Options

How do you like steak?

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that true? I've never ordered a blue steak, so I wouldn't know. Have others who enjoy blue steaks found this is a common occurrence?

I have been in steak restaurants in the US where they have levels of cooking rarer than blue but still not quite raw. I think they just wave the meat in the general direction of the grill.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere between well done and cremated.

Any sign of pinkness and I feel queasy.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Somewhere between well done and cremated.

Any sign of pinkness and I feel queasy.

I used to think the same way but flavour and texture are so much better if you can get over the pinkness thing and order medium. I've been to a couple of places (one was a pub on Exmoor)where they refused to serve steak well-done because it was a waste of a fine piece of meat.

My favourite cut is sirloin, cooked on the griddle pan and served with home-made chips (twice-fried in groundnut oil) and Bearnaise sauce - a sublime combination (and thanks to Nigel Slater for the inspiration). I've never understood the American fetish for adding tomatoes, onion rings, mushrooms, prawns etc. If it's a good steak, it doesn't need all that crap on it.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too fussy, but I like a little blood - helps me feel like a man!

Only it's not blood, it's myoglobin.

Medium rare (UK) or Medium (Continental Europe) for me, which appears to be the most popular choice.
  • Options
    PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Medium rare, yum
  • Options
    GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    well done! anything less and it makes me feel a bit peculiar!
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted medium but I prefer medium-well just to remove any possible trace of blood/pink
  • Options
    Natalie22Natalie22 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Medium to well done, seeing people eat it rare knocks me sick!
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think the same way but flavour and texture are so much better if you can get over the pinkness thing and order medium. I've been to a couple of places (one was a pub on Exmoor)where they refused to serve steak well-done because it was a waste of a fine piece of meat.

My favourite cut is sirloin, cooked on the griddle pan and served with home-made chips (twice-fried in groundnut oil) and Bearnaise sauce - a sublime combination (and thanks to Nigel Slater for the inspiration). I've never understood the American fetish for adding tomatoes, onion rings, mushrooms, prawns etc. If it's a good steak, it doesn't need all that crap on it.

I did have a go once but it was too much of a psychological hurdle and I gave up after two mouthfuls! Now that was a waste of meat. I rarely order steak at a restaurant anyway. Rather cremate my own at home!
  • Options
    miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue, if the chef is brave enough. Am also very happy to eat tartare if it's on offer.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always used to go well done, but started to go medium a while back! However when I was preggers I had to go back to well done.

Not that we eat much steak and I've not had any since having baby!

I fancy a steak now.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a taste for raw meat when I was a child.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I did have a go once but it was too much of a psychological hurdle and I gave up after two mouthfuls! Now that was a waste of meat. I rarely order steak at a restaurant anyway. Rather cremate my own at home!

No, me neither. It's quite easy to cook so I don't know why anyone would pay top dollar to have a professional chef do it. I'd rather order something that's genuinely difficult to cook, that I can't make as well myself.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    green855 wrote: »
    I don't know how people can eat that specially when its so bloody and red.

It's not blood - it's myoglobin (a mixture of water and protein).

And if I see someone eating a steak "well done" (quite the opposite actually I think "what a waste".
  • Options
    vivelamourvivelamour Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Blue. But then I also love steak tartare and carpaccio.

Oh, and when à steak is cooked correctly and rested properly no blood will come out of it.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've decided to try my steak blue when I next eat in a half-decent establishment.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Medium rare with onions and chips :)

I wish there was a lip-licking smiley to convey yummmm.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    I've decided to try my steak blue when I next eat in a half-decent establishment.

Good call. Steak tartar at a good restaurant is also delicious.
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done!
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    In any other restaurant other than a bona fide Steakhouse, it's the bloody side of medium-rare. In a Steakhouse, and at home, then it's a case of just waving a candle in front of the animal.
  • Options
    jwar1976jwar1976 Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Ever since going onto Aberdeen Angus a few weeks ago, I will only buy that now & every Monday for me is a dedicated steak night, which changes on a weekly basis, Ribeye, Sirloin, Rump. Today I had 8oz Ribeye cooked medium in olive oil with a little bit of pepper for flavouring. Had it with onion rings, onions, mushrooms, chips, tomatoes and a few pieces of Scampi to top it off. :D
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Medium Rare.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooked! :D

Okay, not.helpful :D I honestly don't know. I usually say medium just to speed up the ordering process :p
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not like beef at all. I have always found it too expensive too tough and under cooked so i will pass on that one . thank yu
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medium or Medium Rare.