Options

Ella Henderson: Favouritism? Very bad dressing + Awful Singing

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I think she's brilliant, really enjoyed her performance :) I also think people forget that she's only 16
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    To put things in perspective, this was Leona's version of Loving You she did at 15. Ella's version was not as good as that at all, and her F#6 sounded very strained like she was screaming the note.

If I want nitpicking on Leona's rendition I would say at 1.30 there was a false note, the second wistle was screaming also and after the 3 whistle the intonation was false.

But I will not nitpicking, Leona's rendition was beautiful and endearing.
    God, I hate the bitching on female artists.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    If I want nitpicking on Leona's rendition I would say at 1.30 there was a false note, the second wistle was screaming also and after the 3 whistle the intonation was false.

The things you 'nitpicked' on were virtually non-existent. However there were several obvious flaws in Ella's performance. She's definitely a decent vocalist, but nowhere near Leona's level. :)
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes, i agree and comparing a live performance to a studio recording is hardly putting things into perspective.:rolleyes: some people are clearly still miffed by louis`s comment last week.:sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see difference is, Leona doesn't have to scream to reach those notes, there are plenty of examples on a thing called YouTube of her hitting Eb6 flawlessly and effortlessly live before people start getting too upset. Ella's been over-hyped and has under-delivered and I certainly wasn't impressed by her screaming those notes tonight. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The things you 'nitpicked' on were virtually non-existent. However there were several obvious flaws in Ella's performance. She's definitely a decent vocalist, but nowhere near Leona's level. :)

Maybe we can agree on, that Leona's rendition was RnB und in Studio.
    Ella's rendition was "Blue Eyed Soul" and a first live performance, what do you think how much time did she studied this piece? 4 hours?. My respect she has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we can agree on, that Leona's rendition was RnB und in Studio.
    Ella's rendition was "Blue Eyed Soul" and a first live performance, what do you think how much time did she studied this piece? 4 hours?. My respect she has.

4 hours? I'm pretty sure all the contestants spend the entire week rehearsing their songs. Leona's version may have been in the studio, but she was hitting similar notes when she was on the X Factor (Lady Marmalade) and even afterwards all live and without straining and screaming. Ella is good for her age, but I'm not going to get caught up in all the hype and act as if she is some legendary vocalist. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 hours? I'm pretty sure all the contestants spend the entire week rehearsing their songs. Leona's version may have been in the studio, but she was hitting similar notes when she was on the X Factor (Lady Marmalade) and even afterwards all live and without straining and screaming. Ella is good for her age, but I'm not going to get caught up in all the hype and act as if she is some legendary vocalist. :)

Legendary vocalist? Maybe not, but surely like Adele an intelligent singer and songwriter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leona is a great vocalist, it has to be said, but generally some of these armchair critiques are pretty laughable.:o writing a few technical vocal phases does not make posters more credible.:yawn: who would have thought a throwaway comment from louis would cause such a fuss?:sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legendary vocalist? Maybe not, but surely like Adele an intelligent singer and songwriter.

Yes I agree she is definitely a good artist. But at the end of the day I just think Leona is better than her, and I'm not going to change that. Ella has been way way over-hyped and really she can't match up to some of the praise she has been given yet, to be honest I don't care what Louis thinks. His past track record shows he usually gets it wrong any way. It's quite bemusing that some people think any criticism of Ella is to do with that, but then again not everyone is capable of seeing past the hype. :)
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favouritism? - possibly
    Very bad dressing? - no
    Awful singing? - no

Y'know it's ok to recognise that both Leona and Ella have beautiful voices. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Favouritism? - possibly
    Very bad dressing? - no
    Awful singing? - no

Y'know it's ok to recognise that both Leona and Ella have beautiful voices. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

i quite agree, but louis`s comment last week stirred the pot and some people just can't see past that unfortunately. apart from that comment from louis, i don't really think she has been hyped that much. leona is great and i have all her albums. its just nice to see ella`s potential emerging and considering her age she could be really great later on.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    She was great. I just listened. Those notes WOW. I never thought she'd pull them off. With training, she'd be amazing. She looked lovely too.
  • Options
    LeahbelleLeahbelle Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I think she has a great voice. I liked her hair. Think the eyeliner is a bit over the top. I can tell she's nervous every week.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She reminds me of the Crazy frog.

Not many singers can reach that top note let alone nail it like Ella did last night.
  • Options
    LeahbelleLeahbelle Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I liked her dress too!
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To put things in perspective, this was Leona's version of Loving You she did at 15. Ella's version was not as good as that at all, and her F#6 sounded very strained like she was screaming the note.

Totally agree, and as you say, this was Leona at 15. It was a good attempt by Ella, but the song was a tad too big for her.
  • Options
    Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moali007 wrote: »
    Yh right baby it was soo Aweful ....just like your spelling.....:)

Oh the irony.
  • Options
    swan007swan007 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    She's got a great voice, but I don't think that she connected emotionally with the song. I know she's very young but she just didn't deliver the song well but I have thought that about all of her performances.
    Nice girl though.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    denda wrote: »
    Awe-some-ful singing.

But they need to go easy on that wretched eye-liner. She's in danger of looking like a character from a 1960's sitcom.

But not many artists would even attempt that song - let alone deliver a performance like Ella's.

Singing apart, I think she looks dreadful on stage. Compare the two photos:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/13/article-2217391-157DC159000005DC-34_634x942.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/14/article-2217391-157C41BB000005DC-330_634x938.jpg

She looks better without the wierd outfits and hairdos.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I respect the fact that she can hit notes in the whistle register, however she didn't "nail it" as Gary said: it was very flat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hayleylx wrote: »
    I think she's brilliant, really enjoyed her performance :) I also think people forget that she's only 16

Yes she is only 16 so why are the stylists making her look older? They should maje her look her age rather than putting on those ghastly eyelashes and strange hairdos. those 2 pics posted earlier prove she looks so much better without the styling.

she was good last night but not as good as last week and i feel an Adele song would have suited her better.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the suspicions about favoritism? What difference isn't going to make if the judges have favorites?
  • Options
    TomStarTomStar Posts: 2,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I thought her performance wasn't that good at all but a lot of that was due to the horrible choice of song. I switched off watching the show last night as I found it boring as hell but if she is considered the best of the night then this is a very poor year indeed!!
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She just destroyed that song and i don't know what the judges are talking about because that version of hers was all over the place. Seems like no matter how she sings now she is gonna get praise? :o

You don't like her. Others do.