Options

Cnat get my glass shower doors clean

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Let it build up a bit TBF, used Mr Muscle glass cleaner to remove it, and its a lot better but not totally clean/sparkling.....any ideas? Also do struggle to keep the whit ceramic base clean too! With regards to the shower clean spray - I'm assuming I can spray that on the glass too and not just the shower/Tiles?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a film of lime-scale is the problem, vinegar, lemon juice, or a branded descaler might help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem until I got rid of the standard cleaners and started using castille soap instead. I use Dr Bronners and afterwards I literally wipe off and dry with kitchen roll (no squeegee required).

I get the same results when I use it on my windows and mirrors!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks, I have used white vinegar to clean the limescale from my toilet before so I will try it again
  • Options
    Mel O'DramaticMel O'Dramatic Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was directed to this thread by someone who thought I might have something to contribute - you know who you are! :D

Anyway, I have a glass shower screen and I use viakal on it, give it a good scrub, rinse it all off with the shower and for a nice clean gleaming finish, I use one of those little hand-held wiper thingies you see window cleaners use. I use it every time I've finished in the shower too. It takes seconds, is very satisfying in a weirdly anal way, and keeps the glass water-mark free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was directed to this thread by someone who thought I might have something to contribute - you know who you are! :D

Anyway, I have a glass shower screen and I use viakal on it, give it a good scrub, rinse it all off with the shower and for a nice clean gleaming finish, I use one of those little hand-held wiper thingies you see window cleaners use. I use it every time I've finished in the shower too. It takes seconds, is very satisfying in a weirdly anal way, and keeps the glass water-mark free.

You have really helped me out here, is Viakal available at supermarkets or will I have to get it on line?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viakal's available at all good supermarkets. Get the spray bottle, easier to handle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member

I do the same thing after every shower but I don't just stop at the screen, I do all of the tiling too :blush:

Cuts down on the amount of cleaning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do the tiles too!! I feel totally vindicated....We should spread the good word, like the gospel....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viakal's available at all good supermarkets. Get the spray bottle, easier to handle.

Thank you
  • Options
    PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have shower squeegees too! Saves loads of time cleaning water marks off glass and tiles. I've got quite the technique going, if it all goes t*ts up work wise I can always buy myself a ladder and a bucket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    The easiest way is to use Shower Shine. You have to get your shower area clean first, then, after each shower, you just rinse off the soapsuds so it's just wet, spray it round all the surfaces, walk away and leave it. At the risk of sounding like an advert, it really does do what it says.

The major supermarkets sell it under their own brand - it's cheaper and just as good.
  • Options
    stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ammonia , noticed it making a comeback, got some from the range not long ago and sure i saw it in tesco for around a pound. ammonia and white vinegar mix best for glass.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    The best thing I've ever used to remove persistent hard water stains from shower glass?

Hob-brite. It just cuts right through it as easy as anything and leaves it shimmering.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Yorkie85 wrote: »
    I do the same thing after every shower but I don't just stop at the screen, I do all of the tiling too :blush:

Cuts down on the amount of cleaning!

So do I. And as Mel said it is oddly satisfying!
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Limelite and an abrasive sponge then water and a squeegee . Perfect. Flash with bleach for the seals and tiles.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White vinegar and scrunched up newspaper
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Citric acid- you should be able to buy it from chemists. Make up a ~10% solution and spray it all over the shower and leave for an hour. Perfect every time.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a massive amount of ground in build up, you know like in a shared student flats shower :D
    You will still need a lot of elbow grease to initially shift it all.

I use pure beach and very hard scrub pads and loads of elbow power.
    Once off warm soapy water that is rinsed off followed by a good buff up with an microfibre cloth.

To keep it clean just wipe dry after yourself each time you shower and clean as and when needed then.
    Wipe tiles dry each time as well.
  • Options
    electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stardrops in solution
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I would plaster it in cilit bang and then leave it for ages i.e. all day.

The mistake I always used to do was to spray on the product and then start scrubbing away almost immediately. If you leave it for a long time it begins to react with the grime/limescale and then later on it'll come off far more easily.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Mel, I've just used this stuff and it's amazing! No hard scrubbing needed, everything is super shiney now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're very welcome grotbags. It is my pleasure to have given others the benefit of my shower-screen-cleaning abilities :D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To prevent it building up I. Keep a window squeegee in the shower and if used to quickly wipe down the shower after use it keeps the glass pristine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're very welcome grotbags. It is my pleasure to have given others the benefit of my shower-screen-cleaning abilities :D

You cannot imagine how my eyes are rolling..... ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roll away JAB, roll away. The truth cannot be denied.