Kate's Portrait - Not So Great?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
Forum Member
✭✭
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65226000/jpg/_65226304_83c280b4-fb78-465b-95b2-5e1f0fed69cf.jpg

I'd be very annoyed if I was her. She looks like an elderly lady in a wig, or she's just come in from a heavy weekend on the crack pipe :D

Your thoughts?

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing about Kate is that great but because she's who she is we should all pretend it's a wonderful picture, the best we've ever seen and fawn over it.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's awful, she looks really old!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put about 10 years on her. Cant see this guy getting another commission
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never found her to look anything special anyway to be honest. I have never understood the hype. She is average but has beautiful hair.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Blimey, not great is it?

Maybe the artist thought it'd be a good idea to try an make her look mature and dowdy or something?
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrid.

She looks better than that.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More caracature really. Poor attempt.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Isn't she 31? She looks 20 years older. The artist has artificially aged her around the eyes.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does look like her, and she does look a decade older than she is most of the time.

It's not flattering at all, but it's not wrong.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing the artist doesn't like the royals. She looks old enough to be her own mother :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it be near any portraits of Beatrice and Eugenie? Perhaps they were ordered to make Kate not look so good as otherwise it'd show the other two up.. ;)
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a public service warning to anyone vain enough to contemplate having their portrait painted.
    She could at least have done a topless shot, wouldn't be the first time.
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks like it was done by the franklin mint.
    strewth, that is awful.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the sound down on the telly, and just glanced up as the camera had pulled in to the face, so couldn't see the long hair and didn't know who it was meant to be. I thought it was Kat from eastenders.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like Helen Lederer's older sister
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    When he was asked to paint "The Duchess", I think the artist had Jimmy Saville's late mother in mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Someone explain to me the point of having a portrait painted in 2013. I could understand if it was done in a different style, but what's the point of trying to paint a realistic looking likeness when you would get a better result just taking a photo?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    She looks a bit older there, I love her hair though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the more I look at it, the more I think it is really good.

Maybe the artist was not trying to make her look good. Maybe it was a representation of how she looked at the time of painting. I certainly wish I had their talent.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even in real life she could pass for late thirties. In the portrait she looks elderly!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Nothing about Kate is that great but because she's who she is we should all pretend it's a wonderful picture, the best we've ever seen and fawn over it.
    Hardly. I'm sure royal portraits have been criticised in the past, and there's certainly nothing at all to stop us criticising this one. I don't think this one was universally popular either.
    pianoforte wrote: »
    looks like it was done by the franklin mint.
    strewth, that is awful.
    That's about right. It has all the blandness and dullness of a Franklin Mint "art" work.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, that's terrible! She looks way older and she looks stoned or something.:D
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    It puts a few years on her, but I don't think it's a bad picture.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soon as i saw it i thought she looked a lot older
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes her look old, the artists depiction of her eyes doesn't help - they look like the eyes of someone much older.

Her facial lines also aren't that severe.