New slot for UKTV

Comments

• DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Why buy LCN 63 for 2 hours a day of Dave Ja Vu? LCN 63 isn't desirable at all, compared to LCN 25.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    This is presumably why they've kept Dave Ja Vu going for a fairly pointless two hour outing in the middle of the night - so they didn't lose a reasonably decent channel number. If its work is now done in that respect it might disappear completely from Freeview when the new channel launches.
    Surely in the end, the new channel would take 20, G.O.L.D to 25, Dave Ja Vu to 26 and close Home or move it somewhere unless it's the new channel!
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely in the end, the new channel would take 20, G.O.L.D to 25, Dave Ja Vu to 26 and close Home or move it somewhere unless it's the new channel!

It would certainly make more sense to move it to 20. You have to wonder what longer term plans they might have for GOLD, even if this latest development is nothing to do with them.

At the time of DSO in my area, I heard a couple of questions on radio phone-ins from people who thought they had a fault with their equipment because they couldn't get GOLD as a free service. The advice given - that they could get it if they paid a subscription - still wasn't very accurate given the limited time it is streamed live via Top Up TV.

I have always thought services which aren't free should all be grouped together and not scattered about the EPG amongst the free services where they cause such confusion.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I have always thought services which aren't free should all be grouped together and not scattered about the EPG amongst the free services where they cause such confusion.

Pay TV services shouldn't show up on FTA equipment - and those which support cams should say "Insert Viewing Card" or "Encrypted Channel - Insert CAM and Viewing Card"...

If they don't then they weren't well designed in the first place!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess if GOLD ever became free, they would move it higher up like they did with Dave which is arguably the UKTV showcase channel on freeview
  • Big PhilBig Phil Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My money's on Eden - I think that's got the biggest potential audience and wouldn't really have much competition on Freeview.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Phil wrote: »
    My money's on Eden - I think that's got the biggest potential audience and wouldn't really have much competition on Freeview.
    It won't be Eden as UKTV considers the content to be 'premium' in their world, though I would I wouldn't mind it on Freeview either.
  • DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Pay TV services shouldn't show up on FTA equipment - and those which support cams should say "Insert Viewing Card" or "Encrypted Channel - Insert CAM and Viewing Card"...

If they don't then they weren't well designed in the first place!
    That only works when the broadcaster flags the channel as encrypted all the time, even when off-air. TUTV don't seem that bothered about doing this as I guess if the channels show up on FTA boxes as it advertises their presence.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Over on the broadcasting forum, someone is suggesting the BT Vision will be launching Gold, Watch and Alibi, as well as a few others. They will be streamed rather than via the aerial.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1763826

If it is correct, it does not leave many UK channels left - so it could be either Blighty or Eden or Food that they will consider launching. Or maybe a whole new channel called Shirley.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't care about any of those channels. Need Dave HD to join E4 HD, 4seven HD, and the two extra BBC HD channels on the forthcoming new HD mux.

*wakes up*
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been secretly prying for either watch or Eden on freeview for months.

How do you guys feel about splitting the bandwidth like they did with uk history/ bright ideas back in the day.

Eden could be broadcast from 6pm on 25.

Home could still be broadcast from 6am on 26.

With the option to increase broadcast times some point in the future, it would at lest make more use of the slots uktv already have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Over on the broadcasting forum, someone is suggesting the BT Vision will be launching Gold, Watch and Alibi, as well as a few others. They will be streamed rather than via the aerial.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1763826

If it is correct, it does not leave many UK channels left - so it could be either Blighty or Eden or Food that they will consider launching. Or maybe a whole new channel called Shirley.
    BT and UKTV have confirmed they are launching last year just nothing has launched yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Don't care about any of those channels. Need Dave HD to join E4 HD, 4seven HD, and the two extra BBC HD channels on the forthcoming new HD mux.

*wakes up*

I think with the limited Freeview space I think people would rather more channels than less HD channels, although if in future you could get the same amount of HD channels on a mux as you can SD channels. Also when more people own HDTV equipment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been secretly prying for either watch or Eden on freeview for months.

How do you guys feel about splitting the bandwidth like they did with uk history/ bright ideas back in the day.

Eden could be broadcast from 6pm on 25.

Home could still be broadcast from 6am on 26.

With the option to increase broadcast times some point in the future, it would at lest make more use of the slots uktv already have.
    A few years ago I would of said this was likely but I don't think it would happen now. Though im glad UKTV is making channels available on Freeview. But I can be pretty sure it won't be Gold, Watch, Alibi and fairly sure it won't be Eden. No way they would bring them to Freeview, not before the other UKTV channels
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT and UKTV have confirmed they are launching last year just nothing has launched yet.
    What BT said back in March was:
    UKTV’s branded linear channels will then be streamed to BT Vision set-top boxes from late 2012. Initial channels on the platform will be Watch..Gold.. and Alibi...Further UKTV branded channels including Good Food, Eden and Home are earmarked for future development on the BT Vision service.

UKTV may not have known it would be successful in acquiring another DTT slot but by my analysis only Blighty is not accounted for in the list of channels either on Freeview or planned for BT Vision. I suggest it is the most likely to appear on channel 25.

However, against this theory is the fact that Blighty is on TalkTalk TV alongside Alibi, Eden, Gold, Good Food, Home and Watch! But that may be because it was inherited from the previous Tiscali/TalkTalk TV service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want blighty, is such nothingy channel. I don't want home either, but at least if fills an niche for some viewers.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I really don't want blighty, is such nothingy channel. I don't want home either, but at least if fills an niche for some viewers.

More importantly, it is not a shopping channel.

It would be nice if CBS were to launch their Action channel on freeview, but I guess I could be dreaming for a long time - well that is if they do not launch an IP channel.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree, Blighty tends to get all the boring 'nice' programmes that don't suit the other UKTV channels. I remember when it was called UKTV People and it was just as bad then. I would put it out of it's misery, if I was UKTV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I think with the limited Freeview space I think people would rather more channels than less HD channels, although if in future you could get the same amount of HD channels on a mux as you can SD channels. Also when more people own HDTV equipment.

The purpose of allocating UHF channels 31-37 ('600 MHz band') to two new multiplexes is to encourage people to buy HD (therefore DVB-T2) capable equipment voluntarily. The government/Ofcom will only be able to force everyone else to do so if a majority of people have done so by themselves. (Both to avoid protest and to reduce the costs of carrying the poor and elderly across to the new technology, just as for digital switchover.)

The forced migration to DVB-T2 is a requirement for Ofcom to be able to auction UHF channels 48-60 ('700 MHz band') to the mobile networks. Frankly, the current set of transmissions won't fit into what channels remain, without reducing the overall capacity, if we stick to using DVB-T - some services would have to go. DVB-T2 makes it more practical.

A greater number/selection of SD channels is probably less likely to encourage take-up of the new equipment than HD channels will, although some surveys suggest people are more interested in more content than in picture quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    More importantly, it is not a shopping channel.

It would be nice if CBS were to launch their Action channel on freeview, but I guess I could be dreaming for a long time - well that is if they do not launch an IP channel.

At the risks of turning this in to a fantasy thread, I'm still holding out for the horror channel :D
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    At the risks of turning this in to a fantasy thread, I'm still holding out for the horror channel :D

Its not that good tbh.

I will just say, i hope UKTV use of for something good and not a +1 on permanent basis or something crap like Blighty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All depends on what they really want to get out of the 'new' channel.

Common sense would suggest they put something on that will get viewers so a showcase channel with a cross section of programmes from the pay and free services would be best.

Mix of comedy, general entertainment, drama and factual broadcasting it would show just how good the service is and could be used to encourage people to consider pay TV, look at how Sky do it on Pick TV.

But based on past choices they will stick Blighty on there to try and get more viewers.

I know programmes are about Britain etc but has anyone watched it or at least checked content on a TV guide for an average days broadcasting, might not be as bad as we are led to believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All depends on what they really want to get out of the 'new' channel.

Common sense would suggest they put something on that will get viewers so a showcase channel with a cross section of programmes from the pay and free services would be best.

Mix of comedy, general entertainment, drama and factual broadcasting it would show just how good the service is and could be used to encourage people to consider pay TV, look at how Sky do it on Pick TV.

But based on past choices they will stick Blighty on there to try and get more viewers.

I know programmes are about Britain etc but has anyone watched it or at least checked content on a TV guide for an average days broadcasting, might not be as bad as we are led to believe.

They could easily turn blighty into such a chainel. I wouldn't mind as long as the repeated stuff like alctraz and Grimm.
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    No one thought E4 would come to Freeview, and it did. No one thought Filmfour would come to Freeview, and it did. No one thought Dave would come to Freeview, and it did.

There's no reason why it couldn't be Watch or Gold. I think UKTV have realised that they are not a pull to subscription services and their biggest successes are in the free TV domain. Showcasing material with a view to encouraging take-up of subscription services is a bad idea since their channels do poorly in subscription-TV homes.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    No one thought Dave would come to Freeview, and it did.

Dave didn't exist before it launched on Freeview. It's predessor channel was UK Gold 2 (UK G2 and UKTV G2), which nobody gave a toss about coming to Freeview.

It works both ways though, those of us around in 2002 thought that TCM and Boomerang (FTA satellite channels at the time) were coming to Freeview... well when those channels finally did come to DTT it was in pay form on Top Up TV!