Options

People saying "you're so quiet"

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People at work know to keep out my way if I go quiet as it is a sign I am either getting crabbit or irritated by the many idiots which will make me crabbit.
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind if someone asks why I'm being quiet once to show concern, but some people can be pushy about it when I'm just trying to work. The 'cheer up, it might never happen' line gets me every time, though.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some people I know, quite a lot actually, who are constantly harping on about how quiet I am. That's just who I am! People think I'm shy because a) I'm quiet, and b) I'm generally exceedingly polite and don't like to just barge in asking questions of people when they're busy.

I like to be quiet - I enjoy listening, and reading, and working, and sometimes I like to just sit there, stare into nowhere, and think about a variety of things. It's frustrating that because I'm quiet in that way, people automatically assume I'm a delicate little wallflower.
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always get 'You're so quiet...too quiet' :rolleyes: it's so patronising and doesn't make me want to start talking at all. I'd never go to someone 'You are too loud'.

The other day I was walking around town eating a pasty and some bloke from a market stall said 'cheer up...you're eating a patsy' again :rolleyes:. How the hell can I smile when I'm eating?. Things people say just beggar belief sometimes. Am I supposed to walk around in public with a big grin on my face and what does it matter what someones mood is around town anyway. It really affects my confidence when strangers say stuff like that to me.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People often say that to me - and then usually some bright spark will chime in with, "They say the quiet ones are the worst...." :mad:
  • Options
    ~Polecat~~Polecat~ Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I don't like people assuming I'm upset when I'm just sitting down quietly. My mums fiance has relatives who always tell me I look moody and depressed, which makes me question if I've got something wrong with my face!

Funnily enough I have started to wonder the same thing about myself! In a short space of time I have had the same woman (she's a happy go lucky sort) at work tell me to "smile it may never happen" and to "cheer up!" She has said this to me a total of 5 times! At all those times I was fine and just getting on with my work but I felt happy enough! I'm a fairly smiley person so am worrying my face is starting to sag :o
  • Options
    Smelly FisherSmelly Fisher Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Yeah. My mates often say to me ' You OK ? '

I do not mind them asking me, but it is when they repeatedly keep asking. Once I say I am OK I just want them to leave it.

There is nothing worse than someone keep asking you when you're actually OK.
  • Options
    Smelly FisherSmelly Fisher Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    I always get 'You're so quiet...too quiet' :rolleyes: it's so patronising and doesn't make me want to start talking at all. I'd never go to someone 'You are too loud'.

The other day I was walking around town eating a pasty and some bloke from a market stall said 'cheer up...you're eating a patsy' again :rolleyes:. How the hell can I smile when I'm eating?. Things people say just beggar belief sometimes. Am I supposed to walk around in public with a big grin on my face and what does it matter what someones mood is around town anyway. It really affects my confidence when strangers say stuff like that to me.

If you was to smile when you were eating then you'd be eating with your mouth open which is rude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I'm a quiet natured person, it does baffle me when someone I know comments that I'm quiet. It's nothing new...

I've been in a few group situations recently and I find them extremely hard to deal with. I find every time I try to open my mouth to say something the gobby gobshites just speak over me much louder, because a quiet person obviously has nothing of value to say... if only they could hear the colourful conversation going on in my head when they do that! And yes my points were much more valid and articulate than theirs, but if they won't let me speak they'll never know. Ha :p
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    People often say that to me - and then usually some bright spark will chime in with, "They say the quiet ones are the worst...." :mad:

I normally say it's better to remain quiet and be assumed a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a total stranger said to me the other day "cheer up" what the hell? i said dont tell me what to do
    i felt like saying my mums just died, next time a stranger says that to me im gonna say that
    it is always men that say it. i think it makes them uneasy but that aint my problem
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2classy4u wrote: »
    Pmsl, no ones ever told me that I'm so quiet :p
    Oooh good! 2slappery4me's back! Got any more pics?
  • Options
    moon unitmoon unit Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote:
    It doesn't happen very often, but when someone says "what are you thinking?" How can anyone be so intrusive.

I agree, I really dislike that.

'Why are you so quiet?' - to me is impolite and shows some lack of social skills.

But it's usually said without malicious intent, but because they're feeling uncomfortable.

I always find 'cheer up, it might never happen!' witless and irritating.

What if it has already happened?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2classy4u wrote: »
    Pmsl, no ones ever told me that I'm so quiet :p

Pmsl, got anything constructive to add to the thread? Thought not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I always get this too. It is nice when people notice something is up but sometimes I just don't have anything to say or I want a bit of quiet time, gets annoying then!
    Another one I've had said to me before is "You look as bad as I feel", how charming!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely hate it when strangers tell me to cheer up. It's one of the most annoying things that can happen.

Like a poster above, I'm often accused of being quiet and a little aloof because I believe that it's more well-mannered to wait until an appropriate time to speak to people, rather than barge in with my conversation when they may very well be in the middle of something. With friends and family, I'm probably one of the most gregarious in the group, but with people I'm less sure about, I tend to be reserved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    "cheer up, it might never happen"

I Despise that Sentence so much its Unreal. Its always said to me by some Random Chav who thinks hes acting hard but in reality knows nothing about me or why i might look a little down.
  • Options
    angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I've had this from people in group situations. I tend to be shy in big groups and there's often so loudmouth type who goes "you're so quiet", which invariably makes me feel much worse. :(

Yeah, always someone who wont let you be the way you are..
    :mad: