Options

SKY HD on an EDTV plasma

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
Hi , just read that sky hd are now taking pre orders.
I was hoping to order the system myself but i dont know
if it will be compatible with my EDTV so i hope someone here can confirm this for me.
Although my display is 852*480 my tv will accept an hd input of 720p (1280*720p) via the dvi slot however i am a little unsure if 1280*720 is the resolution that the sky box will output in.My dvi is hdcp compatible so i am persuming that i can just buy an hdmi to dvi lead or adapter ?
Also does anyone know if the non hd channels will be upscaled via sky hd therefore making the picture quality better than the standard sky digital.

p.s i have an xbox 360 running at 1280*720p and that works fine ,picture quality is amazing.

Comments

• Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    If your TV can, as you say, accept a 720P signal, then you will be fine.

An HDMI to DVI adapter sounds fine, but you will of course need some audio leads too, as DVI does not feature an audio input.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks for the reply

just to recap ,was i correct in assuming that 1280*720 is the resolution that will be used by sky ? and do we know the hard drive size yet or as i asked before if the other channels will be upscaled?

I have searched the internet but cant seem to find an official announcement as to the above questions ?

cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    What's the point of getting HD if your display is only 852*480? Surely the end result is the same as SD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not at all , as i said before i have the xbox 360 and when upping the resolution to 720p there is a massive difference.
    A good example of this is the xbox game fifa 06 at the lowest resolution which is 640*480 is blury and suffers from ghosting (not extreme but noticeable) however when i up the res to 1280*720 the picture is massively improved and there is no ghosting whatsoever.
    I understand that my tv will downscale to 480p but the higher the resolution of the input the better the picture is.

Obviously i would have loved a true high def tv but at the time i bought what i could afford.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox 360 games are optimised for 720p, so I wouldn't assume TV pictures would step up in the same way.

While there should in theory be some quality step up driving a 480p display, I'd put the £10 a month towards a new HD TV.