The 'prayer and worship' thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    I think some of the atheists practically cream running to a thread to shout their usual rhetoric & abuse, something you don't tend to see as much from the religious who may just need (as others have said) an appreciation thread to save themselves having to constantly deal with that kind of person.

I completely agree. I tend to stay away from religious threads on DS for that very reason- just a mere hint of religion in a thread sends them all in, gleefully delighting in mocking all those deluded people who believe in "fairy tales", "sky fairies", "myths" and "fantasies".
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a matter of perception.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd make this thread for prayer of all beliefs and faiths but also for general chat about any bible matters or anything anyone (believers or non belivers) think it's appropriate to pray for.

I was thinking a second ago that I'm not quite sure what to pray for tonight apart frrom the health of my family and friends and all of a sudden I had the urge to come on here, start a thread and see what my fellow believers, believers of a different faith or even non believers think need praying for today.

Whether it's a personal issue or a topical, world wide issue.

I would ask that people only post on here with genuine replies though thanks :)

Hi all. Just a reminder that the bit in bold was the intention for this thread. All the debate is fine and dandy, but no-one's thrown out any ideas for prayer....

I'm praying today for the families of those beheaded by the Taliban at the forbidden party, that the families find some comfort from those around them and in any faith they may have. I am also praying the same for the families of those that drowned in the canoeing accident in Scotland.

If you feel like praying, my dear old ma is looking to sell her house so she can come and live near us after a dreadful year of family tragedy. Would you please pray for a swift sale and a reasonable price? I am praying thanks for a great week of house hunting. :)
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    :D The old ones are the best. :D

(I thought of you when I read that post).

For the uninitiated SULLA used to claim to hide copies of The God Delusion in book shops. I think he made it up though.

I try to take people's posts at face value. He definitely did it :D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I see this thread has been open for only 12 hours, and has attracted over 100 posts. That's nice. I wonder if any of them would care to give an opinion on whether myra hindley, if she truly repented, is in heaven? Of course, anyone who thinks her repentance wasn't genuine is making a judgement which isn't theirs to make, so maybe they'd kindly not post that view.

Myra Hindley, like everyone else who has died, is dead.

I hope that she trully repented.
    batgirl wrote: »
    So what?
    You need to understand about praying.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Myra Hindley, like everyone else who has died, is dead.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

You need to understand about praying.

What do I need to understand about praying?
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd make this thread for prayer of all beliefs and faiths but also for general chat about any bible matters or anything anyone (believers or non belivers) think it's appropriate to pray for.

I was thinking a second ago that I'm not quite sure what to pray for tonight apart frrom the health of my family and friends and all of a sudden I had the urge to come on here, start a thread and see what my fellow believers, believers of a different faith or even non believers think need praying for today.

Whether it's a personal issue or a topical, world wide issue.

I would ask that people only post on here with genuine replies though thanks :)

Sadly you asked too much from many DS posters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do I need to understand about praying?

How to do it
    How it works
    Why it works
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I class myself as more spiritual than religious, I do pray to a God but wether that is a he/she or an it I have no idea, I just look at it as a higher power. Sometimes I pray for myself but more often for others, my family, my boyfriend and friends. When I was younger I used to trade with God "I promise if you help me to complete this level I'll go to church on Sunday" than I'd complete the level and completely forget what I had promised. I've prayed when I'm happy, when I'm sad, prayed for forgiveness and asked why God through many tears. I can't honestly say I believe that anything changes and that my prayers are answered but just being able to do that helps much the same way as unloading to a friend or your partner after a hard day does help to make it just that little bit more bearable.
    Forum Member
    How to do it
    How it works
    Why it works

It hasn't been shown to work. That needs to happen first, before the how and why.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's lot's of people who pray who don't necessarily believe in it - they'd like to I guess.

But I was thinking about this yesterday, oddly enough.

If you don't think wishing someone well has any effect, why would you do it? If hoping for something is an empty thing that has no effect on anything, then it's a waste of brain time isn't it?

If I'm sick and someone says 'I hope you get well soon' or suchlike then it's nice to know they're thinking of me I guess. It's not going to make my tonsilitis or whatever disappear any quicker but it might brighten up my otherwise miserable day a bit .

That's why I'd say it anyway - to show I care and am thinking about someone not because I think I can wish them better.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Has much praying and worshipping been done here yet?

Kum ba yah my lord, kum ba yah.... What, I'm having a moment here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It hasn't been shown to work. That needs to happen first, before the how and why.

If I thank God for his blessings, what can go wrong?

I recommend that you study Matthew chapter 6
    Forum Member

He might think "suck up" :D
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »

Was this really necessary?
    Forum Member
    Was this really necessary?

Well it's what the thread is for apparently.
  • smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member

That's the point of the thread but some worshippers are defensive, They just don't seem to be getting into the spirit right now.
    perhaps they could join your joyful song :)
    Forum Member

I recommend that you study Matthew chapter 6

Just because we can't test for how god, if he exists at all, feels about your prayers it doesn't mean it's impossible to test for the effect, if there is any, of prayer in other circumstances. Or are you trying to argue that the *thanks god* prayer variety is the only one that people engage in?
    Forum Member
    That's the point of the thread but some worshippers are defensive, They just don't seem to be getting into the spirit right now.

Can we grow beards too? Please tell me there will be beards! :D
  • Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    What i've always found strange is how the some of atheists *on this board* seem to have some kind of superiority complex with absolutely nothing to back it up, it's as if they think their own opinion is so mind blowingly important that we must all stop and take notice of it right now as they save us from our sky fairies. It's almost like reverse missonaries and I find it hilarious. Particularly when you have scientists, doctors, lawyers, teachers, entrepreneurs & heads of multi billion dollar companies who are all clearly beneath the atheist who is infact unemployed sat on his ass at home typing on the internet from his mothers basement or his bedsit paid for by housing benefit..while they are making inroads into science, medicine and daily life whilst being religious.

*disclaimer Im only talking about the kind of atheists on this forum who repeatedly make posts about sky fairies and the "weak" people who follow them.

Why can't they just let people pray without justification and harresment.

ps: edited..

Can I ask you why you see fit to sneer at those who are out of work or can't afford absurdly expensive housing?
    Forum Member
    Well it's what the thread is for apparently.
    Can we grow beards too? Please tell me there will be beards! :D

Really? I can't see anywhere in the OP that asked for mocking.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Can I ask you why you see fit to sneer at those who are out of work or can't afford absurdly expensive housing?

I was sneering at the rude arrogant people who insult everyone who is religious. I myself am unemployed and in no position to "sneer" at people who are out of work, its the attitude they give the educated, intelligent, doing something for the word people (im talking world famous scientists, etc) from their "religious people are unintelligent/believe in sky faries" crap and THEY deserve sneering at if they are doing that while sat at home doing sod all.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member

edited.. cant be bothered, nothing rude to yourself.
    Forum Member

Tough crowd tonioght...