Cineworld allocated seating

Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
Forum Member
✭✭
So according to the Cineworld website allocated seating is now here.

Has anyone had any experience of this yet? Do they actually enforce it?

As I can just see me picking some good seats, to walk in during the trailers and find someone in them. When approached they will just tell us to sit elsewhere if the screen is quiet.

Edit - Saying that I've just tried to book tickets online for Glasgow Refrew Street (i.e. the busiest cinema in the UK I think) and it just said General Admission still.

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah I didn't think they had introduced it yet even though I believe its a stupid idea as things work fine with the seating at Cineworld at the moment!

I agree as I can just see it causing more problems and they will try to enforce it for a few weeks before they give up on it!
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems it doesn't start in that cinema till Friday.

I really do hope because they're making a big deal out of it they will enforce it long enough to make people actually sit in the seats they picked.

I have an area of seats at the front I like to sit in (normally so I can dive out to the toilet quickly) so we normally turn up early to get them. I do hope they enforce this so we don't need to show up as early. But as these are prime seats I can see people easily sitting in them if they're empty while the trailers are on.

Saying that when I used to go to the Vue which has allocated seating it wasn't that much of a problem. Most people would shift if they're in your seat and you loom over them, but I guess it all depends on who they are.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I noticed this when I booked a ticket for the cinema after work today. I get the point of it but it's been a free for all for as long as I can remember and never been a problem so it will take some getting used to.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you say below, Vue recently(-ish) introduced this. I can only assume it's because they have 'upgraded' seating in the screens and, without any staff actually enforcing where people sit, it was all too easy to pay for the lesser, but sit in the better seats. Although as I've still not seen it enforced, I don't see what difference it can have made. :confused: Presumably they're 'enforcing' it through people's basic sense of fairness and decency and the fear that they may one day check.
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Saying that when I used to go to the Vue which has allocated seating it wasn't that much of a problem. Most people would shift if they're in your seat and you loom over them, but I guess it all depends on who they are.
    In my experience (albeit I'm just one man), people won't maliciously sit in the seat they haven't selected (assuming Cw do as Vue do and let the customer select where they want to sit). Maybe by mistake, but not deliberately. We're British, after all, it's not generally what we do ! :D Seriously, I've been to the cinema maybe ten, twelve times since Vue introduced it. I've never experienced nor witnessed any problems with it, and haven't heard any stories about it, so I think you'll be fine.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike the Vue, Cineworld don't have 'premier' seating, so what exactly is the point of this?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vue have had numbered seats for a long time. You can book them online (and get charged extra for the privilege) or just use the automatic ticket machines at the cinema, which have touch screens so you can select the seats you want. Then, as others have said, you can try to sit in the seats and find someone else is in them. I've never had a problem asking people to move, though sometimes you can see the same people being asked to move over and over by different people. Why don't they just sit in the seats they booked in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    In my experience (albeit I'm just one man), people won't maliciously sit in the seat they haven't selected (assuming Cw do as Vue do and let the customer select where they want to sit). Maybe by mistake, but not deliberately. We're British, after all, it's not generally what we do ! :D Seriously, I've been to the cinema maybe ten, twelve times since Vue introduced it. I've never experienced nor witnessed any problems with it, and haven't heard any stories about it, so I think you'll be fine.

You've been lucky I guess.

When I used to go to the Vue I would always get the upgraded seating, as for the sake of another pound I was happy for the extra leg room. I used to time it so that I would enter the screen just as the Orange ad was on. Most the time our seats were free but a few times people were in them. I guess they had hoped by that point they were free so had jump seats.

Most of them would move when I confronted them but one couple just plain refused. Going on about how if they're not taken a minute before the film starts anyone can sit in them. He knows he is right as he is friends with someone who works there or something like that he was spouting :confused: Of course by this point the film was starting so people around us were getting annoyed, we were getting embarrassed and this couple told us to basically piss off.

I stormed out to get a member of staff to move them but when I approached this young girl she more or less told me there is nothing they can do. The manager wasn't on site and they had no security. I really don't know if that is the normal policy or she just didn't want to confront them but we just asked for a full refund and I left in a foil mood.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So according to the Cineworld website allocated seating is now here.

Has anyone had any experience of this yet? Do they actually enforce it?

As I can just see me picking some good seats, to walk in during the trailers and find someone in them. When approached they will just tell us to sit elsewhere if the screen is quiet.

Edit - Saying that I've just tried to book tickets online for Glasgow Refrew Street (i.e. the busiest cinema in the UK I think) and it just said General Admission still.

Cineworld on Renfrew St is the one i go to and like you i'm also puzzled with how this is going to work.

How are they going to enforce this? On their website it says - 'With allocated seating you no longer need to compete with other customers for available seats in the auditorium'. In my personal experience Renfrew St Cineworld attracts a lot of neds/chavs and what happens if someone is sitting in your seat? What happens if they won't move? Are there going to be ushers inside each and every theatre to deal with this? You don't get want to get into an argument over this with a complete stranger.

Also how will you find your seats? I don't think there's any kind tag on the seats, i don't think each individual seat is numbered, is it?

One other thing, what happens if someone reserves a seat and they don't turn up? How are they going to deal with this? Will they allow customers to sit there or not?

In my opinion there wasn't anything wrong with just going into the theatre and finding somewhere to sit. Like the saying goes 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I don't know about everyone else but i think this is going to cause a lot of problems in this particular cinema.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    This is nothing new. The six screen multiplex near me did this when it opened in 1990! But it was rediculous if its only a few people at the screening as everyone is huddled together in the same area! They soon dropped it. The only time I have known this in recent years was when I saw Skyfall at the Crawley Cineworld. You had to choose seats there so how is this new to Cineworld? Some of them have always done it. Having said that I really dont want it back. Its fine as it is.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Out of curiosity I just checked the viewing I'm going to see later to see how booked up it was going to be. There's going to be a group of us all huddled around the middle with the rest of the cinema empty at this rate. I know a lot of people just turn up rather than pre-booking so it may be quite full by the time the movie starts, but as it is at the moment we're all going to look quite silly :D
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shite idea of the highest order, went to watch 22 Jump Street last week (after spending 20 minutes the night before working out where i actually wanted to sit when i booked online) and the screen just displays a make sure you are in your correct seat image.

People fumbling about trying to make sure they were in the correct seats so just everyone getting seated is a bigger fuss for a start.

when i asked about seat kickers i was told you now have to go back out to reception and be allocated new seats rather than just moving, what the funk happened to common sense.
    Forum Member
    I am dreading this now. I used to hate it before. I am used to choosing a seat when I go into the auditorium. The wife and I like to sit on a side aisle and when possible sit on our own. This will mean sitting next to strangers whether you want to or not. Also I sometimes go on my own and I hate being sat next to someone. Perhaps when the film starts people can move to where they want.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I am dreading this now. I used to hate it before. I am used to choosing a seat when I go into the auditorium. The wife and I like to sit on a side aisle and when possible sit on our own. This will mean sitting next to strangers whether you want to or not. Also I sometimes go on my own and I hate being sat next to someone. Perhaps when the film starts people can move to where they want.

I agree.One of the main perks of Cineworld for me was not having allocated seating!

Ive seen about 70 films with the Unlimited card in the past year and could count on one hand when there have been more than 20 people in.

Mind you I do tend to avoid weekends and Orange Wednesdays ( or whatever its called now).
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Happened to me on Friday - asked me what seat, didn't have a clue - when I got inside, couldn't see the rows - and with only three other people in I sat where I liked.

It's a Joke.>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are people who haven't booked online going to know which seats are allocated and which aren't? Will there be signs on the seats saying these seats are reserved?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    How are people who haven't booked online going to know which seats are allocated and which aren't? Will there be signs on the seats saying these seats are reserved?

I assume they will still get allocated a seat, just by the person on the till.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume they will still get allocated a seat, just by the person on the till.

And what if you don't want that seat and want to sit elsewhere?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what if you don't want that seat and want to sit elsewhere?

The phrase "tough titties" comes to mind. :p

I'm sure they will ask if you want front, middle or back. But apart from that I guess your stuck with what row and seat they put you in. Unless it's quiet and you move just before the film starts, but someone else may come in and you find your in their seat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member

I work at Cineworld and can confirm that the cashier at the box office/concessions stand will ask you if you want to be seated at the front, middle, back or sides and then they'll allocate you a seat accordingly. If you're really picky with where you want to sit then you can even lean over the desk and point to a specific seat where you want to sit (although we'd recommend booking online and using the seating plan selector yourselves). The seat numbers/letters are on each chair arm and the actual row letter is clearly visible on the side of the aisle seat. It's really not as bad as people are making out quite honestly, I was dead against it when I first heard about it but in practice it's actually working quite well, at least at my site.

And for those wondering, we actually have a dedicated "seating team" who will be in the screens at the start of each film directing people to their correct seats. If anyone is sat in your seat, go to the front and tell one of the seating team and they'll ask the other people to move, if they cause a fuss they'll be ejected. Simple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hodor89 wrote: »
    I work at Cineworld and can confirm that the cashier at the box office/concessions stand will ask you if you want to be seated at the front, middle, back or sides and then they'll allocate you a seat accordingly. If you're really picky with where you want to sit then you can even lean over the desk and point to a specific seat where you want to sit (although we'd recommend booking online and using the seating plan selector yourselves). The seat numbers/letters are on each chair arm and the actual row letter is clearly visible on the side of the aisle seat. It's really not as bad as people are making out quite honestly, I was dead against it when I first heard about it but in practice it's actually working quite well, at least at my site.

And for those wondering, we actually have a dedicated "seating team" who will be in the screens at the start of each film directing people to their correct seats. If anyone is sat in your seat, go to the front and tell one of the seating team and they'll ask the other people to move, if they cause a fuss they'll be ejected. Simple.

Thanks very much for your reply Hodor, that's great to hear. Hope it all goes well at my Cineworld when this starts up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've been lucky I guess.

When I used to go to the Vue I would always get the upgraded seating, as for the sake of another pound I was happy for the extra leg room. I used to time it so that I would enter the screen just as the Orange ad was on. Most the time our seats were free but a few times people were in them. I guess they had hoped by that point they were free so had jump seats.

Most of them would move when I confronted them but one couple just plain refused. Going on about how if they're not taken a minute before the film starts anyone can sit in them. He knows he is right as he is friends with someone who works there or something like that he was spouting :confused: Of course by this point the film was starting so people around us were getting annoyed, we were getting embarrassed and this couple told us to basically piss off.

I stormed out to get a member of staff to move them but when I approached this young girl she more or less told me there is nothing they can do. The manager wasn't on site and they had no security. I really don't know if that is the normal policy or she just didn't want to confront them but we just asked for a full refund and I left in a foil mood.

We have had this problem >:(
    We don't buy the good seats anymore, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get people to remove themselves.
    More so because of the people around you as well and it does seem to depend on what area your in.
    The youngsters they employ don't want to confront troublesome customers. Can't blame them.
    I refuse point blank to go Acton anymore.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Again - the current free seating at Cineworld works fine so why change it. I regularly go to the Haymarket and Hammersmith branches and even on Saturday evenings there are loads of free seats. And if you arrive after the film has started and the lights have been switched off it can be very hard to find the right seat.

As for Vue's VIP seating - I assume the trick is to book a seat in the adjacent rows, arrive when the ads are about to end (20 mins in), check no one has booked the VIP seats at the ticket machines and then sit in one!::D
    Forum Member
    Hodor89 wrote: »

A dedicated seating team? What a load of nonsense! Why not leave things as they are, let everyone choose their own seats when they enter then the dedicated seating team will not be needed! What happens if people are not comfortable with who they are sat next to? It does happen. I can understand allocated seating on the main evening screenings on the first week of a huge blockbuster which could be sold out. But to have to choose a seat on a wednesday afternoon at 1pm when about six people will show up is totally barmy. Will the "dedicated seating team " be in those screenings? I have been the only person in the cinema in early afternoon screenings. So will this team be present then making sure one person sits where they have booked?
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was unfortunate enough to be at Cineworld last night. We were asked if we wanted to sit at the front, middle or back. I was quite happy to sit in the allocated seats, but as only the seat number is obvious and not the row (I didn't fancy reciting the alphabet from the front), we ended up sitting wherever we liked.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    And if you arrive after the film has started and the lights have been switched off it can be very hard to find the right seat.

I was once at a packed screening at an independent cinema (Riverside Studios in Hammersmith) where it was "sit where you like". Lots of people arrived after the film started, couldn't see where the empty seats were, went along rows and then turned round again... it was chaos. Eventually someone fell down the stairs in the dark and had to be helped to a seat.

It was so stupid and inconsiderate. If you can't or (more likely) don't want to arrive at the cinema before the lights go down. don't go at all.