Options

Tory May to promise new 'Tweet-Bo' powers to clamp down on and ban net hate

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
THE HOME Secretary will promise new “Tweet-Bo” powers to ban extremists from spreading hatred on social media sites in a huge crackdown.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5956366/May-to-promise-new-Tweet-Bo-powers-to-clamp-down-on-net-hate.html

The trouble with things like this, they often tend to not strictly focus or be used for what there original use was quoted as.

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    THE HOME Secretary will promise new “Tweet-Bo” powers to ban extremists from spreading hatred on social media sites in a huge crackdown.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5956366/May-to-promise-new-Tweet-Bo-powers-to-clamp-down-on-net-hate.html

The trouble with things like this, they often tend to not strictly focus or be used for what there original use was quoted as.

what do? Laws?

Do you believe the law is a good idea if implemented correctly?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    what do? Laws?

Are you a big fan of the Labour terror laws now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Are you a big fan of the Labour terror laws now?

Don't you know it's rude to ask a question to a question. Seeing as you're not open to debate, I'll leave you to it.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do? Laws?

Not really, I'd prefer the police concentrated on catching real criminals, not teenage keyboard warriors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Not really, I'd prefer the police concentrated on catching real criminals, not teenage keyboard warriors.

so hate crime is ok to you? Perhaps leaflets through the door saying your going to be killed?

Or is the internet one area you feel should have exceptions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so hate crime is ok to you? Perhaps leaflets through the door saying your going to be killed?

Getting abuse on twitter is not the same as someone putting threatening letters through your door. People on Twitter don't know where you live.

Perhaps users of twitter should pay a fee to use the website, that way people that have no interest in it do not have to pay for policing it.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Don't you know it's rude to ask a question to a question. Seeing as you're not open to debate, I'll leave you to it.

I sense that he was trying to debate with you by pointing out an inconsistency in your position.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

That isn't hate speech that's threats to kill which is totally different. I generally feel that everyone should be allowed to express any opinion they want as long as long as they aren't telling others to break the law. Too many countries have slipped into authoritarianism because of laws against "inappropriate" speech were abused by their governments to the point where any dissent was inappropriate.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Apparently this will apply to all groups that have extremist views like BNP, EDL, UKIP...
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently this will apply to all groups that have extremist views like BNP, EDL, UKIP...

CND, Greenpeace, Oxfam, Stop the War, the WI........

Who defines "extremist"?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/01/russia-amendment-extremism/
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »

How deliciously romantic. Keyboard warriors indeed.

The reality is that they're sad little twonks with a gut full of bile who need to learn that heaping foul abuse on others is completely unacceptable.

Labour or Tory, whoever stops them gets a big thumbs up from me.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

The reality is that they're sad little twonks with a gut full of bile who need to learn that heaping foul abuse on others is completely unacceptable.

Assuming this is accurate someone needs to get a grip:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27949674
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laws like this apply to everyone, as we have seen.

It's like firing a shotgun into a crowd to deal with one person.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    What will Brooks Newmark get?

A Little Bo-Peep? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm slowly coming round to the view that online anonymity, across all areas of the Internet, comes at too high a price.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    The creep from this could be massive. These 'emergengy' laws have always been exploited well beyond their original intention. Sounds like a horrible piece of legistlation. Still, the idiotic public apparently are largely in favour of this law to assist in the fight against ISIS.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on what the crime is or indeed isn't. The cost of policing the internet is like a black hole.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah but this is not (supposed to be) about banning halfwits using twatter to threaten to rape celebrities. This is an attempt to suppress terrorist recruitment websites and as such the laws will be powerless

If China struggle to stop people reaching Tor, the UK doesn't have a hope
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Depends on what the crime is or indeed isn't. The cost of policing the internet is like a black hole.

I agree...a group sending in an organised fashion material intended to inflame hate/violence is not the same as the lone nut sending repeated rape threats to an individual is not the same as a person complaining to the cops that someone unfriended them on faceboob (or whatever you call it).

Personally I'd be charging the latter with wasting police time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm slowly coming round to the view that online anonymity, across all areas of the Internet, comes at too high a price.

I feel the same way about protecting the reputation of sticky fingered MP's :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the same way about protecting the reputation of sticky fingered MP's :D

:D

We shouldn't protect the reputation of sticky-fingered MP's. Throw them to the wolves. I'd just like to know, for sure, that they actually are sticky-fingered before we do so.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    That isn't hate speech that's threats to kill which is totally different. I generally feel that everyone should be allowed to express any opinion they want as long as long as they aren't telling others to break the law. Too many countries have slipped into authoritarianism because of laws against "inappropriate" speech were abused by their governments to the point where any dissent was inappropriate.

Would you care to name some of these countries ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    Would you care to name some of these countries ?

Russia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

We shouldn't protect the reputation of sticky-fingered MP's. Throw them to the wolves. I'd just like to know, for sure, that they actually are sticky-fingered before we do so.

I understand.

Personally I'm more of the opinion that our Westminster elite is long overdue an extended lesson in the art of making omelettes and egg related consequences.

But that's just me. ;-)

(I realise we're crossing threads here but the juxtaposition is an interesting one).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not going to stop abuse on the internet though.

It's called the world wide web for a reason.