Job interview attire...going against the rules.

Comments

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would certainly reinforce the idea that "smart dress" does not mean black, white and grey only.

Also I was offered my last two jobs based on "quirky" cuff links I was wearing; in one case they were Doctor Who related and my future line manager was on the panel and was a fan, the other were Scrabble cuff links which fitted in with the interests of a couple of the panel members.

So you never know what will build rapport.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conservative just means don't come in with your norks hanging out. Wearing a red shirt isnt going to count against you.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    ... Wearing a red shirt isnt going to count against you.
    Unless you are applying to be a crew member on a spaceship :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you are applying to be a crew member on a spaceship :p
    :D:D:D
    but
    http://www.cnet.com/news/surprise-star-trek-gold-shirts-more-deadly-than-red-shirts/
    :p:p:p
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest even though it might make you a 'stand out' candidate at interview, I wouldn't recommend you wearing a tire. Best to stick to clothes.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The third item of the well-known list of "lies, damned lies, and statistics"...
    Either that or the universe is about to implode at such an extreme alteration of perceived reality :eek:
    [ though worse than that, a horribly script-heavy site that crawls and lags until you kill the pointless frippery ]

I'll accept it being an inevitable consequence of the overall (or shirt, even) numbers but when it comes to 'away' missions I suspect redshirts win hands down. Or possibly toes up.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interviewing tomorrow and I have told the candidates that we have a casual dress code here so no need to wear a suit. Can't wait to see what they turn up in.
    Thinking about it that might be a bit tough on them. It is a lot easier to throw on a suit than decide what casual clothes would be suitable for an interview!
    We will see.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll accept it being an inevitable consequence of the overall (or shirt, even) numbers but when it comes to 'away' missions I suspect redshirts win hands down. Or possibly toes up.
    :D:D:)
  • janehobbs1janehobbs1 Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    I'm interviewing tomorrow and I have told the candidates that we have a casual dress code here so no need to wear a suit. Can't wait to see what they turn up in.
    Thinking about it that might be a bit tough on them. It is a lot easier to throw on a suit than decide what casual clothes would be suitable for an interview!
    We will see.....

Easy enough for the men, an open neck shirt and smart trousers would be OK. Makes it more difficult for the women though.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    janehobbs1 wrote: »
    Easy enough for the men, an open neck shirt and smart trousers would be OK. Makes it more difficult for the women though.

Not really. A smart shirt and trouser combo would be fine for women too.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steelbock wrote: »
    I am applying for admin jobs.

I was wondering why the advice is to be conservative when you want to stand out from the rest. I thought I could add some bright colour but still look smart.

Stick with the suit. Shirt colour doesn't matter much.

If you really want that job do the research on the company. Ask for any strategy documents. Look at the job description/person specification and see how you fit what they need. Ask questions about career development, show that you intend to stay by showing you want a future with them. If they say they offer no career development leave well alone. Check to see if they have anything about behaviours e.g customer service, professionalism, future focus and liberally fill your responses with terms that fit these behaviours.

E.g. if future focus is a key behaviour say you do x,y and z to keep up on latest developments in that industry/profession.

Remember, generally those that have been shortlisted for interview have pretty similar cv's. They way to make you stand out is showing how you align with the organisation and having an understanding of what they do and where they are going.
  • janehobbs1janehobbs1 Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Not really. A smart shirt and trouser combo would be fine for women too.

Yes but women could get away with that for any job interview.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davzer wrote: »

If you really want that job do the research on the company. Ask for any strategy documents. Look at the job description/person specification and see how you fit what they need. Ask questions about career development, show that you intend to stay by showing you want a future with them. If they say they offer no career development leave well alone. Check to see if they have anything about behaviours e.g customer service, professionalism, future focus and liberally fill your responses with terms that fit these behaviours.

E.g. if future focus is a key behaviour say you do x,y and z to keep up on latest developments in that industry/profession.

Remember, generally those that have been shortlisted for interview have pretty similar cv's. They way to make you stand out is showing how you align with the organisation and having an understanding of what they do and where they are going.
    All very true but I'm sure in some case the interviewer makes up their mind within minutes of looking at the candidate.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you're doing something right, in getting so many interviews. However, instead of fixating on what you're wearing, you should request specific feedback from any further unsuccessful interviews, so that you can learn from potential employer's actual concerns, rather than just hoping that a change of shirt will alter your future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    OP, you're doing something right, in getting so many interviews. However, instead of fixating on what you're wearing, you should request specific feedback from any further unsuccessful interviews, so that you can learn from potential employer's actual concerns, rather than just hoping that a change of shirt will alter your future.

I have asked for feedback on interviews and have been told that I have given a good interview and come across well but I have unluckily missed out to a better candidate. I don't think I am fixated about my clothing, it was just something that I thought I could try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »

That's a bit harsh. OP - do not lose confidence over these remarks, you are probably desperate to find a job and it is right to be thinking of ways to get through the interviews.
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steelbock wrote: »
    I have been told a few times that '10-15 candidates are being interviewed.'

Usually true for admin jobs
    mklass wrote: »
    Why not take a drive one morning and see if you can get a look at the employees going into work?..... that may give you some sort of indication as to what most of them dress like!........ Good luck with your next interview!..... I know what it is like to keep getting nowhere when job hunting!....... its very soul destroying..... :)

Excellent advice. I know you said you can't spare the petrol money, but think of it as an investment in your potential employment.

Also excellent advice. When i was job hunting my key things were to always make sure my shoes were well polished (actually, i usually bought new shoes). But my dad said it is something employers look at, as shoes are often forgotten, so clean, non-scuffed, preferably polished shoes.

Do research on the company before hand. look at their website, read their annual report.

Another piece of advice i got (from an interviewer i was unsuccessful with) is always have a couple of questions to ask at the end - such as career progression. My favourite question to ask is: what sort of culture does the team/office have? and by this i mean do they have a blame culture? do they work in silos? are they an open, sharing team?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Also excellent advice. When i was job hunting my key things were to always make sure my shoes were well polished (actually, i usually bought new shoes). But my dad said it is something employers look at, as shoes are often forgotten, so clean, non-scuffed, preferably polished shoes.

Do research on the company before hand. look at their website, read their annual report.

Another piece of advice i got (from an interviewer i was unsuccessful with) is always have a couple of questions to ask at the end - such as career progression. My favourite question to ask is: what sort of culture does the team/office have? and by this i mean do they have a blame culture? do they work in silos? are they an open, sharing team?

I know it sounds trivial but it is absolutely true. People do notice shoes. I once ruled a guy out of a job within the first 30 seconds of the interview because he rocked up wearing trainers. I had explained to the recruitment agent that the job was in a head office environment with suits and ties etc. so there was no excuse.

As for questions at the end, I would definitely avoid asking a closed question, such as whether they have a blame culture. Organisations that do aren't aware of the fact and ones that don't will resent the implication. It's a bit like asking if the management is shit or not. :D An open question is fine, of course. It's even better if you can relate the question back to something that the interviewer said earlier in the meeting as this demonstrates that you were actually listening and can think under (mild) pressure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it sounds trivial but it is absolutely true. People do notice shoes. I once ruled a guy out of a job within the first 30 seconds of the interview because he rocked up wearing trainers. I had explained to the recruitment agent that the job was in a head office environment with suits and ties etc. so there was no excuse.

As for questions at the end, I would definitely avoid asking a closed question, such as whether they have a blame culture. Organisations that do aren't aware of the fact and ones that don't will resent the implication. It's a bit like asking if the management is shit or not. :D An open question is fine, of course. It's even better if you can relate the question back to something that the interviewer said earlier in the meeting as this demonstrates that you were actually listening and can think under (mild) pressure.
    Yes I agree. You must ask questions at the end but I do not like the 'blame culture' question either. It sounds like you are looking for negatives within the company which I don't think would go down well. Something like 'I enjoy working in a friendly atmosphere...is it like that here?' would be good. It is obvious they will answer yes but that is irrelevant.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    To be honest even though it might make you a 'stand out' candidate at interview, I wouldn't recommend you wearing a tire. Best to stick to clothes.

:D:D:D
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asking about culture is a good idea.

My favourite question to ask the interviewers is
    "What would you say separates someone who is good in this role, from someone who is truly great in the role?"

It always puts interviewers on the back foot, and it shows that you're interested in not just being a good contributor, but a great one, and you want to know how you could achieve that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    All very true but I'm sure in some case the interviewer makes up their mind within minutes of looking at the candidate.

They are idiots if they do that and have no idea about recruiting.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are idiots if they do that and have no idea about recruiting.

Agreed. Excepting out-of-the-norm occurrences (a candidate showing up in trackie bottoms & a holey tshirt for a professional job), whether a person's shoes are shined or not shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Of course, you use the information to put together an opinion of the candidate as a whole, including her professionalism, the rest of her outfit, her achievements previously, how well she interviews etc.. But to not hire a candidate because her shoes are a little scuffed? That's madness, and you'd likely lose out on a good few candidates that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Excepting out-of-the-norm occurrences (a candidate showing up in trackie bottoms & a holey tshirt for a professional job), whether a person's shoes are shined or not shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Of course, you use the information to put together an opinion of the candidate as a whole, including her professionalism, the rest of her outfit, her achievements previously, how well she interviews etc.. But to not hire a candidate because her shoes are a little scuffed? That's madness, and you'd likely lose out on a good few candidates that way.

Was at a conference today and had a couple of HR managers state they recruited solely on gut feeling. Nothing quantified in any way, no assessment against desired organisational behaviours etc. While they may be good at having a feel for a candidate it struck me as quite risky practice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was at a conference today and had a couple of HR managers state they recruited solely on gut feeling. Nothing quantified in any way, no assessment against desired organisational behaviours etc. While they may be good at having a feel for a candidate it struck me as quite risky practice.

Yes I think you need more than just a feel for a person. You really need to find out if they have the required skills and will fit in well.