The Lady Vanishes

Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
Forum Member
Love this film!

On BBC 2 tomorrow morning at 8-35 am.

Plot Summary

Classic thriller starring Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave. One moment Miss Froy was sitting there, on the London-bound train from the Tyrol. The next she had vanished. Some passengers claimed she was never there, but Iris Henderson is convinced that she saw her. Was it her imagination?

'Charters and Caldicott' near enough steal it from under the noses of the lead actors.

Highly recommended.

http://www.radiotimes.com/film/hs8xr/the-lady-vanishes

Comments

• DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is a wonderful slab of classic Hitchcock isn't it? Some bits of it are fabulously bonkers and there's a few plot holes but its a great ride. As it was shot prior to WW2 you can see lots of messages in it about English people who think they are above getting evolved and doing nothing as bad things are happening in this European matter.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    One of my favourites.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Charters and Caldicott..
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Yes it is a wonderful slab of classic Hitchcock isn't it? Some bits of it are fabulously bonkers and there's a few plot holes but its a great ride. As it was shot prior to WW2 you can see lots of messages in it about English people who think they are above getting evolved and doing nothing as bad things are happening in this European matter.
    :)

It is, much like his Strangers On A Train ....another one I can watch over and over again.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lockwood and Redgrave are genuinely sexy together as well...power of suggestion in those days. Very funny as well.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It's one of Hitchcock's best films(I'd put it just behind Psycho) and also one of my favourite films. Lockwood and Redgrave are fantastic as the bickering couple, then there is the cricket loving Englishmen and the "Lady". The use of the train setting adds to the suspense. Interesting "MacGuffin" as well. Absolutely blows all the other adaptations of it to pieces.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    :)

It is, much like his Strangers On A Train ....another one I can watch over and over again.

This is a Hitchcock film that I have never seen. I must try to watch it. If it is anything like Strangers on a Train then it will be very enjoyable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Charters and Caldicott", as another pair of English types are in the funny story in the great horror film "Dead of Night" (the one with the ventriloquist dummy :eek:)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this it's been years since I saw it last time, the remakes never quite lived up to the classic though.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael redgrave is also a musician. and therefore could be carrying the actual message with miss froy a decoy .......TOO damn clever ......

..... anyone else think C & C are supposed to be gay ?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    michael redgrave is also a musician. and therefore could be carrying the actual message with miss froy a decoy .......TOO damn clever ......

You can interpret it however you like. There is no wrong answer.

I think C & C happen to be close friends, who are into cricket and the English traditions as a bid to escape the psychological effects of the Great War. But, I'm happy with others' theories that they're a gay couple. I don't see why not.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »

Never crossed my mind. :)
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My second favourite Hitchcock movie (after 'Psycho'). Great entertainment.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    It's on again BBC Four Christmas Day 9pm :)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My second favourite Hitchcock movie (after 'Psycho'). Great entertainment.
    It's on again BBC Four Christmas Day 9pm :)

This is a Hitchcock film that I have never seen. I will at least try and record it to watch another time.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Coming out on UK Blu-ray in January.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this at the BFI recently, a throughly delighful film! :)
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to The Lady Vanishes on the radio, as a play, a long time ago. Much later I saw that there was a film of the same name. Of course I thought it wasn't half as good as 'the original'. Actually I understand that the radio play stayed rather closer to the book on which they were both based.