Options

Dental treatment abroad

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have seen adverts for a, supposedly, reputable company offering dental implants and bridges for about a quarter of the prices charged in the UK even allowing for flights and accommodation.

Does anybody here have any experience or knowledge of such companies offering similiar schemes - are they genuine, any pitfalls to watch out for?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wouldn't for one reason unless you are VERY lucky you will get issues.
    things like implants can often mean a bone graft to make sure the jaw is strong enough to take the implant. yes its insanely expensive over here but the risk factors of travelling away then getting complications you could endup paying twice and then losing everything you had done.

If you do decide its best to check around do some searches of other patients stories
    just make sure they are Genuine and not ones posted as part of the sales pitch.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    l echo the above post. Take a look here http://dentalcpdblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/dentistry-abroad-gives-the-irish-hepatitis-c-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-some-may-well-feel-justified-saying-now/ and NHS dental hospitals quite frequently end up have to repair painful, botched procedures that were done abroad including within the European Union.

I personally would never go there because the risks are too great so I'd suggest trying to confine the search within the UK where there's a relatively high standard of regulation.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Don't go abroad under any circumstances and don't get it done on the cheap here either. Only go to a dentist where you can see genuine written impartial recommendations from customers and preferably someone you know or someone whose opinion you trust.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rates for dental work are generally lower in Easter Europe and if you get a good dentist and a reputable firm it can be quite economical.

But....

Those lower prices are accompanied by weaker (or non existent) regulation and can make it hard to be sure that the dentist is adequately qualified and that his practice is managed well. In the worst case there can be a risk of poor standards of hygiene, with attendant risks of infection or even unqualified dentists botching the procedure.

I'd only recommend it if you can find someone who has had the same procedure to you carried out by the exact same dentist. if you really must go down this route, ask the dentist for a copy of his qualifications and professional memberships and contact the issuing bodies to confirm they are genuine. Also do some research to check that the bodies in question are proper educational or professional bodies recognized by the countries' government, and preferably the EU (http://www.eudental.eu/index.php?ID=3873)
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had loads of dental work done in Goa, India and never had a problem. I have had 2 bridges and about 4 crowns and know lots of people who have had similar work done.
    Did check out the dentist that does mine (as far as possible) and he has lots of qualifications etc. Also know people who have had implants and veneers without problems so not all countries are to be dismissed without checking.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my cousin had dental work done in India as well without problems. She was recommended the dentist through family and had planned on going over there anyway.

However as mentioned, regulation is virtually non-existent and unless you know somebody how do you find a trustworthy dentist ?
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The complications and possibly needing to go back for further work would put me off too :(
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The complications and possibly needing to go back for further work would put me off too :(

I never had any complications and don't need an excuse for another holiday. :D
    It did make it easier that most of us were there for a few weeks or months - when I want some more doing will have no hesitation going back there just for the dentistry - far cheaper than UK - in some cases the difference pays for the holiday.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    I never had any complications and don't need an excuse for another holiday. :D
    It did make it easier that most of us were there for a few weeks or months - when I want some more doing will have no hesitation going back there just for the dentistry - far cheaper than UK - in some cases the difference pays for the holiday.

ha fair enough :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Personally I wouldn't but as others have said - before deciding it is wise to carry out thorough checks on qualifications etc. and also look for recommendations and testemonials.

Good luck
  • Options
    Angelica1973Angelica1973 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Hi

Does anyone have any experience with this company ?

http://www.kreativdentalclinic.co.uk/

My father is considering getting dental work done with them. He's got the information pack in the post, slick DVD etc., but doesn't have access to the internet, so I'm posting to ask if anyone has used them ?

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Does anyone have any experience with this company ?

http://www.kreativdentalclinic.co.uk/

My father is considering getting dental work done with them. He's got the information pack in the post, slick DVD etc., but doesn't have access to the internet, so I'm posting to ask if anyone has used them ?

Thanks

I run a google search and found this :o

http://badbudapestdentist.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    Angelica1973Angelica1973 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much for posting this, I honestly had a really bad feeling about it, but how my google search didn't find this, thank you so much.

I don't live in the same country as my parents, they can't use a computer, and when they told me that the info pack arrived and all these testimonials....well, we all know someone who has done their own reviews on Trip Advisor...it set alarm bells ringing. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Don't get me started on the one in Turkey they were talking about !

Appreciate you taking the time to look and help.

"A"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for posting this, I honestly had a really bad feeling about it, but how my google search didn't find this, thank you so much.

I don't live in the same country as my parents, they can't use a computer, and when they told me that the info pack arrived and all these testimonials....well, we all know someone who has done their own reviews on Trip Advisor...it set alarm bells ringing. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Don't get me started on the one in Turkey they were talking about !

Appreciate you taking the time to look and help.

"A"

no problem at all If I find anything else will post
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »
    I have seen adverts for a, supposedly, reputable company offering dental implants and bridges for about a quarter of the prices charged in the UK even allowing for flights and accommodation.

Does anybody here have any experience or knowledge of such companies offering similiar schemes - are they genuine, any pitfalls to watch out for?

Cheers

My wife was told some 15 or more years back that the only answer to her dental problem was to have implants effected.
    I found a place online at Victoria and took her there for an assessment, they X-Rayed her gums and said that they would do the necessary for £25,000.
    Remember, this was around the year 2000, I said, "Don't call me, I'll call you."
    To cut a long story short, I eventually found a Belgian dentist with a practice in Portugal, he did the work for £11,000, my wife has had no trouble since, and is perfectly happy looking like a movie star when she smiles.
    Her treatment involved three visits, we did this by three long weekend stays, even after flights, staying in a hotel, or renting apartments etc. I still came way out in front, plus had three mini vacations.
    I would add that the € exchange rate to the £ was very favourable then, so it seemed a hell of a lot better too.
    I'm unsure of the rules on DS, so I won't post the Belgian guy's details here, but if you PM me I'll give them to you.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had dental work done in the Czech Republic (Kromeriz)

Their prices are amazing and they use state of the art equipment
    CEREC by Sirona Dental Systems is the world's only system for the fabrication of all ceramic dental restorations in one office visit. With CEREC at your dentist's side, you can be in and out in a single visit with a permanent, all ceramic crown, onlay, or veneer! For you, the patient, this means fewer injections, less drilling, and less time out of your hectic schedule for dental care. We are proud to announce that we use Cerec in our office!

http://www.aldenteclinic.co.uk/
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my pal goes to Thailand every couple of years and gets all her dental work done there no problems quality work for a fraction of the UK price
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Had to share...this guy would be pretty cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ol-RyYnTD4
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    I had dental work done in the Czech Republic (Kromeriz)

Their prices are amazing and they use state of the art equipment
    CEREC by Sirona Dental Systems is the world's only system for the fabrication of all ceramic dental restorations in one office visit. With CEREC at your dentist's side, you can be in and out in a single visit with a permanent, all ceramic crown, onlay, or veneer! For you, the patient, this means fewer injections, less drilling, and less time out of your hectic schedule for dental care. We are proud to announce that we use Cerec in our office!

http://www.aldenteclinic.co.uk/

I would agree with this. I have a neighbour from CR and she always goes home for her dental treatment rather than have it done here.

I was on a course with some Lithuanian women and they also went back to their own country for treatment. They said dental work here was nowhere near as good as in their country and also cost a lot more here.