3) of the day. So I am hoping for cool dry conditions this year.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, you got what you wished for, Gomezz!

What a great day's racing in all 3 classes, I was worn out from the excitement by the end of it.

Delighted to see Crutchlow on the podium again and whatever the team has done to Maverick's bike has really worked a treat.
    Forum Member
    Yep. Didn't fall asleep until after a post-meet pint and curry in front of the relatively tedious F1 on the telly.

Has the Suzuki had an engine upgrade? Won't be watching my recording of the races until tomorrow morning so don't know if they mentioned anything.
    Forum Member
    ps Can someone tell the BBC Pronunciation unit how to say Viñales. ^_^
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Has the Suzuki had an engine upgrade? Won't be watching my recording of the races until tomorrow morning so don't know if they mentioned anything.

Maverick said the team had worked really hard on the bike, but I don't recall an upgrade being mentioned.
    Forum Member
    On the post-race review podcast they talked about Suzuki having found something said in terms that indicated more than the usual wishful thinking from underperforming teams.
    Forum Member
    edited 20/10/23 - 23:25 #8
    Probably not going to be seen by many as already gone to bed and won't be watching today's (Saturday) coverage until later so will be staying away from this thread but just a heads up that due to forecast high speed cross-winds on the Sunday they have swapped the feature race to today after all the quali sessions and re-scheduled the Sprint race for Sunday which (along with the support Moto3 and Moto2 races) may be delayed, shortened or cancelled.

They mentioned the 2019 weekend at Phillip Island as guiding their decision making but more memorable in my memory was the hurricane which touched the Indianapolis event in 2008 which forced rescheduling of the main race until the Monday.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Probably not going to be seen by many as already gone to bed and won't be watching today's (Saturday) coverage until later so will be staying away from this thread but just a heads up that due to forecast high speed cross-winds on the Sunday they have swapped the feature race to today after all the quali sessions and re-scheduled the Sprint race for Sunday which (along with the support Moto3 and Moto2 races) may be delayed, shortened or cancelled.

They mentioned the 2019 weekend at Phillip Island as guiding their decision making but more memorable in my memory was the hurricane which touched the Indianapolis event in 2008 which forced rescheduling of the main race until the Monday.

I really don’t see the point of the sprint race. It’s basically the main race with less laps. Not a big fan of it in F1 but at least it’s different to main one in that there is no pitstop but moto gp doesn’t have them unless it’s a wet race.
    Forum Member
    New season starts this weekend.

Heads up that there has been another tweak to the practise sessions. Only the second practise now count as pre-qualifying to decide the top ten to go straight into second quali proper. Moto3 and Moto2 changed similarly - check the schedule on the MotoGP web site for full details.

One thing this means if you are a keen follower but are unable to dedicate time to watch all the practise sessions is that you may want to skip first (and possibly third) practise and concentrate on the second practise on Friday afternoon. Especially for this coming weekend given it clashes with the test cricket, Six Nations rugby and F1 as well as the usual tranche of football.
  • NoahsGirlNoahsGirl Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I sincerely hope this season isn't dominated by Ducati, really hoping the other manufacturers have found something that will let them challenge for the wins and championships.
    Forum Member
    edited 07/03/24 - 21:51 #12
    Sadly not if the MotoGP podcast contributors I listen to have got it right from following the tests. There could though be a tightle fightle between reigning champ Bagnia in the factory team on the latest bike and Marquez in a satellite team on last year's bike.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young Acosta is gonna be fun to watch this season judging by the first 2 races. It’s just what moto gp needs.
    Forum Member
    edited 24/03/24 - 22:14 #14
    He is my new young hero to follow after over twenty years of being a Rossi fan from his 125 days. Never liked Marquez (especially afer his 2015 antics) and there is something about Bagnaia I can't put my finger on.