Options

Heston's Great British Food - C4 Tuesdays 9pm

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hestons-great-british-food
About the Show

Heston Blumenthal reveals the secret history of some iconic British dishes and then transforms them, as only Heston can
Series 1 Summary

Britain is home to some of the most iconic dishes in world food, from fish and chips, pies and steamed puddings, to roast beef and Yorkshires.
In this series, Heston Blumenthal takes on one great British dish per episode to reveal its secret history and to use as inspiration for an incredible culinary salute.

Comments

• Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder... I shall avoid C4 at 9pm. Cannot stand Heston Blumenthal
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nutty pan-rattler returns.
    Let's see what rubbish he comes up with THIS time !:D
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arentchafugginsickofhim ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a lot of his techniques, but this looks pretty silly!
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That starter looked like one of my battered sausages I have from the chippy now and again..lol
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a lot of his techniques, but this looks pretty silly!

I reakon Massimo from tonights MC has been near Heston considering his weird dishes..lol
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    This is what happens when a talented chef has way too much time on his hands.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hot mushy pea stand.

That has to be my greatest nightmare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He keeps thinking that you get the 'essence' of something by chopping up all the ingredients and eating it. It's stupid. Like when he thinks he'll get the 'essence' of fish and chips by mincing them together. No Heston, mate, that's a fish cake!
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks like my kind of food.

I always like to climb a ladder to have my starter.

Did Heston fall asleep in th sun?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's so hygenic, a bunch of brats taking big bites off the same monster chip.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he would demonstrate how to cook the "perfect" fish and chips, not all that silly gimmicky stuff.
    I use his method for boiled and poached eggs - perfect every time.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he would demonstrate how to cook the "perfect" fish and chips, not all that silly gimmicky stuff.
    There was a brilliant Open University food show that used to be on on a Saturday after the kid's TV, I think it was called something like 'Ever wondered about...' They would do a different dish each week and go into the history of it and the science in how it is made & etc. They did fish & chips one episode and, frankly, did a much better job than Heston firing hardboiled quail's eggs out of the bumhole of a giant fiberglass angler fish.

Edit : The podcast that went along with that episode is here but I can't seem to find any online video of the show itself.

Further edit : seems there's quite a lot of bits of the show on youtube.

Jon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    There was a brilliant Open University food show that used to be on on a Saturday after the kid's TV, I think it was called something like 'Ever wondered about...' They would do a different dish each week and go into the history of it and the science in how it is made & etc. They did fish & chips one episode and, frankly, did a much better job than Heston firing hardboiled quail's eggs out of the bumhole of a giant fiberglass angler fish.

Edit : The podcast that went along with that episode is here but I can't seem to find any online video of the show itself.

Jon

That´s great. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »

Jon
    The first series were hosted by chef & food historian Alan Coxon, aided by Prof. Kathy Sykes. Chef Paul Merritt took over for later series.

The episode on fish & chips when in to the history of the first chippy.
    It's debatable but said that the first chippy was setup in the north west.
    Fish was popular in the south - popularised by Jewish immigrants IIRC.

It wasn't until years later that fish & chips were brought together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, just watched the episode and see that Heston did cover what I posted above.

I think it could be good if he had a more serious documentary about food history but I guess they want his wacky entertainment style shows.

Got to admit some of it looked impressive.
    But then again nipping down to your local chippy would probably also satisfy you just as much :D