Good restaurants for vegans?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
Forum Member
The vegan cake went down well (my other thread!) so thank you! Now we are off for a meal to celebrate leaving uni, any suggestions on chains or resuatnts in York / hull / Lincoln that cater for vegans (other than the usual cr*ppy one option she seems to get stuck with)? There are a couple of places in York but they seem to be quite spicy orientated which excludes another member of our group who's not good with spice.

I was thinking Thai?

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    La Tasca are good for Vegans.

A lot of their Tapas options are just vegetables in an oil based dressing, or olive/ salad based.

The vegetarian Paella is also Vegan friendly (and delicious)
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Indian restaurants out there are pure veg, try those.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    The vegan cake went down well (my other thread!) so thank you! Now we are off for a meal to celebrate leaving uni, any suggestions on chains or resuatnts in York / hull / Lincoln that cater for vegans (other than the usual cr*ppy one option she seems to get stuck with)? There are a couple of places in York but they seem to be quite spicy orientated which excludes another member of our group who's not good with spice.

I was thinking Thai?
    Why would you think Thai is not as spicy as other cuisines?

Just go to the one in York as say you have a plain / non spicy eater and they should be able to cook up something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why would you think Thai is not as spicy as other cuisines?

Just go to the one in York as say you have a plain / non spicy eater and they should be able to cook up something.

Because Thai can do non-spicy dishes, the York menus were all samosas and similar that she doesn't like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Because Thai can do non-spicy dishes, the York menus were all samosas and similar that she doesn't like.

Proper Indian food is delicately spiced and does not blow your head off with chilli.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Proper Indian food is delicately spiced and does not blow your head off with chilli.

"Proper"?

I've had what I assume was authentic Indian dishes (from an Indian friend's mother, many years ago), and I can assure you it was damned hot (and damned nice). Hmmm, maybe I've overgeneralised, as well.

Both Indian and Thai dishes should be carefully checked for vegan credentials - Indian often using ghee, and Thai using shrimp paste and fish sauce in many of their preparations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »

I agree that its not as hot as the chav-tastic appealing ones that many places sell to go with an IV of beer :D but its still spicy to the non-spice-liking-tongue, I can't stand curries etc, despite having some homecooked authentic indian dishes, its all just so gloupey :D I can handle some spice, but most indian cuisine is too heavily flavoured for me, so my friend wouldn't of stood a chance!
    Summat wrote: »
    "Proper"?

I've had what I assume was authentic Indian dishes (from an Indian friend's mother, many years ago), and I can assure you it was damned hot (and damned nice). Hmmm, maybe I've overgeneralised, as well.

Both Indian and Thai dishes should be carefully checked for vegan credentials - Indian often using ghee, and Thai using shrimp paste and fish sauce in many of their preparations.

Thanks for the advice, in the end we went to a little vegan/veggie cafe in beverley (sugar and spice IIRC) it was lovely - I had a stilton and walnut panini (veggie obviously), and there were plenty of vegan cakes to attack too. We all stuffed ourselves, and were all happy!