BBC have made a mistake not taking back Birds of a Feather!

dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
Forum Member
✭✭
I think the BBC will honestly regret not taking Birds of a Feather back, I know its to early to say yet after one episode but from what I have read and heard it went down well with people so I can see it containing a lot of its 7M+ audience next week. I watched it last night and thought it was funny, I think because we know the characters already it works, if this had been a new comedy then perhaps the reaction may have not been that positive but after the first couple of scenes it felt like it had never been away. I wonder if BOAF will go the same way as Men Behaving Badly which ITV axed after 2 series and it went on to have major success at BBC. I'm sure the BBC will say they aren't bothered and supporters will say BBC should be focusing on new comedy etc but 7M viewers during the week is a great rating,and I bet they must be kicking themselves a little bit when they saw that rating this morning. I highly doubt any comedy on BBC1 is going to achieve that this year (apart from MBB on Xmas day) Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see how the ratings fare over the next couple of episodes.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the BBC only offered them a Christmas special whereas ITV showed a bit more interest and said they could do a full series.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this will go the way of Auf Wiedersehen Pet. There was a reason it was cancelled in the first place and I imagine it will be cancelled again for the same reason.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How they let such a classic piece of TV slip through their hands is beyond me.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    A chav sitcom ends up on the chavs' channel. Why should anyone be upset?
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    I do not normally set much store by newspaper reviews of tv programmes but the Telegraph one today of this programme is scathing to put it mildly
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot judge a decision in hindsight mode.

And it's only one episode that has aired!
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    When you recommission an old liked sitcom, it's always a lottery whether people take to it again.

I can understand BBC not wanting to give it a chance, especially if they were looking at Open All Hours as well.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC get many things wrong, but in this I think they were right.
    Didn't like it first time round.
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    I think this will go the way of Auf Wiedersehen Pet. There was a reason it was cancelled in the first place and I imagine it will be cancelled again for the same reason.
    Auf Wiedersehen Pet was never "cancelled" in the first place - it certainly wasn't ITV's decision to not make any more in its first run.

And when it came back it did really well, and again it was only ended as a result of the cast and production team not wanting to do more.

But with regard to Birds of a Feather, of course no judgement should be made on the back of the ratings for episode 1. Look no further than The Royal Bodyguard for evidence of that. I suspect it will hold up OK though.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC get many things wrong, but in this I think they were right.
    Didn't like it first time round.

Then it won't affect you will it.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    A chav sitcom ends up on the chavs' channel. Why should anyone be upset?

Using this logic the BBC is a 'chav' channel for running BOAF for 9 years!
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like any other organisation the BBC has made some mistakes but not bringing this crap back is not one of them.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    BBC offered them Christmas special to act as a pilot, which is perfectly reasonable as at the time no scripts were written, ITV then saw an opportunity and offered a full series. Both actions are understandable, the BBC can't be seen as relying on the old hits too much so had to be cautious whereas ITV were just needing comedy, any comedy, and were able to take the risk of a full series, it also helps the expectations are lower for them.

I know people like to focus on the negative, but just because this as a good thing for ITV (if the ratings hold up) doesn't necessarily mean it's a disaster for the BBC.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then it won't affect you will it.

You obviously like it.

But, "thanks for thinking of me."
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rammie96 wrote: »
    Auf Wiedersehen Pet was never "cancelled" in the first place - it certainly wasn't ITV's decision to not make any more in its first run.

And when it came back it did really well, and again it was only ended as a result of the cast and production team not wanting to do more.

But with regard to Birds of a Feather, of course no judgement should be made on the back of the ratings for episode 1. Look no further than The Royal Bodyguard for evidence of that. I suspect it will hold up OK though.

I was talking about the reason BOAF was cancelled.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Using this logic the BBC is a 'chav' channel for running BOAF for 9 years!

No, using this logic one show was on the wrong channel. It happens sometimes. And you don't understand logic.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, using this logic one show was on the wrong channel. It happens sometimes. And you don't understand logic.

It did alright on "the wrong channel" for years then.
  • HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you a troll or do you just not realise how condescending you are?

Also to label a mainstream terrestrial British TV channel as a "chav" channel is hugely stuck up and outright ridiculous.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Helicase wrote: »
    Are you a troll or do you just not realise how condescending you are?

Also to label a mainstream terrestrial British TV channel as a "chav" channel is hugely stuck up and outright ridiculous.

When I was younger, Southern was always seen as anarchic, while the BBC was seen as wholesome.

These days, it doesn't matter.

I enjoyed the first episode. The format has shifted to the 21st century. Rab C Nesbitt had too.
  • WhatadayWhataday Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    rammie96 wrote: »

Birds of a Feather wasn't cancelled either. The ratings were impressive throughout and it was the cast/production that chose to call it a day, with the BBC respecting that decision as it had lasted a highly respectable 10 years.

I think it's a brilliant decision by ITV to take it on. It really suits the channel and it's great to see they've shown commitment by giving it a great slot and a reasonably long 8 part run.

There's a quote from Peter Fincham, "I can't think of a better programme to follow Coronation Street" and I completely agree. Irrelevant of your opinion on Birds' content, it is a perfect match, especially for pulling EastEnders viewers across to ITV from BBC 1 on a Thursday night.

And as a sitcom, it's a far better story for Birds of a Feather if it does quite well on ITV than if it had done quite well on the BBC.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They occasionally get it wrong, they turned down Rising Damp [ too working class ] but the BBC did pick up Men Behaving Badly when ITV ditched it.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    I was talking about the reason BOAF was cancelled.

I don't think it was ever officially cancelled just on long hiatus
  • HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whataday wrote: »
    Birds of a Feather wasn't cancelled either. The ratings were impressive throughout and it was the cast/production that chose to call it a day, with the BBC respecting that decision as it had lasted a highly respectable 10 years.

I think it's a brilliant decision by ITV to take it on. It really suits the channel and it's great to see they've shown commitment by giving it a great slot and a reasonably long 8 part run.

There's a quote from Peter Fincham, "I can't think of a better programme to follow Coronation Street" and I completely agree. Irrelevant of your opinion on Birds' content, it is a perfect match, especially for pulling EastEnders viewers across to ITV from BBC 1 on a Thursday night.

And as a sitcom, it's a far better story for Birds of a Feather if it does quite well on ITV than if it had done quite well on the BBC.

Peter Fincham needs an education on the ITV schedules as Coronation Street does not broadcast on a Thursday night.
  • WhatadayWhataday Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Helicase wrote: »
    Peter Fincham needs an education on the ITV schedules as Coronation Street does not broadcast on a Thursday night.

The quote is from the meeting when the show was recommissioned. He was very obviously just using an example of a programme that is 'very ITV'. In fact it ended up going out after Emmerdale.