Options

Is Leicester really a fitting resting place for Richard III?

Comments

• Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an interview with the Camden New Journal, Michael Ibsen said "As long as he has a decent burial space and people are respectful to his memory then I'm happy wherever he goes".
    So the claim on a Leics website would seem to be false, wouldn't it.
  • Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moondew wrote: »
    In an interview with the Camden New Journal, Michael Ibsen said "As long as he has a decent burial space and people are respectful to his memory then I'm happy wherever he goes".
    So the claim on a Leics website would seem to be false, wouldn't it.
    My goodness, that's very interesting, isn't it? That's a real find, moondew - well done. Inspired by your example, with Michael Ibsen dealt with I did some digging around of my own for Leslie Ibsen. I typed 'Leslie Ibsen Richard III' into Google and perused the results. You'll never guess what I found:
    Richard III's Vancouver Island descendant happy his remains will stay put

The Nanoose Bay descendant of the family of King Richard III is glad the remains of her 500-year-old ancestor will stay in the English Midlands city in which they were found.

... the Chapter of York issued a statement ceding claim to the body to Leicester. Its website said it supports the Chapter of Leicester’s wish to reinter Richard in Leicester Cathedral.

When that happen early next year, Nanoose Bay’s Leslie Ibsen plans to be there.

“I’m happy,” Ibsen said. “The Battle of Bosworth was outside Leicester. He was buried in Leicester, under Greyfriars Church.”

"I understand he had big ties to York, but really, if he had been found in the middle of nowhere that would be one thing, but it was Greyfriars Church,” she said. “And it was the University of Leicester that was involved, and that was fair.”

Link: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/richard-iii-s-vancouver-island-descendant-happy-his-remains-will-stay-put-1.73072

Therefore
    Which descendants have said they want a Leicester interment?
    Michael and Leslie Ibsen.

would seem, on its face, to be patently incorrect. Fascinating. Just like the Camden article's mention of Mr Ibsen's degree of committment to the cause:
    Mr Ibsen, embarrassed by all the interest, said he only occasionally follows the story on his laptop.
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My words were: 'have indicated they want or are quite happy with a Leicester reburial'.

This is consistent with the two articles, including the Mercury one. Indeed I took my info from them. Michael seems to have got rather fed up with answering this question and I can't blame him.

Now they aren't out campaigning for a Leicester reburial, but then again they don't have to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    They aren't out campaigning for a Leicester reburial, but then again they don't have to.
    That depends very much on who you ask. I doubt if a few posters here - I could, but won't, name names - would agree ;)
  • Options
    DPSDPS Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That depends very much on who you ask. I doubt if a few posters here - I could, but won't, name names - would agree ;)

What makes you think that anyone believes that they must be out campaigning, I don't know. I can't recall reading anything like that in this thread. Nowhere have I said that they should be out campaigning, just that if they feel strongly enough about the situation, then they may try to take legal action.

Based on how it looks with this information, two definitely want him at York, one doesn't mind either way, and one is happy with Leicester.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DPS wrote: »
    What makes you think that anyone believes that they must be out campaigning, I don't know.
    I seem to recall a legal challenge was mooted yesterday? Which suggests some people are taking the fact that the decision didn't go their way very, very seriously indeed.
    I've written to the Ministry of Justice and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, just saying that the fate of such a nationally important find shouldn't be in the hands of the University of Leicester, although I suspect that only a legal challenge will make any difference now.
    I wonder if members of the public can challenge. If enough people chipped in with donations to hire a lawyer, and took it to court.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as he is given the burial he is entitled to as a Catholic it probably does not matter. It would be an insult otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall a legal challenge was mooted yesterday? Which suggests some people are taking the fact that the decision didn't go their way very, very seriously indeed.

Your first quote isn't one of mine, and the second, I was speculating as to whether members of the public in general could mount a legal challenge, not insisting that his descendants should. As I did explain in my next post, which you didn't respond to.

It would seem that this thread has been edited a bit, because my reply doesn't seem to be here any more. Some other posts have gone too. :confused:

At any rate, this disagreement isn't about people wanting things to go their way, it's that there are many people who feel that the King's wishes in life, and subsequent burial place are the only things that matter, and going against them is morally wrong.

That's certainly how I feel - if Richard has expressed a desire to remain in Leicester after his death, then I would be supporting his burial there. But he didn't, he wanted to be in York. And that's why I feel strongly that he should be.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    As long as he is given the burial he is entitled to as a Catholic it probably does not matter. It would be an insult otherwise.

He's already had a catholic burial.

I would think he'll be re-interred with a catholic blessing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more a case of 'MP that no one has ever heard of with no interest in Richard III whatever jumps on the bandwagon to get his name in the papers.'
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For gawd's sake he's dead! and has been long enough to get over the fact, and if he is still in a 'place' to care, he is most probably laughing out loud, might even be in touch enough to just LOL!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

DPS, I've sent you a PM :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    For gawd's sake he's dead! and has been long enough to get over the fact
    Apparently not. For some anyways :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, got it. Just replied. :)
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, got it. Just replied. :)

Thanks for letting us know, guys.

Eagerly awaiting Kapellmeister's response...
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I think it's more a case of 'MP that no one has ever heard of with no interest in Richard III whatever jumps on the bandwagon to get his name in the papers.'

Out of interest has the local MP said anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know, guys.

Eagerly awaiting Kapellmeister's response...

Response to what? PM's are private.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Response to what? PM's are private.

Of course. What was I thinking? :D
  • Options
    kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Of course. What was I thinking? :D

More attention seeking from you know who! Perhaps he's planning a covert op to retrieve the remains and whisk them off to York.:D
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posting these little messages does smack of these two trying to make the rest of us think, "Oh no, they've found out something, like Kapellmeister finding R3's last will and testament under his bed".
    Pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    collit wrote: »
    Posting these little messages does smack of these two trying to make the rest of us think, "Oh no, they've found out something, like Kapellmeister finding R3's last will and testament under his bed".
    Pathetic.
    Yes! :D
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually if he did look under his bed, he'll find he hasn't got a pot to piss in.
  • Options
    kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    collit wrote: »
    Actually if he did look under his bed, he'll find he hasn't got a pot to piss in.

Perhaps he's starting a collection!:D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    OMFG SpamJavelin, Kramstan collit and dome!!! :D:D:D I av jst sent u a PM - LOLZ its like so cool lmfao! :cool: :D:D :)

(I haven't by the way)