Lone Ranger getting terrible reviews

PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
can't say i'm surprised. no matter what they say, it just looks like another PoTC but in the wild west. johnny depp is such a lazy actor too

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i saw the trailer on tv, i was convinced it was the 5th Pirates film

Johnny depp is a great actor, but his roles over the last 3/4 years have been piss poor. I think the last decent performance he did was Sweeney todd, which actually was more than 3/4 years ago.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been a fan of Johnny Depp as an actor and don't get the hype. At all. The public love him but i don't think he's all that talented. I very rarely go see any film he stars in.

The last 2 films of his i saw was Dark Shadows which strangely enough i liked because it was camp, kooky, looked fun and had a good emsemble cast. Nothing to do with Depp being the star attaction. Before that it was The Tourist (went to see as last resort) which was forgettable at best.

Won't be going to see this.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, Depp has been on auto pilot ever since the first Pirates movie. It's sad, because now seeing his name attached usually means the film you're about to watch will be a exercise in futility.

Maybe one day he'll stop saying yes to anything by Verbinski/Bruckheimer/Burton and start doing some proper acting again.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after we saw Man of Steel they showed an extended clip from Lone Ranger , about 10 minutes long , an action scene on top a train , it was great .
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    When I saw the trailer I was sure it looked like Jack Sparrow had just wandered into the Wild West, war paint and all. Not terribly excited.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Maybe one day he'll stop saying yes to anything by Verbinski/Bruckheimer/Burton and start doing some proper acting again.

This! Very much this.

Don't think it will ever happen though.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the trailer for this and it looked complete pants to me. Not surprised to hear it's getting terrible reviews, the trailer put me right off it which is the exact opposite of its job!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    The fact that the entire promotional campaign has been about Tonto with the Lone Ranger as a minor background detail might help. Instead of being an adaptation of an old favourite, it seems to be another excuse to see Johnny Depp do his Jack Sparrow character again, only this time as a Native American. I'm surprised Tim Burton isn't directing with Helena Bonham Carter showing up somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that the entire promotional campaign has been about Tonto with the Lone Ranger as a minor background detail might help. Instead of being an adaptation of an old favourite, it seems to be another excuse to see Johnny Depp do his Jack Sparrow character again, only this time as a Native American. I'm surprised Tim Burton isn't directing with Helena Bonham Carter showing up somewhere.

she's in it .

thank god Burton's not directing it tho . I think Verbinski is a terrific director , hes never relly gotten the kudos he deserves .
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Can we have some links to these terrible reviews for Lone Ranger?

I can't find anything online about reviews for this yet!
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    One to avoid, even on DVD, BluRay or Channel 5 imo
    Forum Member
    Ignore my previous post as Ive seen the article on the main DS page

It does sound very bland from these early reviews though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the trailer, looks crap, interrest gone in an instant.
    Forum Member
    I will see it even if the reviews are terrible as I prefer to judge for myself!

I actually thought the trailer looked quite good but I guess I'm in the minority!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Can we have some links to these terrible reviews for Lone Ranger?

I can't find anything online about reviews for this yet!

take your pick:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lone_ranger/

;)
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll ignore the critics. Afterall, the only critic that matters to me is... well... me. I won't let others decide for me on whether a film is good or bad. I'm very capable of judging for myself so I'll decide on my own. I'm not a western fan either but I'll give this film a chance. It looks like s fun time. :)
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 I guess you missed my second post saying that I had seen the DS article with the reviews but thanks for the link anyway!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why they insist on these movies being 150 minutes long. Seriously, what story are they telling here that couldn't be told in 89 minutes? I'm out.

NB: Please say Kermode isn't on holiday the week this comes out. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    I'll ignore the critics. Afterall, the only critic that matters to me is... well... me. I won't let others decide for me on whether a film is good or bad. I'm very capable of judging for myself so I'll decide on my own. I'm not a western fan either but I'll give this film a chance. It looks like s fun time. :)

Did you ever get to see, Ishtar, Battlefield Earth ,Gigli, and Swept Away by any chance..
    Were they any good.
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    NB: Please say Kermode isn't on holiday the week this comes out. ;)

Looking forward to another Kermodian rant on Friday :D
    Forum Member
    Why Friday?Lone Ranger isn't out in the UK untill the 9th August as for some reason it isn't out this week in the UK even though there is no big blockbuster out this week!

So Mark Kermode won't review it untill the 9th August
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer looked terribe to me, I lost interest at that point.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read an article recently that suggested he was going to give up acting for the next 10 years and just become a recluse. He's currently looking for houses in Hampshire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Why Friday?Lone Ranger isn't out in the UK untill the 9th August as for some reason it isn't out this week in the UK even though there is no big blockbuster out this week!

So Mark Kermode won't review it untill the 9th August

I think they were assuming Disney wouldn't screw us over again...

Apparently, America is the only market that matters...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One to avoid, even on DVD, BluRay or Channel 5 imo

you've seen it ? is it that bad ?