Expensive/Luxury Purchases.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I bought two brake calipers for £525 :S more necessity than luxury though.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . The majority of them though just look like tiny metallic lumps. You'll be amazed what you can find on ebay and what people will post!!

I've got them all stored in glass phials, with some of them needing to be stored within special oils to stop them reacting. I can source depleted uranium but my OH isn't so keen on that being in the front room much to my chargrin. :

If GCHQ are monitoring...we don't know her...we don't know this person.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    If GCHQ are monitoring...we don't know her...we don't know this person.

lol....u often find sellers at airshows selling old tank rounds without realising they contain depleted uranium!! Now if only i could find the pure stuff ;-)

I'm sure GCHQ have your internet habits well noted by now..........I can't believe you kiss your mother with the same mouth ;)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome tune....2012 remix or the original??

Thr remix as used at the Olympics. My wife entered the website competition to win the right to buy one, and won. Courier threw it over the back gate of course, but luckily well packaged and undamaged.

I don't know her, I'm not with her. I don't know anything about the missing Strontium 90
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could spend a fortune in hotel chocolat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have some old polonium-210 lying around I don't know what to do with if you want to buy it for a fiver. :p
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an astrophysics student and just got a love of the sciences I suppose. I was going through some chemistry stuff a few months ago and thought I have no idea what half the stuff I'm writing about looks like in the flesh, so it kinda stemmed from there. Elements like Bismuth look incredible in their natural state and there's a few nice surprise. The majority of them though just look like tiny metallic lumps. You'll be amazed what you can find on ebay and what people will post!!

I've got them all stored in glass phials, with some of them needing to be stored within special oils to stop them reacting. I can source depleted uranium but my OH isn't so keen on that being in the front room much to my chargrin. I'm going to get my OH's dad to knock me up a wooden display case in the shape of the periodic table with little pullout draws for each element.

This a good example of what it'll look like:

http://www.element-collection.com/index2.htm

I think that's brilliant. Bravo.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have some old polonium-210 lying around I don't know what to do with if you want to buy it for a fiver. :p

To say nowt of the sulphurous cloud that follows you about :)
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been slowly amassing a collection of the chemical elements, of the 118 I've sourced 82, the rest are too dangerous (ie radioactive) or unobtainable (ie trace elements created in a lab). The last sample i bought was Lutetium (Atomic Number - 71) which cost me £40 for 4g. I've probably spent the better part of £700 so far sourcing it all.

Also recently bought a rare type of meteorite which set my back £90 for a small pebble sized lump.

Out of everything mentioned so far, this is my favourite one!
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Elissa's collection sounds pretty cool.

I'm with the OH on the depleted uranium though.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been slowly amassing a collection of the chemical elements, of the 118 I've sourced 82, the rest are too dangerous (ie radioactive) or unobtainable (ie trace elements created in a lab). The last sample i bought was Lutetium (Atomic Number - 71) which cost me £40 for 4g. I've probably spent the better part of £700 so far sourcing it all.

Also recently bought a rare type of meteorite which set my back £90 for a small pebble sized lump.

Out of interest, how have you verified that the samples you have are in fact pure forms of the elements in question or not just some random 'stuff', especially the elements which are presumably in a gaseous form? If I recall my GCSE chemistry it's pretty difficult to confirm you have any of the noble gases for instance.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    £75 for a ridiculously small but absolutely gorgeous smelling bottle of perfume.

It was a treat to myself after 30 hours of overtime one weekend last month.

What perfume was it if you don't mind me asking?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Out of interest, how have you verified that the samples you have are in fact pure forms of the elements in question or not just some random 'stuff', especially the elements which are presumably in a gaseous form? If I recall my GCSE chemistry it's pretty difficult to confirm you have any of the noble gases for instance.

Out of interest or trying a bit of upsmanship ;)

Anyway.... the samples I buy are from reputable dealers, I don't just buy off any old random. For things like silver, gold, copper, palladium etc it's easy enough to get off ebay and that is suffice. But for small quantites of the more rarer elements I get them direct from various universites. There's some element of trust with elements sent in gaseous form, but I do make a point of buying them direct from university chemical labs, they wouldn't be able to trade if they were found out selling duff stuff. Out of curiosity I've tested a few via spectral analysis but I haven't done that for all of them. I got my sulphur samples myself from volcanic vents in Iceland. It does help being part of the academic world as it's not hard to pick up the phone and get someone to put something aside for you. A lot of the samples I get from uni's come with a data sheet detailing out their purity (ie most are 99.9% pure, some maybe 98% for instance) from spectroscopic analysis. I trust who I buy from, it ain't like a car boot sale.

For stuff like rare meteorites it's easy to deduce yourself with a bit of geology knowledge and a decent microscope, the construction and arrangement of the mineral crystals are unlike anything on Earth for instance. Working with meteorite samples at uni you soon get clued up in what's terrestrial and what's not.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an astrophysics student and just got a love of the sciences I suppose. I was going through some chemistry stuff a few months ago and thought I have no idea what half the stuff I'm writing about looks like in the flesh, so it kinda stemmed from there. Elements like Bismuth look incredible in their natural state and there's a few nice surprise. The majority of them though just look like tiny metallic lumps. You'll be amazed what you can find on ebay and what people will post!!

I've got them all stored in glass phials, with some of them needing to be stored within special oils to stop them reacting. I can source depleted uranium but my OH isn't so keen on that being in the front room much to my chargrin. I'm going to get my OH's dad to knock me up a wooden display case in the shape of the periodic table with little pullout draws for each element.

This a good example of what it'll look like:

http://www.element-collection.com/index2.htm

This post could only be topped if your favourite shampoo was Vosene or whatever Poundland's got in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    This post could only be topped if your favourite shampoo was Vosene or whatever Poundland's got in.

Aussie shampoo all the way for me thanks! Smells lush :o
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What perfume was it if you don't mind me asking?

I'm guessing it might be one of Tom Ford's perfumes.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »

What's he got to do with it? Oh, you mean Vosene.:o Must have misread it.

I was feeling flush (and a bit pissed) one evening in the Hotel du Vin in Winchester about 5 years ago and spent £52 on a single Armagnac. It was made in 1918 though. Imagine that, drinking a spirit that was being made while the First World War was raging.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it might be one of Tom Ford's perfumes.

If it was TF's Private Blend it would have been more than £60.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I spend £68.95 on my shampoo and conditioner. What expensive purchases do you make?

Blimey how can such things be so expensive!

I don't have any extravagant tastes at all. The most I spend is on equipment for my garage gym. Even then I will only buy new as a last resort if I can't make it or buy second-hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to add in addition to buying from uni's/chemical suppliers, there's also been a couple educational suppliers for school chemistry labs I've bought from. Anyway, enough from me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to add in addition to buying from uni's/chemical suppliers, there's also been a couple educational suppliers for school chemistry labs I've bought from. Anyway, enough from me.

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating collection and the story behind it. By far the most interesting thing anyone will read on here today. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck with sourcing some unobtainium.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

Lol very funny
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

Hee hee nice, I think I'll have more luck catching dark matter with one of those fishing nets you used as a kid in the local stream. I would be great if they did discover another element and named it unobtainium as a p***take ;)
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Jamaican Coffee.......mmm it's expensive, I don't buy it all the time for that reason, but it's the best!