No idea of what I want to do in life....

ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:(:(
I have no idea of what I want to do in life. I am confused. I feel really depressed.

I am studying law and I hate it. I don't enjoy it. I don't like it. I really hate it. The sad thing is all I know is law, I got tons of legal experience -( volunteering, placements, etc...).
I never really set my heart on law. I picked it because of my parents.
Then again, I did have a choice, I chose law. I am sticking to it and putting 100% effort in it because it is something. At least, I got a path to follow- if that makes sense.

Which is why I am confused. For me, at least I got a career path to follow, a future but then again, I am doing something that I don't enjoy or like.

I have no idea what I want to do in life. :(

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get your qualifications in place, there will be many varied and differing opportunities for you.
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Get your qualifications in place, there will be many varied and differing opportunities for you.

I will get my degree and am going to work hard at it. The question is, what will I do after? I have no idea what I want to do.

I got an LPC place next year then after that I am trainee solicitor. It is something that means I have a career at the end of it.

I am doing something that I hate... :(
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will get my degree and am going to work hard at it. The question is, what will I do after? I have no idea what I want to do.

I got an LPC place next year then after that I am trainee solicitor. It is something that means I have a career at the end of it.

I am doing something that I hate... :(

deffo finish your quals.

what do you enjoy doing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deffo finish your quals.

what do you enjoy doing?

Apart from being lazy, I feel kinda weird saying this but I always want to do something in television, create new drama or sommat and act.

I got really good idea for a new drama show. I can image it being on screen. I am not sure how to go about writing it etc...

I am, also, reluctant to go ahead with it. What if it never works out?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from being lazy, I feel kinda weird saying this but I always want to do something in television, create new drama or sommat and act.

I got really good idea for a new drama show. I can image it being on screen. I am not sure how to go about writing it etc...

Hey we have a hobby in common - being lazy :D

Never say never! It wont work out if you dont try. You could start writing in your spare time? Easier said than done though when studying... You could try and get a law related job in a production company and get into it that way? Or once you have finished go and do a creative writing course?
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My advice would be:
    - finish your degree
    - but begin looking now at other job prospects. Something like getting involved in TV may involve internships which are unpaid or voluntary work. So you might need to look for a job to support you financially whilst you do that, which might involve shift work/anti-social hours
    - get involved in a local drama society as they might be grateful for somebody who is interested in drama. One of my local theatres offers writing workshops on a regular basis, there will probably be something near you. It's not TV, but it's a start and you make contacts like that

Just because you have done law does not mean you have to be a lawyer. Law is a very demanding course which develops lots of skills that many employers would be interested in. You're presumably at least 21 now (or will be in the next few months) - time to do something you enjoy and not because your parents want you to. The likelihood is they'd prefer to see you doing something you enjoy anyway.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you have any hint that you might actually be good at writing drama? Do you have any contacts in the industry? Have you ever been involved in drama, e.g. directing, acting?

Get your qualification, get a job, then start writing. At least if it doesn't work out, you'll still be earning a living.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey we have a hobby in common - being lazy :D

Never say never! It wont work out if you dont try. You could start writing in your spare time? Easier said than done though when studying... You could try and get a law related job in a production company and get into it that way? Or once you have finished go and do a creative writing course?

lool

I got everything set up for me. I worked really hard (even though I don't like law) to get training contract etc...
    I never found time to sit down and write- not sure how to start to be honest...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be:
    - finish your degree
    - but begin looking now at other job prospects. Something like getting involved in TV may involve internships which are unpaid or voluntary work. So you might need to look for a job to support you financially whilst you do that, which might involve shift work/anti-social hours
    - get involved in a local drama society as they might be grateful for somebody who is interested in drama. One of my local theatres offers writing workshops on a regular basis, there will probably be something near you. It's not TV, but it's a start and you make contacts like that

Just because you have done law does not mean you have to be a lawyer. Law is a very demanding course which develops lots of skills that many employers would be interested in. You're presumably at least 21 now (or will be in the next few months) - time to do something you enjoy and not because your parents want you to. The likelihood is they'd prefer to see you doing something you enjoy anyway.

I am going to finish off my degree. I am nearly 21.

I feel like my experience has been mostly law and it is all I know. My parents want me to do law. It is pretty scary going up against Asian parents.

I live in a very small village. There isn't any theatres. The nearest ones are in Liverpool/Manchester.I could commute. It is a start. I will look into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Do you have any hint that you might actually be good at writing drama? Do you have any contacts in the industry? Have you ever been involved in drama, e.g. directing, acting?

Get your qualification, get a job, then start writing. At least if it doesn't work out, you'll still be earning a living.

I know what my drama will be about. I know about the story lines. I know how it will start. I got an idea. I am not sure how to go about it.
    I don't have contacts. Acting- school plays, drama. I was praised for it. I did feel happy and at ease just acting at school. That's all I done. I never went beyond that.

I suppose so.I might just do that.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what my drama will be about. I know about the story lines. I know how it will start. I got an idea. I am not sure how to go about it.
    I don't have contacts. Acting- school plays, drama. I was praised for it. I did feel happy and at ease just acting at school. That's all I done. I never went beyond that.

I suppose so.I might just do that.

You're only 21. I'm sure that seems dead old to you, but it's not. I think it's great when people get to do what they want, I wish everyone could, and you're really lucky in that you'll have a qualification that can support you while you try out different things. Set your life up in two tracks - the one that gets you a bit of money, and increases your options, and the one that gets you what you really want to do. Hopefully, if all goes well, the two tracks will merge, but if not, there's loads of other options to try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing is stopping you doing this as well as finishing your degree. There are lots of famous comedians who were teachers for instance.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/writing/tips_tvdrama.shtml
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+write+a+tv+drama&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#pq=how+to+write+a+tv+drama&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=1&gs_id=b&xhr=t&q=How+to+write+a+tv+drama&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&client=firefox-a&hs=GFS&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=How+to+write+a+tv+drama&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=f&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=53cab6a3e696b7d7&biw=1024&bih=630
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+to+do+with+a+law+degree&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=What+can+I+do+with+a+law+degree%3F&pbx=1&oq=What+can+I+do+with+a+law+degree%3F&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=33520l47652l0l49726l38l26l3l6l7l3l1647l17885l0.1.2.3.1.9.5.4.1l32l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=53cab6a3e696b7d7&biw=1024&bih=630
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jun/24/law-degree
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to finish off my degree. I am nearly 21.

I feel like my experience has been mostly law and it is all I know. My parents want me to do law. It is pretty scary going up against Asian parents.

I live in a very small village. There isn't any theatres. The nearest ones are in Liverpool/Manchester.I could commute. It is a start. I will look into it.

You'll likely find there are nearer, smaller theatres to you than in Liverpool and Manchester. My nearest theatre is not in a major city :)
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people hate their jobs and if you drop out, you will end up working in a shop or something where the public will treat you like crap on the bottom of their shoe and you will hate that even more. Keep at your job and cultivate hobbies on the side like other people have mentioned.

Theres a lot of people in this country who would kill for a well paid 9-5 job let alone a job at all, once you are paying a mortgage etc you will see it is a means to an end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though you are studying law, you can pick a job that got nothing to do with law. It is more important that you know what you want to do, what's missing to hinder you from develop it as your career and take courses to acquire the related knowledge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Ah, that old quandary. What to do when the weight of society would have you doing something meaningless, worthless, even immoral? The way society treats Law, Medicine, Engineering doesn't betray the underlying truths that are a part of such practices: the degeneration of the human in favour of the smooth running of the machine. But what happens when these lowly humans venture to ask 'why am I a part of this?' 'what value is there in vainly following what society says is good for me?' 'Yes, Law, Medicine, or Engineering may well bring me money, "security", a position within society which is respected, but what respect do I have in myself when I blindly follow the guidance of society? Where is the individual in all of this?'

Permit me to quote Nietzsche:

'Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly: "I seek God! I seek God!" - As many of those who did not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter. Has he got lost? asked one. Did he lose his way like a child? asked another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? emigrated? - Thus they yelled and laughed.

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him - you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon?

"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

Here the madman fell silent and looked again at his listeners; and they, too, were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern on the ground, and it broke into pieces and went out. "I have come too early," he said then: "my time is not yet. This tremendous event is still on its way, still wandering; it has not yet reached the ears of men."

It has been related further that on the same day the madman forced his way into several churches and there struck up his requiem aeternam deo. Led out and called to account, he is said always to have replied nothing but: 'What after all are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchers of God?"' - Nietzsche GS 125

Our entire horizon has been sponged away! And for what? For this bourgeois nightmare where only the acquisition of capital gives us purpose, gives us drive (the family seems to be taking a back seat for people my age)? And the result? We put on hold the real questions in life, questions of real and worthy value. Where is our ideology today? Where, in this age of supposed enlightenment and knowledge, is our drive to overcome Man, to overcome society? Who now actively engages in real modes of 'self-creation' under the strain, the pressure to conform to this society and its petty values? What's worse, to be sane in a world that is insane? To literally see the mindlessness is people's actions and to reproach oneself for noticing it, for being privy to true nature of human action and society? But in our age, shouldn't we be looking to greater things?

'God is dead'. Our two thousand year myth is slowly being unraveled. We thus find ourselves in a unique position in history, one in which our entire value system can be challenged, and one in which the teleology of our lives has gone. God is no longer that north star which we guide ourselves by. Now we have only ourselves to turn to, and what happens when we find the human all too human character of ourselves? As Nietzsche has it, 'what is nihilism today if not this: we have grown tired of man?' And we grow tired of him because there is nothing to fear from him anymore, and nothing that he aspires to. Our whole horizon has been sponged away.

My advice? Learn what the philosophers such as Nietzsche has to say about this 'post-modern' condition we are driving towards, and take charge of your life in a serious and a profound way, a meaningful way, much more meaningful than any lawyer will ever be. There is no answer they can directly give: this is the answer you need to provide (and not your parents, school, university, friends, lovers, siblings, God or government).

There are many of us like you who look at our lives and despair as to what it is becoming, and what it will likely become. If you're interested in the topic of self and society a recommend watching Rick Roderick's excellent lectures on youtube. Here's one to get you going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vER18N4y8&feature=related
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting a drama commissioned is very difficult to do. I have no doubt television stations get inundated with scripts every day, most of which go in the bin. Have you written anything before? Have you had an unbiased critique of it? As with a lot of creative fields, many people think they have a natural flair for something, when in actuality nothing could be further from the truth (think x factor). Having said, you may of course be incredibly gifted, but on the off chance you are not, finish your studies, that way if your career of choice is a massive flop, at least you'll have something else to fall back on.