Kissing

ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I want to ask your opinions on kissing - specifically 'French kissing' I suppose, where tongues are involved! :o

Does anyone here never French kiss with their partner? Is it common to avoid it completely? Is it common to dislike it?

I'm asking because the guy I'm seeing at the moment (and have been for about a month) never does anything but kiss me on the lips normally. So just continual pecks. Even in more sensual/sexual situations, he just kisses me on the lips. Never even a hint of tongue or any opening of the mouth. Whilst this is perfectly normal behaviour in most situations (I wouldn't be ramming my tongue down his throat on the street), I have to admit that I enjoy it as part of a more passionate or sexual moment. I've never met anyone who doesn't like/engage with it in a sexual setting. I've had sex quite a bit with this guy and I've tried initiating it but he doesn't really respond - just keeps his lips closed. All other aspects of sex/foreplay are quite usual.

I can assure you I don't have bad oral hygiene or anything! I just wonder whether I'm weird for assuming it's the norm :o:confused: I love kissing him in the 'normal' way still but I really miss the passionate kisses I've always enjoyed with previous partners.

Comments

• sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just a suggestion but is there any build up to the kissing? There is nothing worse than a sudden french kiss:confused:Maybe ask him to build up the kiss:D Gradually nearer to the mouth. It's just a suggestion.:D
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we do a lot of kissing and he seems to enjoy it but it never develops in to anything from than the 'peck on the lips' type of kiss. I wouldn't just ram my tongue in (and haven't!) but I have tried to develop it so to speak... but his lips remain closed. So nothing changes even if we're kissing for ages. To me it feels odd to be continuously just pecking on the lips. I'm not sure how I can try further as I'd have to wrench his lips apart! I've tried initiating it gently but nothing.

I was going to ask him about it possibly but wanted to check first in case I had been under the wrong impression as to how usual it was. I'm not really sure how I would ask, I guess it would be an observational type thing.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is he? Has he had much experience before he met you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ratty0 wrote: »
    Well we do a lot of kissing and he seems to enjoy it but it never develops in to anything from than the 'peck on the lips' type of kiss. I wouldn't just ram my tongue in (and haven't!) but I have tried to develop it so to speak... but his lips remain closed. So nothing changes even if we're kissing for ages. I'm not sure how I can try further as I'd have to wrench his lips apart! I've tried initiating it gently but nothing.

I was going to ask him about it possibly but wanted to check first in case I had been under the wrong impression as to how usual it was. I'm not really sure how I would ask, I guess it would be an observational type thing.
    You might need to have a chat and ask if there is something that is worrying him but it might just be that he doesn't like to kiss like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's 28 and he's had quite a normal relationship history I think - a couple of serious girlfriends and quite a few more casual things. He's in relationship mode with me (as in he has asked if we can officially be girlfriend/boyfriend) so I would have thought he's behaving 'normally' in his kissing routine!

So I take it from those who have replied so far that it is pretty usual to engage in some level of tongue-type kissing in more passionate moments? If so how do you think I should ask him about this (if I should)? I feel a bit idiotic bringing it up as if it's a huge issue! But I do miss it in the throes of passion.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you instigate it? No talking required, just start using your tongue during your next passionate session. If things aren't reciprocated then, that might be the time to talk...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried instigating it. But he doesn't open his mouth/lips so when I have tried I can't actually get very far at all without it becoming painfully embarrassing or turning in to me just licking his face! It's as if he just never opens his lips so you can't get in there in any way! A locked door. I have also tried being very open with my own mouth in case he feels he needs some kind of invite (!) but that makes no difference.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never met a guy who wasn't into that. No way could he be 28 with a few relationships under his belt and never had a proper passionate kiss. It all sounds a bit odd. If it were me I would just straight up ask him what the deal is.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ratty0 wrote: »
    I have tried instigating it. But he doesn't open his mouth/lips so when I have tried I can't actually get very far at all without it becoming painfully embarrassing or turning in to me just licking his face! It's as if he just never opens his lips so you can't get in there in any way! A locked door. I have also tried being very open with my own mouth in case he feels he needs some kind of invite (!) but that makes no difference.

lolz...I love the idea of you licking his face :D

[Not that it's a bad thing!]

Emmm.....well you're obviously intimate. Maybe take it slow, but hold his jaw and kiss the bastard. Don't be all frothy and lively - maybe he's had a bad experience - but be firm. If it's slow it gives him a chance to go, "Wooah".....and then go, "Hmmm...you know what...I kinda like this.."

Firm but draw him into you. If that doesn't work he probably has Oral Ebola as is just being polite :)
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've encountered it once with someone who was very inexperienced but all guys who have experience seem to enjoy french kissing!

Maybe just say, "shall we use tongues?" in the middle of a kiss and see his reaction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was this a serious topic or was it just for laughs?:confused:
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    I can't stand it personally. And it is perfectly possible to kiss passionately without tongues.
    Just ask him if it's something he dislikes. If it is then I don't think you'll get him to change his mind and trying to get him to do so could lead to the eventual demise of the relationship.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband doesn't. Must admit came as a surprise when we first started going out 12 years ago, as I thought this was just the done thing. 9 years or marriage and one child later though, and TBH it's not effected our relationship in any way ... There's lots of ways to show passion :-)
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see how you could be intimate doing this.
    For me kissing is a way of showing my feelings.
    I peck for light kisses, then when things progress it becomes a full on snog.
    Ok I have not had that many men, but every man I have kissed has been like this. Never kissed a female so can't use that.
    I used tongues with my ex husband, but my soon to be husband and I don't use tongues - it just feel wrong.
    I think you need to ask him, maybe he has a phobia of it and is too embarrassed. It could be why he is still single at 28, his exes may have used it as a breaking up thing.
    I couldn't be with someone and not be able to kiss them properly, how can you show them your feelings? A kiss is hard to a good way of showing a person how you feel towards them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    was this a serious topic or was it just for laughs?:confused:

Well as stupid as I feel for asking about it, I'm afraid it is a serious question. If I was going to make something up I'd make it far more hilarious.
    I can't stand it personally. And it is perfectly possible to kiss passionately without tongues.
    Just ask him if it's something he dislikes. If it is then I don't think you'll get him to change his mind and trying to get him to do so could lead to the eventual demise of the relationship.
    My husband doesn't. Must admit came as a surprise when we first started going out 12 years ago, as I thought this was just the done thing. 9 years or marriage and one child later though, and TBH it's not effected our relationship in any way ... There's lots of ways to show passion :-)

So there are at least two people who don't. Did you ask your husband about it, horwichallstars? Presumably he just said he doesn't enjoy it?

I wouldn't end a relationship over it, after all people have all sorts of things they like or dislike... but as I've said several times now, I do miss it and I think/thought it was quite a common thing... whereas some things people dislike (for example some kind of fetish) are unusual to 'expect' so easier to do without, so to speak.
    phepia wrote: »
    I can't see how you could be intimate doing this.
    For me kissing is a way of showing my feelings.
    I peck for light kisses, then when things progress it becomes a full on snog.
    Ok I have not had that many men, but every man I have kissed has been like this. Never kissed a female so can't use that.
    I used tongues with my ex husband, but my soon to be husband and I don't use tongues - it just feel wrong.
    I think you need to ask him, maybe he has a phobia of it and is too embarrassed. It could be why he is still single at 28, his exes may have used it as a breaking up thing.
    I couldn't be with someone and not be able to kiss them properly, how can you show them your feelings? A kiss is hard to a good way of showing a person how you feel towards them.

I'm confused about your post. You say you can't be intimate without a full on snog, but then that you don't use tongues with your soon-to-be husband. I feel really stupid asking this, but what does a full on snog consist of without any use of the tongue at all? :o

We do kiss, as I've said, but it's just puckering up and kissing continuously as if you would but without opening your mouth at all (apart from a little bit when each kiss ends - I've just actually been kissing my hand to work out how the lips move - the technicalities of kissing have never really entered my head before!). Does that make sense? Would you class that as snogging? He does enjoy it, and he's very affectionate in other ways. Out of all the guys I've been with sexually (8 or 9) they've all kissed me using tongues at some point, usually leading up to sex or at a passionate moment or something.

Well I'm still single at the same age and it's not because of my technique in the bedroom, so I don't think he's single because of it at all, he's a lovely guy.

Also thanks Shappy, I haven't been able to quote you for some reason (stupid technology).

I just feel a bit stupid asking him about it - perhaps if I do it whilst we are being affectionate it might be easier (definitely not over dinner :D).
  • hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, could he be a bit paranoid about his own oral hygiene?

I don't see the problem talking about it over dinner! Just be frank. I wouldn't ask whilst in the act!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Is he a dentist? It's all a bit odd.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    phepia wrote: »
    maybe he has a phobia of it and is too embarrassed.
    hanndav wrote: »

Both of thoughts crossed my mind.

It could be lots of things, couldn't it?

- he simply might not like/enjoy it
    - he might be worried about his own bad breath or similar
    - he might have a general hygiene 'issue' and just not fancy sharing saliva

I wondered if he had similar reservations about other issues of hygiene or.... erm... using his tongue elsewhere :o

Would he drink from the same glass as you? Is he an obsessive cleaner? Etc etc

But ultimately you'll never know unless you ask him!
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm available if you like :D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanndav wrote: »

I don't see the problem talking about it over dinner! Just be frank. I wouldn't ask whilst in the act!

This is what I was thinking.

Or it could be he doesn't like it?

The only way you'll know for sure is if you talk about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments.

He's not weird about hygiene or cleaning or anything like that. And I don't think he's paranoid about having bad breath - I am paranoid about this myself but I can tell he's not bothered (e.g. he has forgotten his toothbrush twice when staying over at mine and it didn't bother him one iota, and he isn't bothered about morning breath - obviously we don't 'snog' as I know it but he's not shy about rolling on to me at 8am and breathing all over me etc!).

So I think it's likely that he just doesn't like it, as a couple of other posters here have said they don't. But yes, I'll have to speak to him - perhaps when I see him tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH is my first serious partner but I met a guy who literally just offloaded a mouthful of saliva. I couldn't let OH's tongue near for 6 months! And even 3.5 years later, it only becomes appealing during sex, otherwise I can't stand it... maybe a similar situation?
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I have met three guys over 20 odd years of relationships / dating / kisses that don't French kiss and just do the kiss on the lips things, never really affected the relationship
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Before you lean in for the kiss caress a cheek. Then gently trace a finger along his lower lip moving it down slightly. Lean in for a kiss but before your lips touch breathe in through your mouth gently. You (should) quite literally take his breath away and hopefully lead to more passionate kissing.

I miss a good snog.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i'm not that keen on tongues but once you're in the full throes of a passionate kiss it's impossible to stop any tongue action so i'm wondering if he's properly relaxed as you'd have to be consciously keeping your tongue under control to stop the frenchie