Jamie's Money Saving Meals - Channel 4, Mondays 8pm

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    How come when I have to make a salad with stale bread with leftovers I have to buy five different varieties of tomatoes?
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Did I just see 45p PER sausage?:eek:
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewww @ the tomato dish.. I think I would have preferred the tomatoes without the sauce on.. All that needed was some nice balsamic vinegar on it and it would have been heaven :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    How come when I have to make a salad with stale bread with leftovers I have to buy five different varieties of tomatoes?

I'll just pick mine from the veggie plot out the back :D Although I do always make sure I have a selection of toms in at any time :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "make your own takeaway" segment is usually good and is certainly cheaper.
    Nearly £4K a year on takeaways!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hairy Bikers made this in one of their programmes :D I think theirs looked a bit better than his..lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    He didn't mention how big the family takeaway fed.
    £100 a week would feed an army.

I also think if they're having three a week then it's probably for time & convenience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is you have to have the beef brisket first to make the beef curry.. So it doesn't work out as cheap as he says in the long run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't actually like the look of his beef rendang :( Think I shall make the HB's one. Shall have a nosey through their curry book :D But I don't think I'll be buying Jaimie's book, I looked through it the other day and wasn't that impressed.
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    I'll just pick mine from the veggie plot out the back :D Although I do always make sure I have a selection of toms in at any time :D
    I think Jamie's meals work out a lot cheaper if you have your own veg & herb garden :D
  • GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My philosophy is cooking should take shorter time then eating
    Forum Member
    Trouble is you have to have the beef brisket first to make the beef curry.. So it doesn't work out as cheap as he says in the long run.
    I didn't actually like the look of his beef rendang :( Think I shall make the HB's one. Shall have a nosey through their curry book :D But I don't think I'll be buying Jaimie's book, I looked through it the other day and wasn't that impressed.
    Forgoing themoney saving point or quickness of it then it may be a good meall but didn't look like a beef rendang to me.

For me it is a slow cooked very dark thick stew.
    This is one i've made beore.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefrendangwithlemon_90061

It's a 2 hour slow cook.

I would even do it in the slow cooker now that I have one.
    I used casserole diced beef..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jamie's meals work out a lot cheaper if you have your own veg & herb garden :D

Apart from winter time when everything is dead..lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgoing themoney saving point or quickness of it then it may be a good meall but didn't look like a beef rendang to me.

For me it is a slow cooked very dark thick stew.
    This is one i've made beore.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefrendangwithlemon_90061

It's a 2 hour slow cook.

I would even do it in the slow cooker now that I have one.
    I used casserole diced beef..

That's more like it, definately not what he was cooking..
    Forum Member
    GodAtum wrote: »
    My philosophy is cooking should take shorter time then eating
    Depends on the dish.
    It could be said that the prep should take less time than eating.

You could prep in 5 mins then shot it all into a pot/oven/slow cooker and let it go for several hours.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I make my beef rendang with simple chuck steak, cooked long and slow in the slow cooker, or you could do it in a low oven (my recipe is from Good Food magazine). It makes a nice change from the 'normal' chicken curries.

I must confess to being one of those OCD people who has a cleaning rota, and my oven and fridge get cleaned out once a month without fail - and my fridge and freezer shelves/drawer are all labelled with what goes where! I just got so fed up with people (i.e. children and husband) putting things in random places and mucking up my system! But regular cleaning means it takes minutes to do each time, rather than ages with loads of scrubbing, because nothing ever gets that dirty. Also, I have horrific childhood memories of my mother's 'tardis' fridge, where they were liquifying, stinking, unidentifiable vegetables she'd forgotten were there - I was always determined that would never happen to me (sorry mum! :o)

I'm also one of those 'plan my menu for the coming week' kind of people - and it's really worth it to avoid waste. Then you can plan for left-overs, instead of them coming as a surprise, and neither food nor money is wasted. I've just made the most amazing chicken stew and dumplings from 5 frozen carcasses I'd saved from taking off the breast, legs, wings and thighs from whole chickens - so easy, and not expensive - and we had 18 whole BBQ chicken wings at the weekend all saved up over the course of buying whole chickens over the last two or three months. Finger-lickin' good, as they say!

Still, the series is interesting for the odd idea, but it's not really telling me anything I don't already know - and other regular cooks on here seem to feel the same. But I'm a sucker for any cooking programme - you never know when that one really good idea will stand out among several you aren't interested in (and that's how I've amassed 4 lever arch files of recipes collected from website and magazines... :o)
  • wrighty694wrighty694 Posts: 53
    Forum Member

i did the lamb kofteh having seen last weeks programme and (with the exception of the crushed Pistachios) they were flippin' lovely :) even made me own flatbread nom nom (in all seriousness i made four of those with ingredients that cost me the same as 1 doner which is canny by any margin!)
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Small points about fresh mint sauce being cheaper than shop bought. Unless you grow your own mint then I doubt it. Now as for it tasting better then I don't think you can argue but it's throwing in that price point that raises an eyebrow.

I thought that too. But I suppose if you use his tip from week one about grinding down fresh herbs with olive oil and freezing them in ice cube trays it would probably work out cheaper.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I just see 45p PER sausage?:eek:

Sausages are one thing I don't mind spending money on. There's nothing worse than a cheap sausage.
    Forum Member
    Some good tips this week. Not too much to complain or be sarky about.

The only thing would be about the couple wasting a 1/3 of salad because it goes off.
    Surely the thing to tell them to do is to buy less salad? It's all well and good giving them more ideas on how to use it up but if they buy less in the first place then they will save money and waste.
    Forum Member
    The steak looks like a nice recipe but I don't get the hype over flat iron steak. And around here it's the same price as rump - definately not 1/3 or 1/2 the price of other steaks.

I've had it several times and cooked it in different ways and different doneness and not once have I come away liking it.
    I've only had it again to see if it was the cooking of it that made the difference.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Sausages are one thing I don't mind spending money on. There's nothing worse than a cheap sausage.

True, but it's hardly money saving is it?
  • LobsterSandwichLobsterSandwich Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Jesus, look at that product placement.