Options

Demoralising: Hard to get a job

ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Two concerns:

1. I am already shitting my results or degree classification. I don't know what to do at all. If I pass (third), What do I do? What do I do if I get a 2:2? I am absolutely shitting it. I feel like death. Becoming a solicitor will be hard if I get a pass or 2:2. I don't want that at all. My exams went really bad especially when talking to people after exams completed. My exam were nothing like the past papers. It went awful.
I don't know what I got at the moment, granted and, my results have not come out butI am worried.
From that angle, if I do badly (expected to be honest after exams), where do I go from there?

2. I can no longer rely on family. I need to start earning money.I need to earn and save money for my LPC. I don't want to get money from the bank at all. If I have to, I would rather it was of a lesser amount. I have had jobs previously. It is becoming hard to get a job, now, since I am, apparently, "over-qualified" for the position. I don't know what to do. It is demoralising getting rejected.

Comments

• Options
    LadyChatterboxLadyChatterbox Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Have you never had any part time work during your studies? This would stand you in good stead if you had to take a job somewhere outside the legal profession.

If not then you might have to be prepared to do very low paid work or even voluntary to gain the work experience that many employers look for.

Good luck with your results though :) it might be Ok after all
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Wait and see what your results first before you get too worried. If you do end up with a Desmond or a Douglas then you will be a bit screwed for going into law. Is it possible to re-take?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you never had any part time work during your studies? This would stand you in good stead if you had to take a job somewhere outside the legal profession.

If not then you might have to be prepared to do very low paid work or even voluntary to gain the work experience that many employers look for.

Good luck with your results though :) it might be Ok after all

I did. I quit work so I could concentrate on my third year. Most of it was work experience in the legal profession as a voluntary assistant. I have worked in retail store like Next before.I applied to John Lewis recently, and had an interview. I was told afterwards, I was over-qualified. They recognise that I would have left in a year or two out. They want someone who will stay with them.

I need the money for my LPC. I can't rely on me mam any more as I want and need to be a lot more independent.
    I am planning and will do a Masters and Ph.D. Hopefully! I need money for that.

I am also aware I would need to get on the property ladder (my own home), and I need(want to) have my own law office in a couple of years. . In a couple of years time (aged 26) I don't want to worry about my debt (for LPC, Masters and Phd). I want to worry over my mortgage for my home and my office.

I need to be a millionaire

Thanks, I really doubt I did ok. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Wait and see what your results first before you get too worried. If you do end up with a Desmond or a Douglas then you will be a bit screwed for going into law. Is it possible to re-take?

I think if I do retake- it ends up as a bachelors. It would be without honours and capped at 40% (a third).
    At the moemnt I am doing LLb (with Hons).

I really do not want to do bad. I want to do well at least a 2:1 or a first. My exams went horrible. I did past papers thinking there would be a pattern. Come to the exam, to find something completely different. I knew the minimum amount of information to blag it. I don't think it is enough. :(:(:(:(It is worrying me at the moment. I want to die (not literally like, but you know what I mean).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a similar position to you last year as I could not rely on my parents for support and was coming to the end of my law degree.

I took on agency work for the first month (they didn't even interview me!), then got a position as a trainee legal secretary in a law firm and was very quickly promoted to a paralegal. I would suggest junior and agency work to get a foot in the door and build it up from there.

I am studying for my LPC part-time which allows me to pay £395 monthly installments. I have no loan but also no free time or spare money. It is a good option as it allows you to build up other skills and experience which will help your CV especially if you do not have a strong academic record.

However, I would seriously suggest re-considering entering the legal profession if you get a 2.2. I know this is probably not what you want to hear and a 2.2 may not be a true reflection of your ability or stop you getting a training contract but the LPC is ridiculously oversubscribed. I think that one third of the people who take it never get a t.c. It is NOT a guarantee that one day you will be a solicitor.

If you are sure it is what you want you will need to get really good marks in your modules in order to combat a low degree grade. You will also need to build up strong work experience. I am sure if you are very focused and driven you will be able to do it but it won't come easy. Please make sure it is what you want to do and have a structured plan worked out in order to do it.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who got a 2:2 in law but managed to go on to the LPC. So it's not impossible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did. I quit work so I could concentrate on my third year. Most of it was work experience in the legal profession as a voluntary assistant. I have worked in retail store like Next before.I applied to John Lewis recently, and had an interview. I was told afterwards, I was over-qualified. They recognise that I would have left in a year or two out. They want someone who will stay with them.

I need the money for my LPC. I can't rely on me mam any more as I want and need to be a lot more independent.
    I am planning and will do a Masters and Ph.D. Hopefully! I need money for that.

I am also aware I would need to get on the property ladder (my own home), and I need(want to) have my own law office in a couple of years. . In a couple of years time (aged 26) I don't want to worry about my debt (for LPC, Masters and Phd). I want to worry over my mortgage for my home and my office.

I need to be a millionaire

Thanks, I really doubt I did ok. :(

Wow, plan one thing at a time. Homes and law offices, they will wait. You don't need the added stress of looking that far into the future.

You need to work out what you want. Is it to do your LPC or Masters? If you do a LPC you can take two more modules to convert it also into a masters. I would suggest researching the options open to you fully.

If you want to open your own law office you should be searching for jobs which either have a legal aspect or are related to the area of law that you want to work in. As you are self-reliant though the most important thing is firstly ensuring you have a steady income where ever that may come from.

i set myself a number of little goals such as:

1) working 9-5
    2) in a job where I got to wear a suit
    3) in the legal profession
    4) in an area of law I wanted to practice in
    5) earning over £1,000 a month

I achieved all of those (in that order) within a year. It is about the little steps which are achievable which slowly build up to a bigger picture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Geek wrote: »
    I know someone who got a 2:2 in law but managed to go on to the LPC. So it's not impossible

The institutions providing the LPC will usually offer an LPC- money.
    It is getting a training contract/job at the end of the day that counts. Getting a third or 2:2 seriously damages chances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a similar position to you last year as I could not rely on my parents for support and was coming to the end of my law degree.

I took on agency work for the first month (they didn't even interview me!), then got a position as a trainee legal secretary in a law firm and was very quickly promoted to a paralegal. I would suggest junior and agency work to get a foot in the door and build it up from there.

I am studying for my LPC part-time which allows me to pay £395 monthly installments. I have no loan but also no free time or spare money. It is a good option as it allows you to build up other skills and experience which will help your CV especially if you do not have a strong academic record.

However, I would seriously suggest re-considering entering the legal profession if you get a 2.2. I know this is probably not what you want to hear and a 2.2 may not be a true reflection of your ability or stop you getting a training contract but the LPC is ridiculously oversubscribed. I think that one third of the people who take it never get a t.c. It is NOT a guarantee that one day you will be a solicitor.

If you are sure it is what you want you will need to get really good marks in your modules in order to combat a low degree grade. You will also need to build up strong work experience. I am sure if you are very focused and driven you will be able to do it but it won't come easy. Please make sure it is what you want to do and have a structured plan worked out in order to do it.

I am assuming you got 2:2?

I am going to look at local law firms, and apply for a voluntary position. I work my way from there. I will also apply for Legal secretarial work. My skills that I obtained from work experience can come in handy.
    Hopefully it works out.

If I get a 2:2- what could I do with a 2:2 law degree? Are there other sectors or professions I could enter?

Did you apply part-time LPC? I applied full time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, plan one thing at a time. Homes and law offices, they will wait. You don't need the added stress of looking that far into the future.

You need to work out what you want. Is it to do your LPC or Masters? If you do a LPC you can take two more modules to convert it also into a masters. I would suggest researching the options open to you fully.

If you want to open your own law office you should be searching for jobs which either have a legal aspect or are related to the area of law that you want to work in. As you are self-reliant though the most important thing is firstly ensuring you have a steady income where ever that may come from.

i set myself a number of little goals such as:

1) working 9-5
    2) in a job where I got to wear a suit
    3) in the legal profession
    4) in an area of law I wanted to practice in
    5) earning over £1,000 a month

I achieved all of those (in that order) within a year. It is about the little steps which are achievable which slowly build up to a bigger picture.

Thanks again :)

Those are long term goals.

I want to do and LPC and straight after Masters.

I saved some money (which includes overdraft as well).

I am going to follow those goals you set out. Thank you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again :)

Those are long term goals.

I want to do and LPC and straight after Masters.

I saved some money (which includes overdraft as well).

I am going to follow those goals you set out. Thank you :)

:)

I got a 2.1 but I know a lot of people who started as a Legal Secretary and worked their way up. Remember to check law firms' websites (especially personal injury firms) for latest jobs available and to speculatively apply for roles.

If money is a problem I would suggest doing the LPC and then doing the extra modules which will also give you a masters but I am sure you will work out which is the best option for you :)

I applied for the LPC part-time (way after the deadline) as ill health and some dodgy marks had dented my belief that I would be able to become a solicitor. It was the best decision I ever made as I now have concrete legal experience and my grades went through the roof!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)

I got a 2.1 but I know a lot of people who started as a Legal Secretary and worked their way up. Remember to check law firms' websites (especially personal injury firms) for latest jobs available and to speculatively apply for roles.

If money is a problem I would suggest doing the LPC and then doing the extra modules which will also give you a masters but I am sure you will work out which is the best option for you :)

I applied for the LPC part-time (way after the deadline) as ill health and some dodgy marks had dented my belief that I would be able to become a solicitor. It was the best decision I ever made as I now have concrete legal experience and my grades went through the roof!

:) Thank you. I checked for a few websites, they really need people that are involved in a particular area.
    eg) medical negligence for Beachcroft LLP.
    Personal Injury etc...

I decided, I am going to ask for work experience, as a voluntary assistant. I will ask if they could use this opportunity to train me up and work as a Legal secretary then paralegal.

Well done on your 2:1. I wish, (hopefully) I get a 2:1 (but doubt it). Thank you for advising me.
    I think it is after LPC, 3 extra modules and a dissertation for the masters. I am with the college of law as it is nearer.

You better now? What happened? Dodgy marks?

Thanks again.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Thank you. I checked for a few websites, they really need people that are involved in a particular area.
    eg) medical negligence for Beachcroft LLP.
    Personal Injury etc...

I decided, I am going to ask for work experience, as a voluntary assistant. I will ask if they could use this opportunity to train me up and work as a Legal secretary then paralegal.

Well done on your 2:1. I wish, (hopefully) I get a 2:1 (but doubt it). Thank you for advising me.
    I think it is after LPC, 3 extra modules and a dissertation for the masters. I am with the college of law as it is nearer.

You better now? What happened? Dodgy marks?

Thanks again.:)

Good plan, though be prepared to fight for a salary if any position is looking to move long term. Law firms are not above exploiting people who are desperate to work in law (I found this out at my own expense grrr).

I am better now - mostly :p In my first and second year I had primary hyperparathyroidism. It was caught very late on and was close to being fatal. I had to retake second year (having dropped out before January exams) and had serious problems with my concentration and memory for the year following my operation.

My first year exams were basically a complete write off and in my first exams back my average was 55 :( Luckily I had good summer exam results so ended my second year on 64.5.

I also struggled with epilepsy during uni but was only diagnosed after my finals. I started having fits while suffering form hyperparathyroidism which was part of the reason (apart from general incompetence and the hospital's hatred of students) for the delay in getting diagnosed with either of the illnesses.

I think if I took anything away from those experiences is that if you are determined you can do anything. It may not be the same way other people are doing it but if it works for you then that is good enough. Going through it was crap but coming out the other side and making a success of it feels so good. Even though I have a long way to go I really feel like I have achieved something :)

I wish you all the best with your results. Some of the exams I felt worst about I did the best in :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good plan, though be prepared to fight for a salary if any position is looking to move long term. Law firms are not above exploiting people who are desperate to work in law (I found this out at my own expense grrr).

I am better now - mostly :p In my first and second year I had primary hyperparathyroidism. It was caught very late on and was close to being fatal. I had to retake second year (having dropped out before January exams) and had serious problems with my concentration and memory for the year following my operation.

My first year exams were basically a complete write off and in my first exams back my average was 55 :( Luckily I had good summer exam results so ended my second year on 64.5.

I also struggled with epilepsy during uni but was only diagnosed after my finals. I started having fits while suffering form hyperparathyroidism which was part of the reason (apart from general incompetence and the hospital's hatred of students) for the delay in getting diagnosed with either of the illnesses.

I think if I took anything away from those experiences is that if you are determined you can do anything. It may not be the same way other people are doing it but if it works for you then that is good enough. Going through it was crap but coming out the other side and making a success of it feels so good. Even though I have a long way to go I really feel like I have achieved something :)

I wish you all the best with your results. Some of the exams I felt worst about I did the best in :)

I will. I have applied to a few positions. Hopefully.

I am sorry to hear about that. Glad that your better know. You have achieved a lot. you got a 2:1 despite everything. That is impressive and you have achieved a lot. Well done. Glad that your better now. I wish you luck in the future. It does showcase your determination and passion.

Thanks. I know I did rubbish in those exams. It was just horrible. I am preparing myself for the worst, to be honest Pray for me. It is in God's hands, now.

Thank you again. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to the world of unemployment OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two concerns:

1. I am already shitting my results or degree classification. I don't know what to do at all. If I pass (third), What do I do? What do I do if I get a 2:2? I am absolutely shitting it. I feel like death. Becoming a solicitor will be hard if I get a pass or 2:2. I don't want that at all. My exams went really bad especially when talking to people after exams completed. My exam were nothing like the past papers. It went awful.
    I don't know what I got at the moment, granted and, my results have not come out butI am worried.
    From that angle, if I do badly (expected to be honest after exams), where do I go from there?

2. I can no longer rely on family. I need to start earning money.I need to earn and save money for my LPC. I don't want to get money from the bank at all. If I have to, I would rather it was of a lesser amount. I have had jobs previously. It is becoming hard to get a job, now, since I am, apparently, "over-qualified" for the position. I don't know what to do. It is demoralising getting rejected.

I did law and got a 2:2 last year. It's not the end of the world.

You should read this thread it helped a lot. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1277696&highlight=
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did law and got a 2:2 last year. It's not the end of the world.

You should read this thread it helped a lot. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1277696&highlight=

Thanks :) I read it. I feel a slight hope. What are you doing now? Are you still doing law?

I am not sure at the moment. If I get a 2:2 - is there any point pursuing a career as a solicitor? Should I just give up? What can I do?
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Thanks :) I read it. I feel a slight hope. What are you doing now? Are you still doing law?

I am not sure at the moment. If I get a 2:2 - is there any point pursuing a career as a solicitor? Should I just give up? What can I do?
    OP Sorry if this is a silly question but can't your college/uni give you advice? You can't be the only person in this position surely?

Let us know how you get on -when do you get your results?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you. Just got my uni results and was dreading a Third, lucky I have been awarded a 2:2. I was aiming for a 2:1 due to wanting to be a Speech Therapist through postgraduate study, however illness almost ruined my whole course. There we go, it isn't the end of the world! Don't give up - I myself (possibly different from Law) am looking at all possible extra work I can do, whether paid or unpaid, to brush up my C.V. and references when applying for further study.

The whole looking for a job situation is highly depressing though. I had 4 "no"s in one go a couple of days ago, almost cried. Before uni I could get any minimum wage job straight away, now I've been away I can't even get an interview. I hate hate HATE the term "overqualified" - if you can do a job to a good standard why should you not get it because of spending a few years at university? Sorry, it just gets me really angry, especially when people suggest that I leave my degree off my C.V. I wish I could be more upbeat about the whole "finding a job" thing, I hope you do find something soon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    OP Sorry if this is a silly question but can't your college/uni give you advice? You can't be the only person in this position surely?

Let us know how you get on -when do you get your results?

I get my results in a week and a half.

Dreading it.

I don't know if I am the only person. Everyone I talk to is expecting a first or a 2:1. I know I am going to either get a third or a 2:2 (I ruined my exams).:cry::cry::cry::cry::(:(:(

I tried emailing my tutors only to get a reply saying "just wait for the results". I emailed the career service and told " you have completed your degree therefore no longer considered a student at this university". :/
    I pay £3000+ ^^^ to get those sort of replies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you. Just got my uni results and was dreading a Third, lucky I have been awarded a 2:2. I was aiming for a 2:1 due to wanting to be a Speech Therapist through postgraduate study, however illness almost ruined my whole course. There we go, it isn't the end of the world! Don't give up - I myself (possibly different from Law) am looking at all possible extra work I can do, whether paid or unpaid, to brush up my C.V. and references when applying for further study.

The whole looking for a job situation is highly depressing though. I had 4 "no"s in one go a couple of days ago, almost cried. Before uni I could get any minimum wage job straight away, now I've been away I can't even get an interview. I hate hate HATE the term "overqualified" - if you can do a job to a good standard why should you not get it because of spending a few years at university? Sorry, it just gets me really angry, especially when people suggest that I leave my degree off my C.V. I wish I could be more upbeat about the whole "finding a job" thing, I hope you do find something soon!

Exactly- "Over-qualified" bit.
    2:2 - you looked for voluntary work experience? That is what I am doing at the moment, trying to get work experiences. Then try and get a job as a legal secretary or a paralegal. I am sure there must be an equivalent with Speech therapy.
    Good luck with the future.
    I am sorry to hear about the "no". Keep trying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.
    2:2 - you looked for voluntary work experience? That is what I am doing at the moment, trying to get work experiences. Then try and get a job as a legal secretary or a paralegal. I am sure there must be an equivalent with Speech therapy.
    Good luck with the future.
    I am sorry to hear about the "no". Keep trying.

Sorry to talk about myself again - there is similar things with speech therapy, namely speech therapy assistants. I'm personally looking out for those posts but in the meantime just looking out for any paying job. It's tough at the moment for everyone, so once you get over the initial disappointment you just have to brush yourself off and keep trying. I've just got accepted to do some voluntary work with a Cancer charity, which is great for me as it will get me out of the house, it's something personal to myself and (although for me the least important part) it can reflect well on a C.V. or such. Again sorry for the high-jacking, I really wish you the best OP, although it's a cliche something will come along eventually!
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I get my results in a week and a half.

Dreading it.

I don't know if I am the only person. Everyone I talk to is expecting a first or a 2:1. I know I am going to either get a third or a 2:2 (I ruined my exams).:cry::cry::cry::cry::(:(:(

I tried emailing my tutors only to get a reply saying "just wait for the results". I emailed the career service and told " you have completed your degree therefore no longer considered a student at this university". :/
    I pay £3000+ ^^^ to get those sort of replies.

Your tutors can't do anything until the results are published they are not allowed to tell students what they have got . It is a University policy and not your tutors being unhelpful. There is no point them discussing your options with you just now as you don't know what you have, also they are probably still very busy with other exams and results and have time set aside on results day to discuss with students their options. Sorry I work at a University and I get so fed up with students bugging me to tell me their results before they are offically released when they know I am not allowed to discuss them until after the University has released them.

You are still a student I thought until the last day of term so I don't understand why your careers service said that to you.

I know it's hard but you just have to be patient and you certainly won't be the only person thinking like this. A lot of it with other people is bravado they are probably all worrying just as much as you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Your tutors can't do anything until the results are published they are not allowed to tell students what they have got . It is a University policy and not your tutors being unhelpful. There is no point them discussing your options with you just now as you don't know what you have, also they are probably still very busy with other exams and results and have time set aside on results day to discuss with students their options. Sorry I work at a University and I get so fed up with students bugging me to tell me their results before they are offically released when they know I am not allowed to discuss them until after the University has released them.

You are still a student I thought until the last day of term so I don't understand why your careers service said that to you.

I know it's hard but you just have to be patient and you certainly won't be the only person thinking like this. A lot of it with other people is bravado they are probably all worrying just as much as you.

I understand from the tutor aspect. I admit I emailed him so many times-I am worried. I know I ****ed up exam badly (I know it). I understand how frustrated you and tutors are. I apologise, it is hard not knowing or what to do if that certain outcome occurs.

Apparently, end of term means end of May. Since it is June and I completed my degree- I am not classified as a "student". It is nonsense. I feel annoyed to be honest since I can't get advice despite paying a ridiculous sum of £3000+.

I reckon those people will get a 2:1 or a first. They are clever. I am dumb as a stick in comparison.

Anyway, Thanks for your advice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Sorry to talk about myself again - there is similar things with speech therapy, namely speech therapy assistants. I'm personally looking out for those posts but in the meantime just looking out for any paying job. It's tough at the moment for everyone, so once you get over the initial disappointment you just have to brush yourself off and keep trying. I've just got accepted to do some voluntary work with a Cancer charity, which is great for me as it will get me out of the house, it's something personal to myself and (although for me the least important part) it can reflect well on a C.V. or such. Again sorry for the high-jacking, I really wish you the best OP, although it's a cliche something will come along eventually!
    It is ok. Use this thread to at least get help and motivation. It is there. It is similar sort of circumstances, I suppose.
    I rang all morning- no replies. I feel a bit down. I am going to keep on trying.