Tactical Voting To Keep The Tories Out &

Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are you scared of. A lot of countrys have ID cards.

They also have armed police and a lot of other undesirable things.

This is not yet a police state despite the Labour party.

In a free society, no one should obliged to carry any identification with them at any time and should only have to identify themselves if under arrest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    They also have armed police and a lot of other undesirable things.

This is not yet a police state despite the Labour party.

In a free society, no one should obliged to carry any identification with them at any time and should only have to identify themselves if under arrest.

We have armed police. :confused:
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    The Lib Dems are useless, and will not gain power. And why keep the Tories out? unless of course you live on benefits. 5 more years of a government that have lied, robbed the pension funds, sold our gold reserves when the market was at it's lowest, fought tooth and nail to keep expenses secret, lied about the Lisbon Treaty and the Iraq war and have done what every Labour government has done, bankrupted the country.

God help us if we get them back.

Um Mr Cashcroft?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »
    Um Mr Cashcroft?

Lord Paul?

Mr Mittal?

Unite union?

Labour + Tory = exactly the same
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cashcroft agreed to change his tax status to enter the Lords and he didnt. The unions have always funded Labour.

Maybe it is time for state funding of political parties. At least all would be on a level playing field.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it is time for state funding of political parties. At least all would be on a level playing field.

Great more taxpayers cash in the parties trough.

Even better how about a legally binding limit on how much can be spent on campaigning. Same effect minus the pocket picking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Something I can agree with you about. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even better how about a legally binding limit on how much can be spent on campaigning. Same effect minus the pocket picking.

Given the recent history, how on earth would they stop the fat, fat, fat cats giving to the tories. It would never be transparent. The tories are by far the worst culprits. Labour relies on the unions, but the unions themselves exist purely on subscriptions from their members. The tories get millions in hand outs from rich individuals wanting influence on policy.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see a hung parliament - this one. Preferably the Great Gordo (well know escapologist) hung by his gonads from a lamp post. :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is nothing in that idea to stop campaigning to be done on any level. I could campaign on a local level and not fall fowl of any regulations. It's called freedom of speech.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing in that idea to stop campaigning to be done on any level. I could campaign on a local level and not fall fowl of any regulations. It's called freedom of speech.

Absolutely, voluntary work you choose to do in your own time is your own business as long as I don't have to pay for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duplipost
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    the Great Gordo (well know escapologist) hung by his gonads from a lamp post. :D:D:D

Sadly impossible owing to his being bereft in the gonad department.

Nice idea though.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Frankly - I am more likely to tactically vote to cause the maximum amount of damage to Labour - I want the Tories in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Given the recent history, how on earth would they stop the fat, fat, fat cats giving to the tories. It would never be transparent. The tories are by far the worst culprits. Labour relies on the unions, but the unions themselves exist purely on subscriptions from their members. The tories get millions in hand outs from rich individuals wanting influence on policy.

Since 2001 the unions have given cash donations to Labour of £27,112,047.05 and in kind £ 147,075.22 with Unite alone giving cash donations of £ 10,839,528.73 and
    £ 287,023.10 in kind.

Since 2001 Bearwood Holdings owned by Lord Ashcroft has given cash donations to the Conservatives of £1,602,365.69 and in kind of £ 3,535,419.46

Since 2001 Lord Ashcroft personally has given donations to the Conservatives in cash of £ 36,996.09 and in kind of
    £ 74,730.00

The transparency re all donations can be found at the Electoral Commision Website
    http://registers.electoralcommission.org.uk/regulatory-issues/registers.cfm

So looking at those totals with my maths at this time of day mean that the Unions have given the Labour party over £27 million pounds in just under 9 years and Lord Ashcroft £5.2 million pounds.

And to add a little bit towards the argument re influence over parties I took this from the Unite Union website which can be found at:

http://www.unitetheunion.com/resources/political_department.aspx

'Welcome to the Political Department pages. By clicking on the various sections here you can find out more about how your union represents your interests as a Unite member in the corridors of power from your local councils through to the Labour MPs and ministers in Whitehall and also how we operate with the Labour MEPs in Europe.

You can also see our new General Election website at http://www.unite4labour.org/ where as a Unite member you can get involved talking to other Unite members.

Unite is affiliated to the Labour Party. We play an active role at all levels of the party and, with Labour in government, lobby for changes to laws and regulations at all levels to ensure your voice is heard.

We support Labour candidates at elections and will actively campaign for the return of a Labour government when the General Election comes. Whilst we are not uncritical cheerleaders of the Labour government we do believe your interests and the interests of our great union are best served by Labour being in government rather than opposition. Many members will recall that it was the 18 years of Conservative government that created many of the problems we are still trying to put right now.

Through Labour in government we now have trade union recognition in the workplace and the ability to talk with ministers directly. These two factors alone mean we have a much greater say than we ever did have under the Conservatives.

On top of that it is Labour in government which is investing through the recession to keep jobs and skills, to try to ensure people do not lose their homes and to tackle unemployment to ensure there is growth to bolster tax revenues. This builds on 12 years of changes which have seen the national minimum wage, infinitely better parental leave arrangements, guaranteed 4 weeks holiday plus public holidays and rights at work which the Conservatives opposed.

In these pages you can find out about who is representing Unite members in the UK and EU Parliaments and the political campaigns on workplace issues. The Political Department is active in all areas the union is active in. We value your input as a member and encourage you to have your say on the workplace and political issues that affect you.

We positively encourage all Unite members to be members of the Labour Party and to become union delegates at a local level. Through this activity we seek to influence the policy and campaigning direction of the party.'

:(
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    How exactly was Britain more divided under the Tories? The gap between rich and poor is far higher under Labour.

But the general level of affluence is higher - the majority have a better standard of living now than they did in the 1980s so although there are many more super rich you have to look at the actual level of wealth not just the gap.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, if you want to wreck the recovery.:(

Another know-it-all with a crystal ball. Seriously your scaremongering doesn't work on me, however I'd happily take a chance with the Tories, a clean slate as you will, than what is evolving into the New Nasty Party as Labour are.

If voting Tory will wreck the recovery, then please give me the wrecking ball. ;)
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

My natural leaning is towards Labour, but in my constituency, Labour is very much the third party and doesn't have a hope in hell of winning, so I will vote Lib Dem.

Good for you! I wouldn't want to live in a Labour constituency either.:D
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    On what basis do you make that declaration?

We have moutains and mountains of evidence as to the utter incompetence of Labour and Tories. The LibDems have not had an opportunity to prove themselves useless or otherwise.

They've had plenty of chance at local level and proved themselves (to coin a phrase) useless.
    Forum Member
    But the general level of affluence is higher - the majority have a better standard of living now than they did in the 1980s so although there are many more super rich you have to look at the actual level of wealth not just the gap.

If that's true it's only because Labour have been giving hand-outs to people who don't need them (but now don't wish to lose them thank you very much). It's called political bribery.

As far as I am concerned Britain has never been more divided than it is now.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have armed police. :confused:

For special duties only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour and the Tories are duplicates of each other and you are gullible as hell if you think the Tories will be any better than Labour, especially with Osborne as chancellor.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcourse, but my mission is to not let the tories in. I remember the two recessions, the under funding of the public services and a more divided Britain under them.

Of course you conveniently ignore the fact that they had to rebuild the country following the complete mess Wilson / Callaghan left it in and guess what ... another Labour government is likely to end in the same way and leave the next Government to clean up after them! I almost hope Labour do stay in power and reap what they have sown. I don't intend to be here to see it though!
  • manrowmanrow Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    Of course you conveniently ignore the fact that they had to rebuild the country following the complete mess Wilson / Callaghan left it in and guess what ... another Labour government is likely to end in the same way and leave the next Government to clean up after them! I almost hope Labour do stay in power and reap what they have sown. I don't intend to be here to see it though!

I agree with most of your post!

However I caution anyone against tactical voting as it is vital that you get the government you seek. You certainly cannot complain if Labour get back in, there have been more than enough posts demonstrating thier total incompetence so get rid of them soon.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manrow wrote: »
    However I caution anyone against tactical voting as it is vital that you get the government you seek. You certainly cannot complain if Labour get back in, there have been more than enough posts demonstrating thier total incompetence so get rid of them soon.

You are absolutely right. I just think ANY government which does what must be done to deal with the huge problems this country has is going to be extremely unpopular and would hate to see an opposition Labour party coming out of this smelling of roses!
This discussion has been closed.