Options

Drivers who can't park properly

2»

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,884
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I suspect most of us have seen people doing it.
    Just today I watched somebody having 3 goes at parallel parking in a space that you probably could have got 3 cars into and, when they finally managed it without ending up on the pavement, the woman got out, studied how she'd parked then got back in her car and moved it slightly so it was precisely in the middle of the available space.

If karma was a real thing, a couple of FIAT 126s would have arrived moments later and parked either side of her. :D

Even then, some people do exagerate. I remember once I was in a mini bus and the driver was a really good one and there was someone who was about to reverse park rightwards into a space but was very hesitant. The driver of the mini bus I was in said "GO ON, YOU CAN GET A BUS IN THERE" and there was no way you could, not a proper bus anyway. The space was just over 1 car space's worth and reversing back into a right spot can be harder than when reversing leftwards imo and experiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another thing I have just thought of is that sometimes I am forced to park over into another parking bay's space because the car next to my space has crossed over into my parking space and it caused a knock on effect. This happens a fair bit at a small car park outside some banks where I live.
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    Does this annoy you, when drivers who can't be bothered to straighten selves out when parking in a car park bay??

Are some drivers so lazy grrrr!!!!!!

I agree, and it usually starts a chain reaction of other cars parking at bent angles as well. You could of taken the last spot, go into the shop and on return all the other cars have gone, leaving your car looking poorly parked. Then someone gives you funny looks when they just arrive.

Other parking issues. Drivers who use pub car parks then go elsewhere. Drivers who leave their cars on timed bays all day and only move them when Mr traffic warden turns up. Common high st problem abused by shop workers.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Another thing I have just thought of is that sometimes I am forced to park over into another parking bay's space because the car next to my space has crossed over into my parking space and it caused a knock on effect. This happens a fair bit at a small car park outside some banks where I live.

You can get done for that here.
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »

This happens at my work car park all the time, partly because the spaces are quite small. One car parks right up to or just over the line then the next car does the same otherwise they will be nearly touching the first car.

I'm never sure whether to do that or just abandon the parking bay and take the next one!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Take the next one. It still leads to losing one car parking space either way.

I only park next to a badly marked car if I can still fit entirely inside the next marked space. If it means leaving just an inch next to their driver's door then tough.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weirdest I've seen was in a car park in a neighbouring city that used to just be a free for all car park but then when they marked it out they marked it out in the same way people parked so most of the spaces are at an angle.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple design of US carparks with angled V shaped spaces should be imported.
    Instead of having to turn 90 degrees from the access road into a space one has only to
    turn a few degress to enter and the amount of wheel jiggling is almost nil to exit the space
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Take the next one. It still leads to losing one car parking space either way.

I only park next to a badly marked car if I can still fit entirely inside the next marked space. If it means leaving just an inch next to their driver's door then tough.

Yeah, you're probably right. Although my work car park is a bit odd as they section it off with barriers at different points each day so the last space may be a bit bigger!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Trouble is, going in forwards usually means you don't like reversing either, so you leave a whacking great gap in front of your car so you can just drive out forwards. This means you end up using two car-lengths and denying someone a parking space. Please learn to reverse park and think of others.
    I speak from (repeated) personal experience. Our little street is pretty cramped and frequently our parking is completely disrupted by a visitor who does your trick.

Oh no I always park so there is enough room for a car to park behind me. I rarely park in the road though as I'm no good at it - I'd rather go to a carpark where I can park in a designated space and therefore won't be a bother. Or I'll park further away so I can park somewhere more easily and not inconvenience anyone. I would like to learn to reverse park though - will be asking my husband to help me next time we go out :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I used to work in a restaurant with a drive through and people would park horizontally across three spots instead of parking normally....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boniver wrote: »
    This happens at my work car park all the time, partly because the spaces are quite small. One car parks right up to or just over the line then the next car does the same otherwise they will be nearly touching the first car.

I'm never sure whether to do that or just abandon the parking bay and take the next one!

Where it affects me, there is only about 10 car park spaces and often there isn't any other spare parking bays.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I can do parallel parking perfectly first time when nobody is watching :p
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get done for that here.

Food for thought for those who use private car parks. A couple of years ago i parked in a euro car parks site. I parked very early to catch the train. I saw two vehicles arrive together, one car and a euro car parks van. The car parked across two bays then the car driver got in the van and off they went.

When i got back, i saw right across that particular line of bays, all cars parked over the bay line with the original car now parked correctly. It doesn't take a genius to determine that it would have been the knock on effect of the car parked by the company.

All those parked over the bay line had been ticketed.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Some people don't care how they are parked, as long as they are in a bay I don't see a problem. There are far worse things other drivers can do than not park in the centre of the bay like reverse into the car behind, slam their doors against another car,scratch the other car with bags, let the trolley hit the car (all of which I have witnessed in car parks).

I personally park as far away from other cars as I can (someone always seems to want to park next to my car though).
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Some people don't care how they are parked, as long as they are in a bay I don't see a problem. There are far worse things other drivers can do than not park in the centre of the bay like reverse into the car behind, slam their doors against another car,scratch the other car with bags, let the trolley hit the car (all of which I have witnessed in car parks).

I personally park as far away from other cars as I can (someone always seems to want to park next to my car though).

I park well away from everyone else, at the furthest reaches of the car park. I also try to use an end bay so I can park right over to one side and (hopefully) avoid door dings.
    I agree that there are far worse things than badly-parked cars, but IMO, poor, off-centre or cocked parking indicates someone who doesn't care, and is likely to open his door into my bodywork or scratch it with bags etc.
    I also avoid parking next to a scruffy car for the same reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can do parallel parking perfectly first time when nobody is watching :p

Hehe, me too, I can't park under pressure!
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I park well away from everyone else, at the furthest reaches of the car park. I also try to use an end bay so I can park right over to one side and (hopefully) avoid door dings.
    I agree that there are far worse things than badly-parked cars, but IMO, poor, off-centre or cocked parking indicates someone who doesn't care, and is likely to open his door into my bodywork or scratch it with bags etc.
    I also avoid parking next to a scruffy car for the same reason.
    BIB - I do the same thing - I'd rather the extra minute's walk then having to put up/pay out for car damage.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things being parallel or symmetrical or in order is important to me. Cars being parked badly is inconsiderate but it also drives me up the wall. A couple of days ago I walked down one parking 'aisle' (?) and nine cars, not next to each other, were parked outside the lines. Anyone who can't park shouldn't drive, either.
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're usually quite easy to spot. Three mirrors and now rear parking sensors and they still try and park by craning their neck to look out through the rear window.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It annoys me on a busy supermarket carpark when someone when some driver blocks everyone whilst faffing about trying to reverse into a space.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is starting to sound like a rufusrain thread! :D
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a self-admitted terrible parker, at least on a "side of the road" situation, but I'd like to try to defend myself a bit! :D In a carpark or parking in a bay I'm spot on. I like to be evenly between the lines, not sticking out of the front/back and generally cause no problems for anyone else. When it comes to parking in between two cars along a pavement though.. forget about it!

It's not that I'm a bad driver, it's simply that I've never found myself in that position regularly enough to be particularly good at it. My house is very conviently positioned on our street, so I get a nice little stretch of pavement to myself, right next to a nice dip in the road. The downside to that is that I've never really needed to master the art of parking. I know the theory of it, but put in the position of trying to reverse in between two cars, or to straighten up along the pavement between two cars, I'm effectively useless!

I'll never leave my car in a particularly shitty position and will always try to fix it the best I can before wandering off, but the truth is, I'm just not a great parker.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It annoys me on a busy supermarket carpark when someone when some driver blocks everyone whilst faffing about trying to reverse into a space.
    Or when you find a space and, as you pull in, some lazy barsteward has just left their trolley there.