Getting antique furniture valued

lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Have any of you any experience with getting (possible) antiques valued?

We have an old extendable dining table & 8 chairs which were brought over from Italy by my late father in law, we want to get rid of it (to be honest I was going to freecycle it) but I just thought I would check in case we could get a couple of quid instead.

What would you do? - take a photo around local antique shops and see what they think, or do I put it in an auction (is this even worth the effort if it's worthless?) or do we get an insurance person round to give us a quote? Or do I just ebay it and hope for the best?

I have absolutely no idea if this is even worth anything so dont want to waste people's time.

Appreciate any help.

Many thanks

(pic attached if anyone interested)

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/thrushpuppy/photo.jpg

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding is that most antique shops charge a valuation fee, which is a set fee or a percentage of the value of the item.I have heard that you can get things valued online by submitting a photo but I am not sure how kosher that is.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    Hi,

Have any of you any experience with getting (possible) antiques valued?

We have an old extendable dining table & 8 chairs which were brought over from Italy by my late father in law, we want to get rid of it (to be honest I was going to freecycle it) but I just thought I would check in case we could get a couple of quid instead.

What would you do? - take a photo around local antique shops and see what they think, or do I put it in an auction (is this even worth the effort if it's worthless?) or do we get an insurance person round to give us a quote? Or do I just ebay it and hope for the best?

I have absolutely no idea if this is even worth anything so dont want to waste people's time.

Appreciate any help.

Many thanks

(pic attached if anyone interested)

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/thrushpuppy/photo.jpg
    Reproduction, 8 place with chairs if in good condition, E-bay, starting price £90, buyer collects.

Give that a go.

EDIT

Also give a couple of auction houses a call, see if they are interested in selling it for you, you will get a free valuation to if interested.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you seacam & *stargazer* I just did a bit more digging and have just submitted a photo on antiquevault.com so fingers crossed! :) They claim to do free evaluations within 7 days.

I dont hold out much hope but hey it's worth a shot!!
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Have a look in Yellow Pages and choose a local auction house or two. Tell them you'd like them to value it for auction and that it's to big to take to them. They should send someone round to look at for you. If you do decide to go down the auction route make sure you ask them what their commission is and put a reserve on it.