Options

Aussie Slang?

Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
Forum Member
✭✭
Back in the late 80's when Neighbours and H&A first appeared and we here in the UK were not so aware of Aussie culture, there were a few words/phrases that were often used.

rack off (get lost)

he's wrapped in you (ie: he fancies you)

grog (booze)

he's a dag (he's a dweeb/geek)

What happened to these phrases? Did they disappear from Aussie society altogether or did they just disappear from usage in these soaps?

Also, were there other examples people remember?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    doll
    bewty
    wog as in a flu or sickness
    hoon
    she's apples
    bonza
    you little ripper!
    spunk
  • Options
    habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flaming galah!!
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    H&A still uses ''dag'' and ''rack off'' doesn't it?
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,305
    Forum Member
    Stone the flaming crows!
  • Options
    NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Ailsa, you great gallah!"

"cobber"

"strewth"

Alf Stewart had some great turns of phrase - I read an interview with Ray Meagher where he said that he'd picked them up from people he played rugby with in Brisbane years ago - so they're probably more regional phrases used by older generations rather than mainstream slang.

I think phrases like "rack off" and "dag" were substitutes for swear words and probably aren't used that much in real life (my experience of Aussies is that they swear a lot).

A more obvious one is "G'day" - I never realised that people actually said it until I heard it for myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I am Australian and I have never heard people say words like she's apples or he's wrapped in you :S
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Rack off' is a minced oath. Like "flippin' 'eck" from 'Grange Hill'.

I'm Australian and I don't think I've ever heard any one say 'rack off' in real life although it probably has been said occasionally. I think it was invented for radio/ television and thinking back the earliest usages of it I recall is by comedienne Noeline Brown in sketch comedy radio and television series 'The Naked Vicar Show'.

I mean, do people in the UK really say "flippin' 'eck"?

"Flamin'" is also a minced oath - more common on TV than in real life.

"Bonza" and "cobber" are never ever used anywhere by any Australian. I'm 40-odd and have never heard an Australian use these words in my life (we say "mate", not "cobber"). People in the UK, on the other hand, seem to like them a lot and repeat them a bit.

It is not "wrapped", it is "rapt", and "rapt" is not slang. As in "enrapture".

"doll" sounds to me like an old-fashioned term used by gay men in the 1970s.

"hoon" definitely still is common usage in 2011.

"spunk" more a 1970/80s term; it sounds very incongruous today and I expect would be rarely used.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is not "wrapped", it is "rapt", and "rapt" is not slang. As in "enrapture".

My bad, I think now you have reminded me, I actually did know this at one time.
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    from personal experience

tinnies - tins of beer
    throw a sickie - take a day off work
    throw a trifecta - take 3 days off work
    hooo rooo - bye
    Drongo ~idiot
    mozzies - mosquitos
    dunny -toilet
    rank - bad
    back yard = back garden
    bonza - great
    how ya goin moit ~
    How are'ya
    budgie smugglers~speedos
    skiddies ~mens undies
    flip flops - / jandles ~summer rubber sandals
    Doona = duvet
    ute = utility car
    roo bar ~ metal barrier to protect engine
    fair go~really ?

being "rapt" in someone/something- was an expression often used in NZ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, a galah is an Australian parrot. Pink and grey and squawky. A drongo is also a type of bird.

In the 1970s a 'tinnie' was a can of beer. Today a 'tinnie' is more commonly a small aluminium boat, and 'cans' are 'cans'.
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    What is this schoolies they keep talking about in Neighbours?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one says those slang words anymore. Australian slang, like that of most countries, is constantly evolving and those words are outdated.
    What is this schoolies they keep talking about in Neighbours?

Schoolies is when people who have just finished year 12 take a vacation with their friends before starting university, technical training or employment. They usually go to beach resorts or cities where there's a lot of nightlife and rent motel rooms and party. It's been going on since at least the early 1990s and probably earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, love this word, no one else I knows use it (Im english btw). Not really heard on Home and away, is it still used in Australia? Its such a cool word imo.
  • Options
    Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ones that confused me on my first visit:-

Chuck a snag on the barbie

Grab the Esky

Dont forget your thongs for the beach
    sausage on the BBQ, Icebox, Flip Flops
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, love this word, no one else I knows use it (Im english btw). Not really heard on Home and away, is it still used in Australia? Its such a cool word imo.

Not really. It's rare to hear someone to say it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the timmins in particular were in neighbours, 'bogan' was used quite a bit

I'm not 100% but i assumed it to be the aussie equivalent of calling someone trailer trash i.e. no class etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »

I'm not 100% but i assumed it to be the aussie equivalent of calling someone trailer trash i.e. no class etc

I remember something like that! God, the day they left, that show went to hell.
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    Keeki wrote: »
    No one says those slang words anymore. Australian slang, like that of most countries, is constantly evolving and those words are outdated.

Schoolies is when people who have just finished year 12 take a vacation with their friends before starting university, technical training or employment. They usually go to beach resorts or cities where there's a lot of nightlife and rent motel rooms and party. It's been going on since at least the early 1990s and probably earlier.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have a aunt and cousins who live in Oz. But whenever I mention I watch Neighbours the proceed to moan how bad it is so I never asked them. So thanks for clearing that up. I do remember in the past, we have seen Neighbours kids take trips when their exams are done. But unlike EE I am more a casual viewer so I had never heard of schoolies before. Sounds like at the end of term we are going to have the kids head off somewhere. No doubt will end in some disaster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I met lots of Australians travelling, and they say Bogan is basically their word for "Chav". x
  • Options
    ZaichikZaichik Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    In the 80s and 90s, Aussie soap characters would often say "but" at the end of sentences (meaning "though"), but you don't hear that any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Doona' and 'Esky' are genericised trademarks - brand names that came to be used generically for the item. Like 'tannoy' in the UK.

'Bogan' is like 'chav' and means, essentially, uncultured. The term 'bogan' became popular during the 1980s and is still used.

'Crikey' is an old UK term - minced oath from Christ. Someone in urban dictionary said it was "strangely" adopted by Australians. Not sure why that is strange since our entire language was adopted from the UK (OK, with a few Americanisms thrown in).
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    another one is
    Carked it = died

and friends often add "O" on the end of their mates names~
    eg-Tom becomes Tommo
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    smfan123 wrote: »

I was watching a bogan couple on cam 4. They were very proud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 1980s in Australia, when the genre was very popular here, soaps would often affectionately be called "soapies".

You don't hear that term any more.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    I'm off to see the qauck this 'afo cos I'm feeling a bit crook.