How many languages

13»

Comments

• KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    English (obviously), I used to be able to get by in French but doubt I could any more, and also Japanese. My Japanese reading is far better than my speaking or listening though :o
  • Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only English fluenty fluently (Read, write and speak)

I can read and write Welsh well, but speak Welsh quite well als, but I get nervous if someone fluent starts jibbering away and I can easily get lost.

My French is worse again, got a GCSE but that doesnt mean you can speak it very well and havent used French for years. Can just about get away with the basic now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    English and I can read and understand French - speaking it is a different matter - my accent just makes people snigger.

Italian - I surprised a friend on Holiday by telling her exactly what the people at the next table were discussing - She reacted by saying " The last four days you've let me do all the talking and you can speak Italian!" She just assumed I didn't have any other languages. I'm a bit rusty till I've been around Italian speakers for a few days and get tuned in.

Spanish - I get by - just. Can read and understand easily , the odd phrase or word trips me up.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the one, English.

I know a little French (and when I say a little, I know about 10 words!!!)
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    English, French, Spanish, plus pre-verbal ennunciation, and post-pubescent articulation (that's: understanding what is being communicated by a crying baby, and a sulking pre-teen).

So 5 languages.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can sort of 'get by' in Russian.

I am sh!t at languages, so I sort of learn by rote, various phrases and words from the OH. I can go into a shop, bar or museum or whatever and deal with the situation. I know what I want to say and the OH has taught me what to expect in response.

The two phrases I am totally fluent in and speak like a native, after tuition are.

'I have a black cat, he's an idiot'

'A glass of red wine please'

What more does an englishman abroad need:p
  • AlekAlek Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    - English
    - Spanish
    - Portuguese
    - Italian

Funny because if you understand portuguese you'll understand spanish, but if you understand spanish you will not understand portuguese lol
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thought that was going to be something burmese:o

I can speak english and dutch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    English, French, Spanish and I can read Italian but not speak it. I have a GCSE in German but I'm very rusty!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alek wrote: »
    - English
    - Spanish
    - Portuguese
    - Italian

Funny because if you understand portuguese you'll understand spanish, but if you understand spanish you will not understand portuguese lol

Haha that's so frustrating! When I learnt Portuguese I found it incredibly difficult despite being able to speak Spanish
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Only English fluently. I used to speak reasonably good French but it's got very rusty over the years. My Spanish is ok but not great - from that I can sort of read Catalan and Portuguese, as well as bits of Italian. I know some basics in German and Dutch and the odd word in Russian.

Just from speaking English you can sort of read bits of Dutch and Norwegian/Danish.
  • Mister MaganeseMister Maganese Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one sitting here in amazement at all the posters thinking they can speak foreign languages?

Either this board is full of genuinely above average people, or it's full of all but liars.

Having a vague awareness of about 10 words does not mean you are familiar with that language.