Options

Speed With Guy Martin!

MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone watching Speed With Guy Martin on Channel 4! I know Guy through his BSB and TT racing and he's absolutely bonkers and a speedfreak!!

Comments

• Options
    inky winkyinky winky Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I love Guy and his enthusiasm and am watching too. Enjoying it very much :)
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    I'm watching and yes a total nutter :D And soooooooooooo sexy :blush:
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    This is quite good for Channel 4 these days, getting the engineering in there, so it's not just the headline 'act'.
    Bring back Equinox Channel 4, it's missed.

As I said on another thread, geezers got knackers made of iron, alternatively he's not quite 'righted'
    Then again, I c0ck about with Cranes for a living and I seen them fail, but I'm still working with them.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed that even tho my heart was in my mouth :o

I think there is 3 more to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Guy Martin and Laura Trott on the same programme , awesome
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Program linky.
    That was a good craic, tempted to see what's coming up and whether he gets the records, but that would ruin the program.

That must have been like one long tank slapper to have Guy Martin shaking at the end of the run.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    That won't have been official, though, will it?

As they used GPS to asses his speed.

I can't imagine it would be allowed to stand, officially.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must have been so awful for Guy with so much sand inside his helmet and not able to see properly! Shame there isn't a new, unopened stretch of motorway they could have used rather than the unstable sandy beach!

I loved Guy's previous TV series and I'm looking forward to the other three challenges coming up.:)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I hear correctly - guy's top speed is usually 25mph, but with the wind cover he managed 30mph?

I seem to recall some idiot in a thread about cyclists claiming he rode at a 40mph average. :o
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Did I hear correctly - guy's top speed is usually 25mph, but with the wind cover he managed 30mph?

I seem to recall some idiot in a thread about cyclists claiming he rode at a 40mph average. :o

40mph is easily possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That won't have been official, though, will it?

As they used GPS to asses his speed.

I can't imagine it would be allowed to stand, officially.

Well, I'd suggest we, as an audience don't look hard at the records or official timings part of this.
    Probably best to treat it a bit like James May's Toy stories a fun engineering exercise, but with very big dangerous toys.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an excellent program. Will be watching the rest of the series.
    I saw him in a series a while ago when he was doing up a narrow boat. That was good as well.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone watching Speed With Guy Martin on Channel 4! I know Guy through his BSB and TT racing and he's absolutely bonkers and a speedfreak!!
    Agree with that! I don't follow motorbike racing (just like looking at 'em!) but was surprised to find regards the TT racer boys, he's up there 'at the top'......yet goes back to his day job as an HGV mechanic! I also like the fact you never see him without dirty fingernails and ingrained greasy hands! Shows he's a grafter so i had a gut feeling he would achieve this crazy bike record.

The guy who built the bike for him is the son of Brian Rourke who runs a bike shop in Burslem, not far from where i live. When i was in my teens i was a cycling fanatic and Brian used to race at a track in Newcastle-under-Lyme. His only real competitor was Les West (Google the name). Nobody else could match him or 'Westy'.

Not only is Guy Martin slightly bonkers......so was that damn truck! :o
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

When he was interviewed on BBC Breakfast he said he has gone as fast as 100mph on a bike.
    My son also knows him through TT and says he is really bonkers but a nice guy.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40mph is easily possible.

As a top speed over a very short distance, yes (a top sprinter like Cavendish will occasionally touch 50 mph in a finish), but as an average speed over any distance greater than a few hundred metres, unless in an indoor velodrome or descending a mountain, nowhere near. Most pro stages average out at around 25 mph. My club's sunday rides elite group average around 21 mph. I can maintain around 16 mph over 60 miles if it's not too hilly.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Agree with that! I don't follow motorbike racing (just like looking at 'em!) but was surprised to find regards the TT racer boys, he's up there 'at the top'......yet goes back to his day job as an HGV mechanic! I also like the fact you never see him without dirty fingernails and ingrained greasy hands! Shows he's a grafter so i had a gut feeling he would achieve this crazy bike record.

The guy who built the bike for him is the son of Brian Rourke who runs a bike shop in Burslem, not far from where i live. When i was in my teens i was a cycling fanatic and Brian used to race at a track in Newcastle-under-Lyme. His only real competitor was Les West (Google the name). Nobody else could match him or 'Westy'.

Not only is Guy Martin slightly bonkers......so was that damn truck! :o

I'd urge you to see Closer to the Edge, you don't need to be a TT or motorbike fan to appreciate its qualities as a documentary file, it centres on Guy but features many of the front line TT racers ( well worth watching in 3D if get the chance too)
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed this, will catch it on iplayer. I loved Guy's narrowboat programme.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Those sideburns have to go.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Well, I'd suggest we, as an audience don't look hard at the records or official timings part of this.
    Probably best to treat it a bit like James May's Toy stories a fun engineering exercise, but with very big dangerous toys.

I agree, and I enjoyed the show.

Reminded me of the 1979 World Land Speed Record attempt by the Budwieser Rocket Car. They claimed to have broken the sound barrier with only radar "evidence".

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode on Bala Lake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, and I enjoyed the show.

Reminded me of the 1979 World Land Speed Record attempt by the Budwieser Rocket Car. They claimed to have broken the sound barrier with only radar "evidence".

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode on Bala Lake.

I'd have thought the Racelogic kit on the Truck would be pretty accurate, as they probably use it for all sorts of data logging.

Oh it gets 'worse' if you research it, there's a bit of hyperbole going on here.
    Best not to research it, I say, just fillet out a lot of the entertainment value for yourself.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    testcard wrote: »
    Because they make Bradley Wiggin's look wussy? :p
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "That was maybe your arse carrying me along" he doesn't mince his words does he?
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    testcard wrote: »

Yes, he looks a throw back to the '70's
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    The 1870's.
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    As a top speed over a very short distance, yes (a top sprinter like Cavendish will occasionally touch 50 mph in a finish), but as an average speed over any distance greater than a few hundred metres, unless in an indoor velodrome or descending a mountain, nowhere near. Most pro stages average out at around 25 mph. My club's sunday rides elite group average around 21 mph. I can maintain around 16 mph over 60 miles if it's not too hilly.

Exactly this. I cycle with a road club and on the flat we always tend to go past a board that flashes your speed at you, that's always between 20-25mph, 30 on a good day.