BBC to 'change potentially' if Scottish referendum ends in yes.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
Forum Member
Link here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19946171

Anyone more enlightened than me think that a Scottish split would mean a different BBC that might have a less favorable attitude to New-Who??

Comments

• QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How? BBC Wales makes Doctor Who, not BBC Scotland. Hopefully it would mean the end of 'Mrs Brown's Boys'.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that David Tennant and Karen Gillan are Scottish, I think the thought of Scots having a poor opinion of DW can be dispelled. DW has put some Scottish talent in the public eye! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Given that David Tennant and Karen Gillan are Scottish, I think the thought of Scots having a poor opinion of DW can be dispelled. DW has put some Scottish talent in the public eye! :)

I think there's also some chap called Moffat.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I'm confused. Is there some/any reason to think Doctor Who isn't liked in Scotland? Where did this come from?
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I'm confused. Is there some/any reason to think Doctor Who isn't liked in Scotland? Where did this come from?

Actually I think the point (not) being made was that the series would fall out of favour with the BBC if Scotland left because the man currently in charge of it is Scottish.

Which is insane.

But I could be equally confused.
    Forum Member
    ^That's hilarious.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So all Scots will have to work in Scottish TV, and only Welsh, English and Northern Irish will be allowed to work in the WENIBC ?

Thank goodness we got Tennant before the split!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    *sigh*:rolleyes:

I'm not asking anyone to read between the (minimal) lines I wrote.
    Just wonder if, the (IMO) half-glass-emptyl Nick Robinson has any pertinent point to make about a BBC that would be less secure, rich or whatever other good attributes it has currently.

Obviously recently the Director-General of the Beeb has made a very encouraging statement about the show's future.

I'm just sincerely asking anyone who knows more about TV networks than myself what a referendum could mean for prime-time, long-running shows like Nu-Who.
    Forum Member
    I'm just sincerely asking anyone who knows more about TV networks than myself what a referendum could mean for prime-time, long-running shows like Nu-Who.

I don't think it means anything, to be honest :)
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    I think the OP has a fair point actually. The BBC is already strapped for cash because of cuts imposed on it and Doctor Who is not a cheap program to make, (which may or may not be one of the reasons why there was so little Doctor Who broadcast in 2012).

I've no idea what would happen to the BBC if Scotland vote yes (or indeed the country as a whole :( ) but one could assume that there would be fewer people to contribute to the license fee. The BBC may have to dig out the old Myrka prop.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    The BBC might save a few pennies when they are no longer funding services for Scotland, while at the same time collecting some payment from Scottish TV for BBC content. Maybe. Although one might expect sales of Freesat boxes to rocket in Scotland the day after BBC One gets switched off.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Actually, remembering that BBC America funds some of Doctor Who these days, that's a sure sign that independence doesn't necessarily translate to lack of funding for quality programs :)
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*Facepalms at self's own ignorance*

My bad. :D but that only reinforces my point. :D
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    At this rate we might end up with at least 4 independent Doctor Whos running simultaneously. One each for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England. And then Yorkshire would want to get in on the action, and then Cornwall and the rest of the regions.

:D

Maybe not. ;)
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not to mention the real McCoy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread also assumes that anybody in Scotland actually pays their TV license.

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC would scrap tonnes of other shows before they ever scrapped cash-cow Who

And if Scotland went independent, there'd still be Scottish people on the telly! Just like there are English people in US TV shows (rather a lot of them actually)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than a third of people in Scotland currently support the idea of independence. Furthermore the idea is inextricably linked to Alex Salmond, who is either going to become the first politician in all history to become more popular the longer he stays or is going to run the idea further into the ground.

So my prediction is that the Union will be fine.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Less than a third of people in Scotland currently support the idea of independence. Furthermore the idea is inextricably linked to Alex Salmond, who is either going to become the first politician in all history to become more popular the longer he stays or is going to run the idea further into the ground.

So my prediction is that the Union will be fine.

Maybe the unionists should pop the question of possible end of Doctor Who into the heads of the electorate. A bit of scaremongering.

"Hospitals? Schools? Pensions? Hmmm... not convinced..s***! Doctor Who at risk you say!? Put me down as a No.". :)
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were you I'd be much more worried about the Jimmy Saville scandal affecting it. That could have a worse effect on funding and a lot more imminently, because we know people are already upset about it, it's still being discussed after several months and not slowing down, and it might even turn out more people were involved (not saying it was the ones on Doctor Who, just that it's not going to be forgotten before licence fees are due).
    OTOH the independent Scotland will likely not even happen, if it does it may not affect the BBC, and it won't be for several years so we might be out of the recession by then.
    HERE'S a thread on GD asking the same thing, and I think there's one in Broadcasting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I think the OP has a fair point actually. The BBC is already strapped for cash because of cuts imposed on it and Doctor Who is not a cheap program to make, (which may or may not be one of the reasons why there was so little Doctor Who broadcast in 2012).

I've no idea what would happen to the BBC if Scotland vote yes (or indeed the country as a whole :( ) but one could assume that there would be fewer people to contribute to the license fee. The BBC may have to dig out the old Myrka prop.

No, you're right, Who is not a cheap show to make. Of course it's also one of the BBC's top five brands that bring in something like 30% of their revenue...

Sorry, but I really don't understand why people wonder if Who is vulnerable. It's a massive ratings success, brings in a ton of money overseas, was the top selling show on iTunes in the US last year and is one of very few brands the BBC owns with significant merchandise potential. Not to mention the small matter of an entire building dedicated to the show down in Cardiff with a lease signed until 2017. It's an cash cow for them, a ratings success and a guarantee of column inches and PR in newspapers, magazines and websites across the land. Why on earth would they cancel it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Well I'm pretty happy with Who at the moment, the latest half season being very solid if perhaps not quite as brilliant as the best episodes of the 2010 season.
    And I am delighted that it is doing well in the US, as well as Canada and Australia.

I don't expect it to be cancelled anytime soon, just not sure if the quality or working culture may take a dive. I don't expect Scotland to separate either deep down, but preliminary polls can every so often be misleading. Thus putting out a hypothetical query was my inclination upon reading the article i gave the link to.
    No, you're right, Who is not a cheap show to make. Of course it's also one of the BBC's top five brands that bring in something like 30% of their revenue...

Sorry, but I really don't understand why people wonder if Who is vulnerable. It's a massive ratings success, brings in a ton of money overseas, was the top selling show on iTunes in the US last year and is one of very few brands the BBC owns with significant merchandise potential. Not to mention the small matter of an entire building dedicated to the show down in Cardiff with a lease signed until 2017. It's an cash cow for them, a ratings success and a guarantee of column inches and PR in newspapers, magazines and websites across the land. Why on earth would they cancel it?
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't expect it to be cancelled anytime soon, just not sure if the quality or working culture may take a dive. I don't expect Scotland to separate either deep down, but preliminary polls can every so often be misleading. Thus putting out a hypothetical query was my inclination upon reading the article i gave the link to.

So not Tory Fearmongering then? "Vote 'No' or the BBC will cancel Doctor Who!"
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Link here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19946171

Anyone more enlightened than me think that a Scottish split would mean a different BBC that might have a less favorable attitude to New-Who??

Rupert Murdoch wants a split, and he's often seen with Alex Salmond - a weaker BBC is good for Rupert - so i'd be a bit worried.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were you I'd be much more worried about the Jimmy Saville scandal affecting it. That could have a worse effect on funding and a lot more imminently, because we know people are already upset about it, it's still being discussed after several months and not slowing down, and it might even turn out more people were involved (not saying it was the ones on Doctor Who, just that it's not going to be forgotten before licence fees are due).
    OTOH the independent Scotland will likely not even happen, if it does it may not affect the BBC, and it won't be for several years so we might be out of the recession by then.
    HERE'S a thread on GD asking the same thing, and I think there's one in Broadcasting.

The Jimmy Savile "thing" isn't a BBC scandal. It is a scandal that occurred partly on BBC premises and largely in NHS buildings. Why are people so blinkered by newspaper stories that seem to suggest that his vile behaviour is a BBC problem and a BBC problem only? The Sun calls him the "BBC Pervert." He could equally be known as "The NHS Pervert". As long as the BBC carry out proper enquiries and act appropriately on their findings, they will be fine.

And, if Scotland gets its independence, so will Doctor Who.