Options

(Dame) Angela Lansbury?

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she's been a British citizen since the early 50s and so that's probably why.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her singing Beauty And The Beast in the Disney film.....
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting an Honorary Oscar on November 16th for 70 years in the biz. (Her first film, Gaslight, came out in May 1944.)

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/oscars-big-names-deserving-recipients-for-the-governors-awards/
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    oh vienna wrote: »
    That's a pretty big spoiler for anyone who might have checked out the movie on the basis of this post. :eek:

Come on, it was made in 1984! There has to be a cut-off point somewhere.
  • Options
    PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    The Company of Wolves is good..Her head falls off the lands in the fire :D
    oh vienna wrote: »
    That's a pretty big spoiler for anyone who might have checked out the movie on the basis of this post. :eek:
    dee123 wrote: »
    Come on, it was made in 1984! There has to be a cut-off point somewhere.

Sounds like it was her neck :o

Sorry I tried to resist :D
  • Options
    PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Getting an Honorary Oscar on November 16th for 70 years in the biz. (Her first film, Gaslight, came out in May 1944.)

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/oscars-big-names-deserving-recipients-for-the-governors-awards/

That's great news, and I hope the OP gets to hear about this :)
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a great, great singer and performer of musical theatre.

But, IMO, she's a terrible actress - always way over-the-top with exagerrated movements and embarassingly bad accents. It is especially noticeable on film.

So the fact that she has won many Tonys, but no Oscars or Emmys is indicative of her talents. Honorary Oscars are usually deemed appropriate for "stars" like her who can't act.

She should've won a Golden Raspberry for her performance as Miss Marple in The Mirror Crack'd - it stinks to high heaven.

I still love her though, and could watch her singing "Bosom Buddies" with Bea Arthur till the cows come home.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

Yesssssss!
    Shame we can't give her something, too.
    Lovely, amazingly talented woman who nobody seems to have a bad word about.
    What a legacy. I hope she keeps well for many more years to come. Really does fit the title 'legend'.
  • Options
    Nia70Nia70 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another fan here, Love Angela Lansbury!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marshy54 wrote: »
    I dont think she can get one now as she turned her back on UK years ago and has been an American citizen for donkeys years - having said that, wasn't Liz Tayor one? But maybe she didn't turn American . . . .

Liz Taylor had dual citizenship
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that TV, Film and Stage still want her in her 87th year says a lot. Apparently she turns down a lot of roles because she has done everything and will not play senile old ladies. Good for her.

As to the poster who says she is terrible. What planet are you on? Have you ever seen the Manchurian Candidate and Sweeny Todd?

She should have won the Oscar for Manchurian Candidate her performance was so chilling.

A trivial fact is that at the age of 43 she did the splits live at the Oscars performing Thoroughly Modern Millie. Its fantastic, its on youtube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Birdsworth wrote: »

So the fact that she has won many Tonys, but no Oscars or Emmys is indicative of her talents. Honorary Oscars are usually deemed appropriate for "stars" like her who can't act..

So James Earl Jones who was awarded an Honorary Oscar in 2011 can't act??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Angela Lansbury. She is one of the few still living celebrities truly worth of the title icon.

Nothing like an episode of Murder, She Wrote to escape into on a dreary afternoon. She's done so much theatre work too. I think she's an amazing woman.
  • Options
    pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just found out on Pointless last night that her grandfather was our Prime Minister in the 1930's, George Lansbury.
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Liz Taylor had dual citizenship

Taylor's parents were both American. They happened to be living in the UK at the time of her birth. She never had to do anything to 'become' American as she always was. The UK does recgonize those born on their soil as UK Citizens, that is why she has dual citizenship. But her family returned to the US when she was six.

This is similar to Nicole Kidman who was born in the US to two Aussie parents and returned to Australia at a very young age.

• Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on Murder She Wrote, but I have seen Angela Lansbury in other things and she is good. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pearlj wrote: »
    I just found out on Pointless last night that her grandfather was our Prime Minister in the 1930's, George Lansbury.

George Lansbury was never PM but he was leader of the Labour party from '32 to 35

Oliver Postgate, co-creator of such childrens TV classics as Ivor the Engine, Noggin the Nog, the Clangers and Bagpuss was a cousin of Angela Lansbury
  • Options
    gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never liked her acting. I am sure she is a lovely human being and very generous and kind but when I see her in that awful Murder She Wrote......I just switch it off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's got a Damehood in the New Years Honours list
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally digging up old posts is odd, but this one makes sense. :)

Congratulations Dame Angela!
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    She's a great, great singer and performer of musical theatre.

But, IMO, she's a terrible actress - always way over-the-top with exagerrated movements and embarassingly bad accents. It is especially noticeable on film.

So the fact that she has won many Tonys, but no Oscars or Emmys is indicative of her talents. Honorary Oscars are usually deemed appropriate for "stars" like her who can't act.

Oh really! so Stars like Barbara Stanwyck, Charlie Chaplin, Garbo, Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, Peter O'Toole, Sophia Loren, Paul Newman, Myrna Loy, Sir Laurence Olivier, Sir Alec Guinness and Henry Fonda can't act!!

Think before you show yourself up by making such idiotic statements. :(
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member

That is wonderful! so well deserved! :)
  • Options
    hetty_rosehetty_rose Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    So pleased for her, I've really grown to love her.
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Angela Lansbury, she's truly magnificent, and this Damehood is well deserved (if well overdue). She's a class act, and the fact she's still working is testament to her talent.

She was a wonderful Eglantine Price :p Still love that movie :D

Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee *sings ad nauseum*
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's awesome!. About time.:D