Only Connect (BBC4)

Comments

• Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about Lady Bird Johnson falsely aspiring to be a member of nobility , she was nicknamed after the small red bug by her nanny, although most sources spell it Lady Bird rather than Ladybird which probably accounts for its inclusion in the question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    What was that thing around the neck of the Robert Smith wannabe ? I saw him on University Challenge with it but couldn't make out what it was.
  • Oicho ThrowOicho Throw Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffle wrote: »
    What was that thing around the neck of the Robert Smith wannabe ? I saw him on University Challenge with it but couldn't make out what it was.

It's a headband that the characters wear in Naruto, which is a cartoon about trainee ninjas. Popular with children, paedophiles and social shut ins the world over.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Dare I suggest that those who want to apply but can't muster a team get together as a DS team?
    And they could call themselves The Digital Spies :)
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Dare I suggest that those who want to apply but can't muster a team get together as a DS team?

Good idea! We'd probably have to audition each other though haha. I'll start growing my hair and not brushing it now!
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree about colours being a bit lenient for the music question, I blurted out colours when I recognised the last song was Pink, but I had no idea of the others

Am I the only one who thought last night's show was harder than average, I barely got anything right. I like maths but I even got the graph question wrong because I thought it was going, x^2, x^3 so I would have described an x^5 graph...
  • milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    Agree about colours being a bit lenient for the music question, I blurted out colours when I recognised the last song was Pink, but I had no idea of the others

Am I the only one who thought last night's show was harder than average, I barely got anything right. I like maths but I even got the graph question wrong because I thought it was going, x^2, x^3 so I would have described an x^5 graph...

It ebbs and flows. I got the graph question wrong too (the same way), but then it's the risk you take going for it after 2. Discerning between x^4 and x^2 given only one of them with no numbers was tricky - it was more about guessing the sequence at that point (which after 2 clues is sometimes all you can do).
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    It's always easier at the start of the series.

I still hate the fact that some questions can't possibly be answered after the first clue.

I got "One glove" from the first clue. Had it have been the second round though, I would have failed by predicting the last answer as Michael Jackson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    What on earth has happened to Victoria? Marriage seems to have softened her completely. Ever since she went double-barrelled she's been letting some teams get away with murder.
    I don't like to get all anal like some on this thread, but the connection was SHADES OF RED, not just "colours", and that hairy lot clearly didn't see it at all.
    Their answers on the wall connections were a bit vague, too.

I can only conclude that David Mitchell must be one helluver lover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Sg9gD05fI

Vid link might be considered NSFW, due to subject matter. No swearing or rudey ladies.
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    I got "One glove" from the first clue. Had it have been the second round though, I would have failed by predicting the last answer as Michael Jackson.

Not sure it could have worked in the 2nd round as it wasn't a sequence, just a group of things in common.
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »

Yeah, you could have a stab at that. It was either a fist or glove related thing.

What irks me is when the first clue is so generic that it isn't remotely possible to get the answer.
  • davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Not sure about Lady Bird Johnson falsely aspiring to be a member of nobility , she was nicknamed after the small red bug by her nanny, although most sources spell it Lady Bird rather than Ladybird which probably accounts for its inclusion in the question.

We we're claiming that they were deliberately taking those names to imply greatness; rather that their everyday names contained a 'misleading' title if you read it at face value.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    What on earth has happened to Victoria? Marriage seems to have softened her completely. Ever since she went double-barrelled she's been letting some teams get away with murder.
    I don't like to get all anal like some on this thread, but the connection was SHADES OF RED, not just "colours", and that hairy lot clearly didn't see it at all.
    Their answers on the wall connections were a bit vague, too.

I can only conclude that David Mitchell must be one helluver lover.
    It is not just since she was married, but maybe getting more frequent.
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »

again, later in the series exact answers are required... she even says this from time to time "Not precise enough for the later rounds" etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidbod wrote: »
    For everyone finding this series too easy so far, we look forward to your application for the next series:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/beonashow/only_connect8

You've got till Friday night...
    I would, but then I read the following on Brian Pendreigh's facebook blog:
    The whole Only Connect experience was great fun and I would recommend any decent quizzers to give it a go. If you are not good enough, you won’t get through the audition, which is actually fun in itself. Getting on the programme is clearly an achievement in itself.
    Personally I found it very enjoyable to be playing with and against such strong quizzers. If Mastermind is like the Premiership, Only Connect is Champions League.
    Take a look at the line-ups for the first semi-final – Draughtsmen v Footballers.
    The Draughtssmen consist of Iwan Thomas, Brain of Britain 2010; Andy Tucker, Mastermind series runner-up 2012; Steve Dodding, Cleverdicks winner 2012.
    Footballers are Jamie Turner, a member of the Carling UK Great British Pub Quiz champions 2012 (along with Only Connect champion Dave Bill); Michael McPartland, who beat Eggheads single-handed after several tie-breaks 2012; Barry Humphrey, Breakaway Champion of Champions 2012.
    Call me defeatist, but I'm only an enthusiastic amateur and wouldn't think it's worthwhile.

Countdown on the other hand have invited me for an audition. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    And they could call themselves The Digital Spies :)
    This was suggested on this thread a couple of years ago. One day it'll happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidbod wrote: »
    We we're claiming that they were deliberately taking those names to imply greatness

Which she clearly wasn't.

The name was given to her in her infancy by a nanny, and when she was married, she called herself Bird, as did her husband.

Until she came into public office, no one called her Lady except her father and family and it certainly wasn't a name she deliberately chose for herself to imply greatness
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a travesty that they won. I was surprised there were so close going into the final round.

I also don't think they should have got a point for News Readers.
  • davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »
    Which she clearly wasn't.

The name was given to her in her infancy by a nanny, and when she was married, she called herself Bird, as did her husband.

Until she came into public office, no one called her Lady except her father and family and it certainly wasn't a name she deliberately chose for herself to imply greatness

Sorry, my post should've read WEREN'T. Should make sense then.

I don't think you can deny them a point for the political editors one. They regularly do other things such as present news documentaries or do other pieces to camera as part of their past and present jobs. Particularly for the heats, it's good enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought it was a travesty that they won. I was surprised there were so close going into the final round.

I also don't think they should have got a point for News Readers.

If you play the website board and type in News readers as your answer, it scores it as incorrect.
  • BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »

You are not suggesting that she and David were enjoying carnal relations before they got married?!

What a shocking thought.
  • piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Come on, admit it: who spotted the lads' mags first?
  • piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Sammy2 wrote: »

That's exactly what I did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    piimapoika wrote: »

I've no idea what you mean.

Alhough it was clear that 36D was a red herring. 40+ was the proper magazine title, but was not there.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    piimapoika wrote: »

I confess!

But I also got the helicopters first too! (The helicopter move is no 73 in the "101 ways to have sex" book)
This discussion has been closed.