Glee: Will they re-cast Finn?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    For me Finn's song will always be Jessie's Girl. For Finn and Rachel together it's Journey's Faithfully.

For Cory Monteith probably Peter Gabriel's I Grieve.

Good choice!!

Although I did like Finn and Rachel's...We've got tonight
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    film_fan wrote: »
    Good choice!!

Although I did like Finn and Rachel's...We've got tonight

I've checked out Finn's solos and there doesn't really seem to be a song that does him justice. Most are about other people and girls in general.

"Just the Way You Are" is one of my fave solos but doesn't really fit a Funeral situation.

Perhaps they could use a new song.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too loved his version of Jessie's Girl, and the ensemble performance of Paradise By The Dashboard Light which he and Lea lead.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too loved his version of Jessie's Girl, and the ensemble performance of Paradise By The Dashboard Light which he and Lea lead.

That 's my favourite. The bit near the end where he sings 'But God only knows what I can do right now' is fantastic. I teared up watching it again on Sky yesterday.
  • EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still can't believe he's gone! :( Glee is generally so happy and upbeat that it seems impossible something so serious could happen to one of the stars in real life.

However, I do think Glee should carry on. The show ISN'T just about them, in my opinion. It will be sad to not have him in it, but didn't Finn just recently go to college? He could easily be written out in that sense. You often hear of teenager's dying in car accidents, from alcohol/drugs or from illnesses which are more prevalent in environments like a college. For example, Puck could be waiting to meet him for lunch or something, see a load of blue flashing lights and then discover he's been hit by a vehicle and didn't make it - or a fire in the dorms. They are just a couple of the many ways he could be written out without actually seeing 'him'.

I think the cast members would be able to manage a 'funeral', but perhaps not Lea - in which case a body double could maybe be used and we never actually see her from the front (we could see her from the back being comforted by her friends). Her character could 'go home' or 'travelling' for a while to try to come to terms with it, and then be reintroduced later in the season if Lea is feeling up to it.

But who knows, maybe she will be ready sooner than expected. 'Normal' people don't get to take much time off work to grieve, and although I'm sure she would be allowed, she may feel that getting back to work is for the best. I don't remember there being that many scenes between the two of them recently, which may mean it's easier to carry on without being reminded constantly.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    EmilyJEG wrote: »
    I still can't believe he's gone! :( Glee is generally so happy and upbeat that it seems impossible something so serious could happen to one of the stars in real life.

However, I do think Glee should carry on. The show ISN'T just about them, in my opinion. It will be sad to not have him in it, but didn't Finn just recently go to college? He could easily be written out in that sense. You often hear of teenager's dying in car accidents, from alcohol/drugs or from illnesses which are more prevalent in environments like a college. For example, Puck could be waiting to meet him for lunch or something, see a load of blue flashing lights and then discover he's been hit by a vehicle and didn't make it - or a fire in the dorms. They are just a couple of the many ways he could be written out without actually seeing 'him'.

I think the cast members would be able to manage a 'funeral', but perhaps not Lea - in which case a body double could maybe be used and we never actually see her from the front (we could see her from the back being comforted by her friends). Her character could 'go home' or 'travelling' for a while to try to come to terms with it, and then be reintroduced later in the season if Lea is feeling up to it.

But who knows, maybe she will be ready sooner than expected. 'Normal' people don't get to take much time off work to grieve, and although I'm sure she would be allowed, she may feel that getting back to work is for the best. I don't remember there being that many scenes between the two of them recently, which may mean it's easier to carry on without being reminded constantly.

The trouble is a sudden death story isn't going to have the same impact now after they did the 'Text and driving' story line with Quinn, or the hanging storyline with Karofsky, and the almost school shooting.
  • EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference is, they were done for the shock factor and to get people glued to the television.

Finn has to have something happen for very different reasons, and I don't think it matters as long as they do it sensitively. Nobody would hold it against them if they didn't get his ending 'dramatic' enough - it's very difficult to do when you haven't got the actor to play the part any more :(

I'm sure they will come up with something, and I really hope Glee continues. I don't think he'd want it to end completely because of the situation; of course I didn't know him, but he's always come across as a really nice person in interviews etc. As someone else pointed out, a lot of people would be unexpectedly out of a job which would be a shame.
  • Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should dedicate the end of season 5 to the death of Finn. The real lesson they should aim to convey over this is that friends die.

As an issue driven show the one thing they haven't tackled is the actual death of a childhood friend. The harsh truth is after school we all go off on our own, and we don't see our friends as much. In real life we don't experience the death of a friend - we are simply told.

As hard as it will be, this is the direction I want the show to go in as I feel that Cory would want something positive to come out of this.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    If Lea stayed on the show I imagine Finn may well be killed off off screen, possibly beginning the series with his funeral.
    This was my thoughts/idea as well, when I heard the news.
    dd68 wrote: »
    Will all due respect , why was a 31 year old man still in High School?
    This was sarcasm, right? :confused: I hope so because surely no-one is actually that stupid.

I will admit that I did not know he was 31, but he was playing the part of a high-school (17/1819? Not sure) student. He wasn't actually a "31 year old man still in High School" :rolleyes:
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,150
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched Glee since series 1 but from what I know of the show Finn/Corey was very much a main character recasting him just would not work and I really think it will lead to Lea Michele quitting if they were indeed engaged and so close to their wedding I doubt she'll be able to get back to work anytime soon as she met and fell in love with him on that set it would be horrible.
    In a way a death would be good but from what I read they are all extremely close it might actually be too raw and hard to watch as it wouldn't be acting and nobody should ever be able to watch peoples grief when they don't really know them
  • Rolling StoneRolling Stone Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Glee is one of the few shows that could use the story and move on. Ryan is talented enough to create a positive story around this tragedy. The big question is whether the cast can carry on.
  • shepster34shepster34 Posts: 1,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wont recast him and I can't see Lea carrying on after this. If the rumours of them getting married in 2 weeks are true, this is going to take her a very long time to get over...i cant see her being able to be on that set being constantly reminded of Cory, so they may have to shoot season 5 without her. To me the whole show was the journey of rachel berry, she was the focal point, i expected the final season to see her making it on broadway and marrying finn. Poor Lea, i really feel for her, after reading all the interviews she has done lately he was obviously her soul mate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    That 's my favourite. The bit near the end where he sings 'But God only knows what I can do right now' is fantastic. I teared up watching it again on Sky yesterday.

Mine too. You weren't on your own with the tearing up :( I couldn't even watch Rachel's solo before it though.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    He wasn't.

You seem to be confusing Cory Monteith, a 31 year old actor (who played truant from over a dozen schools but left his last school at age 16) with Finn Hudson, the High School aged fictional character Cory played in the TV series Glee.

Surely you have encountered actors playing roles of different ages to their real age before? Robert Pattinson isn't really 95 you know.

No confusion on my side at all, my point is that a man in his 30s does not pass as a person of school age.
  • NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    No confusion on my side at all, my point is that a man in his 30s does not pass as a person of school age.

Jason Earles who played Jackson in Hannah Montana, he played an 18-19 year old and he is 36.

Like another poster said, Robert Pattinson isn't really 95!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Re-casting Finn would be little short of disrespectful. The character will be dropped; if Lea Michelle quits as Rachel (which she may considering the situation) they'll write them as going off into the sunset together. If she decides not to leave then I have a feeling they'll treat him as an off screen character, possibly not even mentioning him at all. Everyone knows what has happened.

I agree. I think it would be an insult to his memory if they cancelled the show and I think Lea will return, though I think perhaps she may delay it till mid-season. They will not recast because based on comments I have read, no one would be able to bring what Cory did to the role. I think it was Curt Mega who said it, but he auditioned for Sam and had to read Finn's part but was told not to try and be him as he would not get it the way Cory did.

Personally I would prefer it if he was just an off-screen character so Finchel fans get their happy ending, even if we are unable to see it play out. But to be honest, we will just have to wait and see what happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    shepster34 wrote: »
    They wont recast him and I can't see Lea carrying on after this. If the rumours of them getting married in 2 weeks are true, this is going to take her a very long time to get over...i cant see her being able to be on that set being constantly reminded of Cory, so they may have to shoot season 5 without her. To me the whole show was the journey of rachel berry, she was the focal point, i expected the final season to see her making it on broadway and marrying finn. Poor Lea, i really feel for her, after reading all the interviews she has done lately he was obviously her soul mate.

Think the the wedding was just a rumour as filming was meant to begin in two weeks with Cory being heavily featured in the first two episodes. There would have not been time for a wedding/honeymoon.
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Just been reading on justjared they seem to think production will be delayed for a month and the new series will air in November. I think that's just rumours I expect this series to be delayed a lot longer.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He passed quite well for a 17-year-old actually, which is the age his character was when he started the show aged 27.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    Psychosis wrote: »
    No. They'll just write him a happy ending that doesn't involve being on the show. They can't write him being dead or in trouble or that would be cruel to the cast.

What? No. Finn has to die. He can't just never appear on screen again, or suddenly just leave Rachel. It would be odd.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they should 'deal with' Cory's death directly in a 'real' episode of Glee.

A much better way IMO is a special with the cast and crew sharing memories of Cory and reflecting on the past 4 seasons. Any money made from the songs within such an episode should be donated to a charity of Cory's families choosing. For anyone to profit from Cory's death would be pretty sick.

I would also have perhaps Ryan explain what happened to 'Finn' the character rather than ask the cast to try to depict it, and pick up the first 'proper' episode of Glee with this having already happened.

I honestly think this is the best way for cast and fans alike.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    What? No. Finn has to die. He can't just never appear on screen again, or suddenly just leave Rachel. It would be odd.

I agree.
  • xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they should 'deal with' Cory's death directly in a 'real' episode of Glee.

A much better way IMO is a special with the cast and crew sharing memories of Cory and reflecting on the past 4 seasons. Any money made from the songs within such an episode should be donated to a charity of Cory's families choosing. For anyone to profit from Cory's death would be pretty sick.

I would also have perhaps Ryan explain what happened to 'Finn' the character rather than ask the cast to try to depict it, and pick up the first 'proper' episode of Glee with this having already happened.

I honestly think this is the best way for cast and fans alike.

I do think they have to deal with it. Finns storyline was apparently going to be a big part of the first few episodes of this season and I felt like they were gearing up for a Finchel reunion at the end of last season before Cory went to rehab so I don't think they can just leave it there. The more I think about it, the only option would be for Finn to die. I don't know how I would feel about seeing a funeral played out but it does have to addressed imo. I love the idea of an episode where everyone remembers Cory though, it would probably be very hard to watch though.

It's weird, when I think about how it's going to affect Glee the whole thing doesn't seem real, like I still think I'm going to see Cory as Finn when Glee does eventually come back, whenever that is. :(
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think they will write the death into finns storyline too personally,so they can do a tribute show

id prefer that too writing him off as happily ever after
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Despite knowing Cory's age from the start, I've always found him believable as a high schooler. As Santana once said, he had a very realistic "gassy infant" look.

Besides, that sort of thing happens all the time in television/film - Olivia Newton-John had gone 30 by the time she played Sandy in Grease.